New references e.g. POTA & WWFF

General discussions V2
PC9DB
Advanced Class

New references e.g. POTA & WWFF

Post by PC9DB »

Hello,

Lately there are more and more activations on air from e.g. POTA with relative new references who aren't in the Log4OM reference list.
I know that there are ways to update the lists yourself and that individual references can be added "on the go" (that's what I do) but I'm wondering if there will be updated lists embedded in a general Log4OM update from time to time?!?

Many thanks :) ,

Mark de PC9DB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: New references e.g. POTA & WWFF

Post by G4POP »

PC9DB wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 10:27 Hello,

Lately there are more and more activations on air from e.g. POTA with relative new references who aren't in the Log4OM reference list.
I know that there are ways to update the lists yourself and that individual references can be added "on the go" (that's what I do) but I'm wondering if there will be updated lists embedded in a general Log4OM update from time to time?!?

Many thanks :) ,

Mark de PC9DB

It would only become possible to automate the update of references if POTA provided a download API like IOTA, SOTA & LOTW, then we could add it to the scheduler.

Meanwhile we provde the next best alternative which is a manual bulk update from award manager or manually adding a reference during a QSO
73 Terry G4POP
PC9DB
Advanced Class

Post by PC9DB »

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply.
If the reference database is not updated once in a while, for example with a Log4OM software update, I'll have to dig into the process of updating the reference lists myself.

I get the general idea but I'm still a bit hesistant, scared of messing up the reference list all together in the process........

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

PC9DB wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 09:40 Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply.
If the reference database is not updated once in a while, for example with a Log4OM software update, I'll have to dig into the process of updating the reference lists myself.

I get the general idea but I'm still a bit hesistant, scared of messing up the reference list all together in the process........

Couple of things to remember

1. If you make a mistake a fresh download from the 'Settings/update resources/Log4OM awards' will overwrite the awards file

2. Any updates you do should be saved by you so that they dont get lost in a program update which includes 1 above

3. It helps everyone is when you update a reference list in the awards if you email the award xml file to Clause our award manager for inclusion in the default award set.

There is plenty of how to information about this in our user guide but if you get stuck please ask for help
73 Terry G4POP
PC9DB
Advanced Class

Post by PC9DB »

Hi Terry (and all others),

I'm trying to update the POTA reference list but the import gets stuck on the DXCC list.

In the .csv file the DXCC is a number (e.g. 291 for US mainland) in the "entityId" column.

If I try to import the file, I get a whole lot of errors in the black log screen. All stating "DXCC not found".
The most strange part is that some lines do not generate this error.

Any thoughts on this issue?
Schermafbeelding 2024-03-05 151619.png
Schermafbeelding 2024-03-05 151619.png (178.22 KiB) Viewed 936 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Does the file eventually end loading, bearing in mind that the file is huge so takes some time to load!

If it does eventually load do the references apear in the list and work correctly?
73 Terry G4POP
PC9DB
Advanced Class

Post by PC9DB »

It does load eventually, but (by far most of) the references are not linked to a DXCC..... :?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

It may be that after import log4om links to dxcc

Have you tried entering a call and checking if ONLY references for that country are available?
73 Terry G4POP
PC9DB
Advanced Class

Post by PC9DB »

Just tried it. I had to save the award and close the award manager screen to do that of course.
No luck...... With a Dutch call in the "call field", A LOT of references are selectable. In fact, the comment "Too many items. Please refine search..." is shown. Filtering to "K-" clearly shows that USA parks show up with a Dutch callsign in the call input field.
Schermafbeelding 2024-03-05 234400.png
Schermafbeelding 2024-03-05 234400.png (115.68 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Also, now my local POTA database in Log4OM is FUBAR. I've clicked: 'Settings/update resources/Log4OM awards' but all stays the same....?!? :shock: :shock:
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Did you restart after the update and do you realise the update takes some time due to the millions of references?

And did you restore or delete the old user award file
73 Terry G4POP