Recommendation for JT65-HF / Log4OM Combo

Regarding connecting to external program's.
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Recommendation for JT65-HF / Log4OM Combo

Post by wb9kpt »

Hi, I'm a new user, who really likes Log4OM so far, trying to figure out the best way to integrate one of the JT65-HF programs. I have spent several hours trying different rig control options described in the forum, but none of them seem to give me good results. I am using VSPE to split the serial port when suggested. I have an Icom IC-7600.

I can't get both Log4OM and the JT65-HF program (JT65-HF, WSJT-X or JT65-HF HB9HQX) to play nice together. The issue is getting the frequency readout or PTT control to work in a reliable fashion. I can get either Log4OM or the JT65-HF program to work stand alone, but not together.

Would appreciate some suggestions...

Bill - WB9KPT
Evergreen, CO
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Recommendation for JT65-HF / Log4OM Combo

Post by G4POP »

Are you using JTAlert with your JT65 programs as detailed on page 181 >>>> of our user guide?
73 Terry G4POP
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Post by wb9kpt »

Hi Terry, thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am able to use JTAlert, as described on page 172 of the user guide - do I have a different version of the user guide than you are referring to? Logging a QSO is not the issue, it's simultaneous radio control from Log4OM and a JT65-HF. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

- Assumption that both Log4OM (v1.21) and WSJT-X (v1.4) can simultaneously work through OmniRig control
- Start OmniRig control (v1.15)
- Start WSJT-X (configured in the radio control tab for "OmniRig Rig1")
- WSJT-X works fine, full control of IC-7600, including PTT transmit
- Start Log4OM, OmniRig Settings screen pops up, hit OK
- WSJT-X pops up Rig Control Error Screen, Do you want to reconfigure the radio interface?
- If you try and reconfigure, WSJT-X hangs up... eventually

Seems like OmniRig will not allow two different programs to control the same radio?

I have also tried VSPE splitting of the IC-7600 com Port (with other IC-7600 CAT control selections in each program), but ultimately end up with one of the programs no longer connected.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

I have WSJT-X version - v1.5.0-rc2, working well with OmniRig and Log4OM. That may be a pre-release version. I know that the developer has made some changes to how WSJT-X handles OmniRig, and I had some of those difficulties which you described. But now both programs work fine at the same time via OmniRig. You might also try setting your OmniRig Poll int to something like 100 ms, and the Timeout to something like 200ms. That helped my setup respond quicker.

If you can't find that release, or it does not solve the issue, I would recommend posting the issue to the WSJT-X Yahoo Groups at - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wsj ... pics/14073 The author of WSJT-X is very responsive to issues with OmniRig.

I hope that helps.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Post by wb9kpt »

Doug, I will try the newer version of WSJT-X and see if that resolves my problems - thanks for the suggestion.

I can also report that I successfully integrated with JT65-HF HB9HQX as follows:
- VPSE Eterlogic v0.938.4.846
- Log4OM with OmniRig
- HB9HQX v0.9.98.0 with Commander v11.3.9
- JTAlerts (with logging) v2.6.1

I'm pleased with the results, and have officially transitioned to Log4OM full time.