Importing log files after working portable, reference issue

V2 error reports
MW0GWG
Novice Class

Importing log files after working portable, reference issue

Post by MW0GWG »

Hi,

I am having an issue which I have partially resolved, I import a .adif file from programs i use whilst portable,

I initially had an issue where I would FILE - IMPORT ADIF, but, I had left the Award Check box as deep, but what this was doing was copying my reference (normally sota) to the contacts reference field also.

I subsequently realised what i was doing and I now set the award check to NO.

all good, but now if I go back to previously imported qso's that have duplicated my reference into the contacts reference it will not let me delete the reference, well, it lets me delete it but when i click the save then the tick button, then re open the qso the reference information is still in there.

I use the references to filter only sota or pota , but i am getting false results due to the reference being copied, anyone know how i can delete the references i dont want please

thanks in advance

Richard MW0GWG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Importing log files after working portable, reference issue

Post by G4POP »

Richard,
Contact me directly by email as this sounds quiet strange and I need to investigate - Email is on QRZ
73 Terry G4POP
MW0GWG
Novice Class

Post by MW0GWG »

Hi Terry

email sent to you

Richard
hb9diz
Novice Class

Post by hb9diz »

Probably same or similar here, quite annoying. SOTA context here.

Will send in documentation, too.

Thanks and 73,
Markus HB9DIZ
hb9diz
Novice Class

Post by hb9diz »

Sent to you, Terry, thanks in advance for your advise on what to do.

About 1,000 of 14,000 SOTA QSOs imported via ADIF are affected. The ADIF files seem clean to me.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

hb9diz wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 09:25 Sent to you, Terry, thanks in advance for your advise on what to do.

About 1,000 of 14,000 SOTA QSOs imported via ADIF are affected. The ADIF files seem clean to me.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ
As of 12.25 GMT nothing received from you by email?
73 Terry G4POP
hb9diz
Novice Class

Post by hb9diz »

Dear Terry, back now from holidays. Just resent now my e-mail to your e-mail address taken from QRZ.com.
Mni tnx for looking into this.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ
hb9diz
Novice Class

Post by hb9diz »

My biggest problem here was to select correctly the QSOs to clean/update. The affected QSOs followed a special "rule". I didn't feel fit enough to write an SQL statement to select that and process an action on it… so I decided on cleaning ALL QSOs with a partner SOTA summit reference and to rebuild their info. I used ADIF Master and Excel to update my log. My stuff is SOTA based exclusively what makes it probably a bit easier.

First I had to fix a problem in my outdoor logging software VK port-a-log. I had there a setting to write my own summit to the COMMENT field since ever and for an unknown reason. But Log4OM does not assume to receive my own summit from the COMMENT field when applying its logic to determine the Reference2 content. Thus, first step was to disable that so as not to create the problem again and again in the future. Using VK port-a-log here for >5y now as my onsite logging device on a cheap old (but still solid) Android tablet and still happy with it and the overall setup to do my logging stuff.

I did the following around my Log4OM logbook:
1. Create 2 full ADIF exports of my 14,000 contacts from the QSO manager: one with about 10,000 without any partner SOTA summit info, and one with about 4,000 with one or two summit references showing up in the Reference2 field. (I had activated in the User Preferences since the beginning "SOTA" for Reference2 to have Log4OM the SOTA info there.)
2. Taking both into ADIF Master software, seeing there that my own summit reference and the partner reference(s) are in the correct ADIF fields – happy about that.
3. Deleting in both ADIF files the content of the COMMENT field.
4. Closing the file of the 10,000 since the rest of this ADIF file seems ok to me.
5. Taking the file of the 4,000 and deleting there the content in the L4ONG_QSO_AWARD_REFERENCES field.
6. Highlight in ADIF Master the 2 columns with my own and the partner summit references – they are neighbour columns. Copy/paste to Excel – this works, hi.
7. Writing an Excel formula: writing "" (nothing) as the new value of the field of the partner summit reference, where my own summit reference appears in the field of the partner summit reference.
8. Copy and paste these altered 2 columns from Excel back to ADIF Master 1:1 to the very same place where I had taken them from. Even that works correctly, hi.
9. Then taking the altered 4,000 ADIF file back to Log4OM into a new empty database and letting be processed with the regular deep scan for awards.
10. Then taking the unaltered 10,000 ADIF file back to Log4OM.

The result looks correct for me. Thanks Terry for having taken care of it (resp. of me) on a 1:1 email basis!

It was helpful here that you can create/alter/delete that much easily a QSO database in Log4OM.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ