L4OM ignores QRZ Callsign lookup with country prefix

oe9shv
Novice Class

L4OM ignores QRZ Callsign lookup with country prefix

Post by oe9shv »

Hello,
while operating outside of the own country....

when entering a callsign with a country prefix for which there is a separate QRZ.COM entry available, is ignored.
Example with my QRZ -
QSO lookup on F/OE9SHV shows the data of OE9SHV even there is a subpage F/OE9SHV which you can see at QRZ.COM

In my view L4OM should use prefix QRZ.COM entries if there is an entry and only if not available fallback to the callsign without the country prefix.
Reason: QRZ.COM is offering a feature to administrate country prefix qrz-sites for the main callsign, which some OMs (also I do) use when being QRV in foreign countries, which is the case in my situation - having a second QTH in another country - I am not talking about mobile activities.

My former Log programm HRDeluxe accepted the foreign Prefix lookup to qrz.com / so I am a bit confused about the Log4OM approach

73 Harry
Last edited by oe9shv on 25 May 2023, 16:04, edited 6 times in total.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: L4OM ignores QRZ Callsign lookup with country prefix

Post by KI5IO »

This item has been moved to the Feature Topic.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Basically because there are no "info" about existance of a secondary callsign on QRZ.COM, so Log4OM needs to make 2 different calls, one to "full callsign" and one to "simple one", slowing down the process.
I can eventually handle this situation, but whis will possibly slow down every single callsign lookup on a call with a prefix/suffix (such as QRP or simply /P)

Any comment by the community?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
oe9shv
Novice Class

Post by oe9shv »

Thank you Daniele for your reply and thoughts.
I am really also interested how the community handle this - I am most of the time mobile / portable in foreign countries - others might not see this as an issue at all.

The slowdown for lookups would only occur for those callsigns with a prefix followed by / so others not working QSOs with foreign country prefixes would not face a slowdown, but would benefit of correct data like geografic location etc.

Looking forward to further comments,
73 Harry
oe9shv
Novice Class

Post by oe9shv »

IW3HMH wrote: 26 May 2023, 14:25 Basically because there are no "info" about existance of a secondary callsign on QRZ.COM, so Log4OM needs to make 2 different calls, one to "full callsign" and one to "simple one", slowing down the process.
I can eventually handle this situation, but whis will possibly slow down every single callsign lookup on a call with a prefix/suffix (such as QRP or simply /P)

Any comment by the community?
Hello Daniele,
today I found out an interesting behaviour of QRZ.COM when doing manual lookups on their website directly:
1. entering a callsign on QRZ e.g. my Callsign OE9SHV delivers the correct QRZ data - which is also standard in L4OM
2. entering a callsign on QRZ with foreign country prefix e.g. F/OE9SHV delivers my subpage which is existing
3. entering a callsign on QRZ with foreign country prefix e.g. I/OE9SHV delivers again my default data OS9SHV because I do not have a Italy subpage

This leads me to the suggestion, that Log4OM could always lookup the full callsign entered in QSOs - so only one lookup is needed and all data are always correct.

Please try it out - I hope this would be the solution without slowing down anything if you use the full callsign with prefix as well as suffix if any is entered in the QSO callsign field

73 Harry