Some words about Log4OM awards

Moderator: OE6CLD

IW3HMH
Site Admin

Some words about Log4OM awards

Post by IW3HMH »

1) Retrieving award information is sometimes a long and difficult operation, because each award is managed by individuals without any thought that other software developers and users might need to use the information.

2) Some award data is updated daily or every 3-4 days, and we're not informed of the changes. Therefore we cannot obtain the data and update the reference list daily for 70+ awards, this would require an army of award managers!

3) Approximately one out of every ten awards (probably less) has a downloadable reference file. Mostly the information has to be requested from the management team of that award, if you can find out who they are :-(

4) Very few awards have DXCC codes included in their list (WFF uses prefixes instead of DXCC numbers, SOTA is also without a cross reference to DXCC ). Our award manager has always to MANUALLY add the DXCC codes to all references (in WFF there are more than 30.000 items... sometimes new references are in the middle of the file)

5) Log4OM is driven by the user community and users have exactly the same tools in Lo4OM as our manager Claus, the awards manager facility in 'Utilities'. We request that you, the user, help to keep the awards up-to-date with the latest information and also provide us with new awards, send us the updated or new award and we will take care of publishing them.

Thank you Claus for your hard work!
Thank to all users that sent us their awards!
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Re: Some words about Log4OM awards

Post by yt9tp »

Working with awards frequently leads to the same problem: award data is not updated and award item is missing.

As user, I can add that item so I can run my log but then my local award definition goes out of sync with official version. I also have to mark such records so, when once award info is updated I can check if everything is synced properly.

Maybe you could add some option that allows us, when we add new item in award definition, it is sent to award manager so it may be quickly updated everywhere else. That would help award manager as he will receive prompt updates, and help other as they will also promptly receive updated award info.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
OE6CLD
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by OE6CLD »

Hi Pedja,

Sorry for my late response but work is crazy at the moment. I think this is a great idea and would make my life much easier (and will provide award updates more regularly). Unfortunately some awards (like WFF) are updated more or less on a daily basis.

Claus
Claus, OE6CLD/DJ0DX/EI7JZ
VK5PL
Advanced Class

Post by VK5PL »

What format is required for updates we might send?
I have previously sent an update for the VKFF award (early August), and it has not changed yet. I do not know whether it was not the correct format or had info missing or even if it was received at all.
This award in Log4OM only lists about 1769 references and there are now over 2240 actual references.
DO you need the whole WWFF or only the VKFF part or only the new additions to the VKFF part?
I appreciate you guys are busy, so would like to help as much as possible by sending in the correct format.
David
VK5PL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

VK5PL wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 09:12 What format is required for updates we might send?
I have previously sent an update for the VKFF award (early August), and it has not changed yet. I do not know whether it was not the correct format or had info missing or even if it was received at all.
This award in Log4OM only lists about 1769 references and there are now over 2240 actual references.
DO you need the whole WWFF or only the VKFF part or only the new additions to the VKFF part?
I appreciate you guys are busy, so would like to help as much as possible by sending in the correct format.
Just use File/Export award list in either text or XML in the Log4OM Awards Manager and send the resulting file to our awards manager
73 Terry G4POP
VK5PL
Advanced Class

Post by VK5PL »

OK thanks, It took a few tries but finally managed to merge the new ones in.
Will send to Claus.
David
VK5PL