MRP40 and Log4OM

Regarding connecting to external program's.
AC8WS
New user

MRP40 and Log4OM

Post by AC8WS »

Hello everyone.... could use a little help. I have an IC-7300 set up to work with FLDigi (USB + USB into remote port), WSJTX, JTAlert etc - all working well. I could not get MRP40 working via CAT due to COM port conflicts (Omni rig is set on COM 4 - the remote is on COM 11). COM 4 conflicted and could not be selected in MRP40, COM 11 could be selected but would not run the rig. (I even tried to change the CV-I address of the remote to match the main 7300 without results). If Log4OM is not running I can run MRP40 via CAT. I tried Hamlib with the same results. I am now using a Signalink (no CAT control - sound card only) and MRP40 is running well. I have a preset on the IC-7300 just for this with DATA MOD set to ACC for this to work. Interestingly CW Skimmer which uses Omni rig as well will play nicely with both Log4OM and MRP40 and controls the IC-7300 frequencies via CAT.

The question is logging from MRP40 into Log4OM. I am running both as administrator. I have Log4OM monitoring MRP40's mini-log. When I press save in the MRP40 mini-log it is sent to Log4OM and appears in the recent QSO's tab HOWEVER frequency is not logged. Log4OM "knows" the frequency - the display is correct but it does not integrate with the mini-log import. Date, Time, Call Sign, Name, Band, RST is logged because it is part of the mini-log. As frequency is not part of the mini-log it is not imported. Is there any way to make this happen? Currently after each QSO I quickly double click the entry in Log4OM and edit the QSO manually inserting the frequency.

The only solution to the CAT problem I have come up with involves purchasing a WinKeyer which is now supported by MRP40 and which would create a new, non conflicting COM port address. While this might resolve the COM port conflict I don't see how it would solve the frequency logging issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you
Joel
AC8WS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: MRP40 and Log4OM

Post by G4POP »

I dont think you fully understand how MRP40 works

1. MRP40 does NOT use CAT control to define the mode and frequency from the radio, you set the band in MRP40 MANUALLY and of course the mode is recorded as CW because its a CW only program!

2. MRP40 can use a com port but ONLY to trigger PTT via a simple external USB interface that connects to the key socket of your radio but NOT using the same com port as that used by other software for CAT control, you already found it causes conflicts and it does not work. You can build an interface yourself there are plenty of designs on the web.

3. MRP40 can send via the soundcard and this is primarily intended for the cheap interfaces that use VOX like Signalink.

4. MRP40 talks to a Winkeyer unit which in turn triggers the morse key socket on your radio, this is the best method and units are inexpensive compared to what you have spent on radio and aerials.

5. Logging is achieved by using the Log4OM ADIF monitor to read the MRP40 log file which is an ADIF file.

There is not a frequency included in the MRP40 ADIF file because MRP40 does not know what the frequency is because MRP40 DOES NOT USE CAT, therefore Log4OM cannot record a frequency for the QSO.

Log4OM does not, cannot and will not combine the frequency information it collects from your radio with the incoming ADIF data because that could cause incorrect data to be saved in Log4OM.

NOTE
If you are reluctant to spend money on a Winkeyer or make an interface then perhaps a message to the author of MRP40 requesting that he add Omnirig support might achieve what your expecting.

Alternatively use the Log4OM winkeyer support which will log all of the information and remove the need to use ADIF monitor or MRP40, however I suggest that you update to Log4OM version 2 because the Winkeyer support in V2 is far better than in V1
73 Terry G4POP
AC8WS
New user

Post by AC8WS »

Terry

Thank you for your explanation. You are correct I did not understand how MRP40 works, specifically how it used CAT control or that the USB/serial cable needed to go to the Key input on the IC-7300. I had emailed the author but received only a brief reply suggesting I set it up via a Signalink. Your explanation was much more helpful and informative. I am using V2 and have been since it was released. I also have been looking at a WinKeyer which are just recently back in stock. They cost significantly less than what I have already spent on the Signalink / MRP40 setup. I can certainly use it with MRP40 but it will not solve my logging issue. I just looked at the WinKeyer support in Log4OM and it appears that it will solve both my keying and my logging problems. I think that the SignaLink will be repurposed and a WinKeyer is in my near future. I might try to email the author to include Omni-rig support but I’m not holding my breath. Still waiting for it to occur in FLDigi.

Thanks again
73 Joel AC8WS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

You dont need omnirig with FLDigi the 7300 can be set up for both see our user guide pages specific to the 7300

It does require a CAT interface connected to the Remote socket on the back and a USB connection as you have now

See G4ZLP for a range of Data/Cat/CW (Winkeyer) interfaces
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Please in future post to the version 2 part of this forum
73 Terry G4POP