automated omnirig & Log4OM startup in admin mode

W4GHV
Advanced Class

automated omnirig & Log4OM startup in admin mode

Post by W4GHV »

Is there a way to avoid the OK check at the start of these? Its a PIA.

Is there an orderly way to exit Log4OM not requiring admin OK?? The Win4Icom program will start the programs but cannot exit Log4OM.
Ideas on streamlining this would be appreciated.

73, Bo W4GHV since '54
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: automated omnirig & Log4OM startup in admin mode

Post by KI5IO »

W4GHV wrote: 19 May 2023, 02:21 Is there a way to avoid the OK check at the start of these? Its a PIA.

Is there an orderly way to exit Log4OM not requiring admin OK?? The Win4Icom program will start the programs but cannot exit Log4OM.
Ideas on streamlining this would be appreciated.

73, Bo W4GHV since '54
Bo,

When I happen to run Log4OM, etc.. with Admin privileges I don't get any extra prompts to do so. I simply adjust the Taskbar or Start Icon to run with Admin Levels. Once I'm done with having the need to run with those elevated levels I will change it back to "non-admin" levels.

If you are getting additional prompts when running any APP with Admin Level settings then such is related to the level you have chosen for your Windows O/S. You can adjust that level under the User Account Control Settings in your Windows O/S control section. Commonly called UAC Settings.

As for the prompt when closing Log4OM and the CAT engine autostart ... both are covered in our extensive User Guide, but to make things easier for you I've included screen clips of those toggles in the Configuration.

As for Win4Icom I can't help you with anything related to that APP. You would have to reach out to the developer of the APP for support.

Attachments
CAT.JPG
CAT.JPG (110.39 KiB) Viewed 695 times
AskExit.JPG
AskExit.JPG (91.17 KiB) Viewed 695 times
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Post by W4GHV »

Thanks for the reply. Sadly no fix was found.

I had the Log4OM box unclicked and the UAC only showed a simple slide bar I had set half way.

This isn't a Log4OM 'problem' but I thought its solution would be useful by others.

Omnirig has the same characteristics, and needs the OK and big X to kill

I tried a program called taskkill.exe but it wouldn't kill them, probably because of admin mode.

I think I saw another way to kill programs and will look for it.

My only concern is does it allow Log4OM to exit normally, making backup, etc.

I should be able to test that once I re-find the killer program.
I'm 83 and named it killall.bat, with shutdown commands for three two programs. Then I forgot what it was and deleted it. I'll name it better next time.

Thanks again for the response.
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Bo,

One more item to check is on the Configuration / CAT panel select the Omnirig tab and make sure that the [OMNIRIG] Disconnect CAT at first OFF event is enabled.

That might help as well.
Plano, TX
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Post by W4GHV »

Tnx!
I've tried runas and taskkill a lot but cannot get them to work or accept my password. Lots of info on the web about them.
I'll spend a couple more hours on Google. Retirement is GREAT! :)
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Bo,

Something, somewhere is not properly installed and is grabbing hold of things and not letting them work.

Reverting back to my trouble-shooting approach of "peel the onion one layer at a time" ... I would return APPs to "basics" and add one element at a time.

Case in point ... turn off all APPs, turn on Log4OM and let it connect (via CAT Omnirig) to your Rig. This of course in "regular" level ... NOT Administrative.

Test basics of clicking on cluster spots, making a CW or SSB contact, save the Q, etc.. Change the VFO on your rig ... does it reflect a change on the Log4OM display, etc., etc.. Does Log4OM properly shut down, etc.??

If that works ... then add "one" element at a time and again test in the very same and methodical method.

Don't bring in the "suite" program you have that supposedly controls all. Again ... focus on basics and once step at a time then add the layers and see what is causing the issue.

You should not have to run all those 'kill-all' routines as that is basically masking a problem. In fact you are the first person I've heard trying to use such and maybe I live a sheltered life, but I do deal with basic fundamentals ... one layer at a time.
Plano, TX
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Post by W4GHV »

Sheltered life? https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV
I was in Albuquerque in the 70's when it all started! Little kid in a T shirt named Bill was there.

Personally I don't think any programs should be run in admin mode, but that is the recommended way for these two programs.
I was just following instructions.

I hate to undo a working system and return to non-admin mode. I get enough Not Responding delays and stubborn Omnirig startups as it is.

I was pleased to see Log4OM DOES exit gracefully if you hit the big X instead of Exit. Nice!

All I need is a batch file that will hit the big X for me when I close down Win4Icom. It's normal close down doesn't work on admin mode programs.
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Bo,

You must be doing WSJTx and/or JTDX along with JTAlert and/or Gridtracker ??

That is the only time certain APPs must be run in Admin Mode. Omnirig is the key for that to allow WSJTx and Log4OM both to access.

I was able to get things set up with WSJTx and JTAlert into Log4OM without having to run in Admin mode. I can't recall how I did it and it has been well over 1-1/2 years as I stopped doing any FTxx work at that time.
Plano, TX
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Bo,

Since you are using Win4Icom, you don't need to run any of your ham programs in admin mode. I assume (I know I shouldn't do that) you have Win4Icom setup so that different programs (Log4OM, WSJT-X, JTDX, etc) that need to connect to your rig do so through Win4Icom (Tools/Settings/3rd Party SW/HW). The only program that connects through Omnirig is Log4OM. Omnirig then connects through Win4Icom. I use Win4Yaesu, but the operation should be pretty much the same as Win4Icom.

Incidentally, if you are using WSJT-X or JTDX, Log4OM doesn't need to connect to the radio. It gets the frequency from WSJT-X or JTDX. Same for other programs, such as N1MM+. The only time I have Log4OM connect to the rig is if I am logging a QSO from the keyboard, or using the cluster to switch the rig to a certain frequency. OTOH, I have never had any problems with Log4OM connecting to the rig using Win4Yaesu at the same time other WSJT-X is also connected.

I don't usually have Win4Yaesu close Log4OM, but I checked, and it works here. Win4Yaesu starts Log4OM, and, if I have Log4OM set to auto-start CAT, that works also. When I close Win4Yaesu, I do get a popup that asks if I want to close Log4OM. That might get hidden behind other things on the screen. I don't run Log4OM as admin.

My suggestion is to NOT run Log4OM as admin, and go from there.

Jim N6VH