Integrating WSJT-X with Log4OM

Regarding connecting to external program's.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Integrating WSJT-X with Log4OM

Post by NN7D »

Hi all,

Well, now I am on my 4th JT65 software trial. Thanks to Juergen (DF5WW) who suggested I try WSJT-X. I have found WSJT-X to decode significantly more signals. I have conducted a few tests, and on average, WSJT-X will decode about 20% more signals than JT65-HF or its two derivatives: Comfort and HB9HQX. On one test over 15 minutes of decoding, with WSJT-X and JT65-HF running parallel listening to the same signals from a SignaLink USB device, WSJT-X decoded 73 signals, while JT65-HF decoded 61. I also found JT65-HF to be a least as good as Comfort and HB9HQX at decoding.

I should note that I really liked the JAT65-HB9HQX version as far as the user interface and its built in logging, display of worked stations on same band, worked on different bands, worked grid, statistics window, and the antenna bearing information. But, it was a QSO loser! I can't tell you how many times I would respond to a station's call, see a nice strong reply on the waterfall and have NO decoding results. Very frustrating.

Now, back to WSJT-X. I have it working well with JTAlert-X version - qso's logged with WSJT-X are automatically sent to JTAlert and on to Log4OM. Nice! I also have PTT working and can transmit fine.

What I need to figure out now, is how to get the CAT function working in WSJT-X, to work with my IC-7600, which is using the USB connection for CAT using OmniRig. I have tried all the settings but to no avail. There is no OmniRig interface with WSJT-X, you just have to select a Com port or USB. I have tried both to no avail. I am wondering it I have to install and use a VSP, so that OmniRig and WSJT-X can share the same com port for CAT control?

Would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks so much!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Integrating WSJT-X with Log4OM

Post by G4POP »

Doug,
You need to use a virtual serial port software splitter like Eterlogic
73 Terry G4POP
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Post by PB4FUN »

You can use wsjt-x without cat and just use the ptt with another port.
I use Log4OM with cat using COM8 and WSJT-X using COM6
Only thing you need to do extra is manually change frequency on the TRX if needed.
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Thanks Terry for confirming that.

I downloaded VSP Manager by F5FR, but I am a bit lost. I created a virtual pair (com3&4), but I don't see how they relate to the physical port (Com6) which OmniRig is currently using to communicate with the rig. I tried to follow your instructions in your Log4OM manual for using VSP manager to facilitate SDR Radio working with Log4OM, but I get the feeling that is not a good example. When I try to connect OmniRig to one of the virtual pairs (3 or 4), I get no CAT control with Log4OM. I originally tried virtual pair of 8&9, but OmniRig only displays com ports up to 7. I did notice in your manual you used 19&20, and OmniRig displayed Com 20, so not sure what is going on. Using Windows 7 in Device Manager, ELTIMA Virtual Serial Ports (COM3->COM4) and (COM4->COM3) are showing up as expected.

What I am attempting to have Log4OM and Hamport using OmniRig to communicate with the rig (IC-7600), which it does now, and add in WSJT-X for at least automatic frequency readout.

i should also re-mention that I have WSJT-X logging fine to Log4OM.

Thanks for your help once again!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W7DRM wrote:Thanks Terry for confirming that.

I downloaded VSP Manager by F5FR, but I am a bit lost. I created a virtual pair (com3&4), but I don't see how they relate to the physical port (Com6) which OmniRig is currently using to communicate with the rig.

You need a splitter, not a pair, and as I don't use Eltima VSP I can't see if you can use this software to create one
OmniRig only displays com ports up to 7. I did notice in your manual you used 19&20, and OmniRig displayed Com 20, so not sure what is going on. Using Windows 7 in Device Manager, ELTIMA Virtual Serial Ports (COM3->COM4) and (COM4->COM3) are showing up as expected.
Omnirig does not seem to recognise all brands of VSP but I know it works with Eterlogic VSP Manager, this is probably why its not seeing the Eltima ports correctly
What I am attempting to have Log4OM and Hamport using OmniRig to communicate with the rig (IC-7600), which it does now, and add in WSJT-X for at least automatic frequency readout.
I downloaded and installed WSJT-X and it works fine for me with Eterlogic VSPM - See screen shots below of configuration screen and test

I have an Eterlogic splitter com 3 that is split to Com 9 (See screen shot)

Com 3 is the physical port that my rig is connected to

All of my software connects to com 9 e.g. Omnirig, WSJT-X etc., etc.

The Eterlogic VSPM will allow up to 8 (Eight) programs to use the Splitter port (Com 9) simultaneously.

Eterlogic can be downloaded from here http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

There are other VSP programs like ComOCom but please be aware that not all software will recognise some VSP com ports
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-05-22 07.50.31.png
Screenshot 2014-05-22 07.50.31.png (33.93 KiB) Viewed 17623 times
Screenshot 2014-05-22 07.46.56.png
Screenshot 2014-05-22 07.46.56.png (45.84 KiB) Viewed 17623 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (62.05 KiB) Viewed 17623 times
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Terry, you are the best!

Ok, I understand, I need a splitter, not a VSP pair. I downloaded the Eterlogic VSPE - Emulator, and have it working. I used my physical (well its a USB to UART Bridge) COM6 and created a virtual COM7 via the Splitter option, as you illustrated. Now WSJT-X connects to COM7 and reads out the rig frequency, but OmniRig will not connect to COM7! And, as expected it will no longer connect to COM6, so no rig readout or control from Log4OM or HamPort. I've tried everything, rebooting everything, no can do.

Its late, I am going to sleep on it and give it a go in the morning. Maybe I will try a lower or higher COM port...

Thanks much for you help.

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

To save forum bandwidth send me screenshots of all setup screens including the Eterlogic one by direct email
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Roger, will do. Thanks!
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Post by PB4FUN »

G4POP wrote:To save forum bandwidth send me screenshots of all setup screens including the Eterlogic one by direct email
If you are worried about bandwidth I could recommend you a cheap host with an extreme amount of bandwidth and webspace.
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

PB4FUN wrote:
G4POP wrote:To save forum bandwidth send me screenshots of all setup screens including the Eterlogic one by direct email
If you are worried about bandwidth I could recommend you a cheap host with an extreme amount of bandwidth and webspace.

I am trying to avoid boring everyone to death while trying to resolve his issue.

Once the problem is resolved I will post the cause and resolution here as I always do

Hosting is not an issue
73 Terry G4POP