E-mail Settings

KA4CDN
Old Man

E-mail Settings

Post by KA4CDN »

Has anyone gotten E-mail settings that work?

I've tried for hours w/out any success. I fill everything out and click the TEST button only to get an popup that says "Email exception: Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was:"

I really wanted to get gmail working but that is going to be a non-starter as they now use OAuth2. I've tried two other SMTP outgoing accounts I have and neither works.

Has anyone gotten this to work with gmail? How about yahoo or hotmail? I'm will to create other free accounts if I have to.

Mike
Log4OM version 2.28.0.0
User Guide: Updated: 17/06/2023 11:39 AM
N9MWB
New user

Re: E-mail Settings

Post by N9MWB »

I was having the exact same error and resolved it. As I have 2 factor authentication set up, I created a new app password in gmail for Log4OM to use. I then set the email settings in Log4OM to:
Sender e-mail: my-full-gmail-address
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Use SSL checked
SMTP Requires authorization checked
SMTP User: my-full-gmail-address
SMTP Password: app password generated by gmail

In my case the problem was that I was trying port 465, but it appears Log4OM is actually using TLS on my system so switching the port to 587 cured the problem

73, Todd
ak7vv
Novice Class

Post by ak7vv »

Thanks for posting this. I've set this up exactly the same way on the Google Suite account and clicking TEST still fails. Currently, it seems to fail silently with app password; without app password I got a pop-up failure message. Even with the debug level set to trace, all I see is a single line like this when I click the TEST button. Nothing in any email account I send this to. Not in spam, not anywhere else. No idea what the message would even look like if it did succeed.

07:48:01.199 Info: [dje_zPWJ96MQ7N5XLQWH6J5WM5ZHJ2WMQ_ejd] : Sending test e-mail to christian@kuhtz.com

No idea if the app thought it finished or failed. Or why it failed. How do I debug this?

73 Christian AK7VV
ak7vv
Novice Class

Post by ak7vv »

Update. Eventually I do get the pop-up and a message in the log that says:

07:57:21.212 Error: [dje_zPWJ96MQ7N5XLQWH6J5WM5ZHJ2WMQ_ejd][MoveNext] : [EXCEPTION] Failure sending mail.

Can't find anything else. Help pse? :)

Thx
73 Christian AK7VV