WCA - World Castle Award

Moderator: OE6CLD

yt9tp
Old Man

Re: WCA - World Castle Award

Post by yt9tp »

Not just thre castles UA has lots of castles and I noticed they have some strange use for prefixes. It seems to me they do not actually use prefixes but unique call signs with one letter in suffix for some castles.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

After update to 1.18 and new award manager, World Castle Awards is removed. I hoped in next release it would be back, but it is not.

When can we expect this award to be added?

Will I loose all award data I have logged so far?
OE6CLD
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by OE6CLD »

Hello Pedja,

No, you will not lose anything - the award information is stored with the QSO. I will check why the WCA award is not downloaded anymore.

If you still have the awards_WCA.xml file from a previous version, you can manually copy it into your <user>/AppData/Roaming/LogOM/awards folder (or your config/awards folder if you're using a portable version) and restart Log4OM.

Claus, EI7JZ/OE6CLD
Claus, OE6CLD/DJ0DX/EI7JZ
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Start Log4OM, go to the "Settings" Tab and if opens the dropdown go to "Awards Database" ans use "Clear Database" ..... All Awards will be deleted. After doing this use "Check for updates" ..... All awards are founf on the Server will be reloaded, also the WCA .... ;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

EI7JZ wrote: No, you will not lose anything - the award information is stored with the QSO. I will check why the WCA award is not downloaded anymore.
I guess so, unless something changes in item ID's so data I already entered became unusable.

I checked official Log4OM awards list, WCA is not there.
EI7JZ wrote: If you still have the awards_WCA.xml file from a previous version, you can manually copy it into your <user>/AppData/Roaming/LogOM/awards folder (or your config/awards folder if you're using a portable version) and restart Log4OM.
I do have that file at the same location it was before. But, that directory is cleared of all XML except custom one I made. Before update all XML files were there. Maybe they are moved elsewhere? They are not on path you specified nor in the path they should be (meaning where they were before). I use two computers, one with Windows XP other with Windows 7. After update, WCA award is missing in both places.

Following your hint I searched for Roaming folder and found just one: <user>\AppData\Roaming\. There were no folders Log4OM and Log4OM\awards so I created them and placed WCA XML there. Restarted Log4OM and nothing happened. WCA definition is still not available.

Then I created custom award in Log4OM, named it TESTAWARD, saved and then searched disk. Definition was located at <user>\Application Data\LogOM\awards\award_TESTAWARD.xml right where I already have award_WCA.xml which is not included in award definitions. It seems that I do use right folder but Log4OM for some reason skips mu award definition for WCA.

Moreover, Manual says: 'Awards defined by a user are "custom awards, custom awards will be saved with extension “_USR” 
in the award name, to avoid confusion.'

File for TESTAWARD I created is automatically named by Log4Om as award_TESTAWARD.xml, which is not as Manual says it should be.

So, I thught, maybe I should rename award_WCA.xml to award_WCA_USR.xml. did that, restared Log4OM, even run Award update check, and nothing. WCA definition is not loaded.

So, I am a bit confused.
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

DF5WW wrote:Start Log4OM, go to the "Settings" Tab and if opens the dropdown go to "Awards Database" ans use "Clear Database" ..... All Awards will be deleted. After doing this use "Check for updates" ..... All awards are founf on the Server will be reloaded, also the WCA .... ;) ;)
Tried that. Cleared data then I click Check for updates and nothing happens. I do not even get message that data is already up to date.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Manual says: 'Awards defined by a user are "custom awards, custom awards will be saved with extension “_USR” 
in the award name, to avoid confusion.'

File for TESTAWARD I created is automatically named by Log4Om as award_TESTAWARD.xml, which is not as Manual says it should be.

So, I thught, maybe I should rename award_WCA.xml to award_WCA_USR.xml. did that, restared Log4OM, even run Award update check, and nothing. WCA definition is not
System has changed and now awards are stored in the code, only user defined awards and awards modified by the user are saved to the awards folder so there is no requirement for the " user" tag

I will update the user guide to reflect the change
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Some time later, popup message jumped out of nowhere informing me that Award database is updated. So it seems it did update process in background (although there were no indication that would happen, very confusing).

I opened Award manager. WCA was not here. Even, more, TESTAWARD I just created is also missing. File is of course in the folder.

It seems to me it is some kind of a bug.
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

I thought maybe update checks if custom award xml exists and if it is there it does not download that award data from server.

So, I deleted xml file and restarted all database update process. Again, all awards are downloaded but not WCA. Wrong guess.

I hope my notes would help recreating problem and checking it out.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

xml are no more used. Data are stored in a dedicated sqlite database. Awards update is made on background (you can see traces on the software log)
xml are used ONLY for downloading updates from website and for "backup" purposes and award management.
"clear award" should not delete user defined awards. I'll check and fix that.

In the next release we will also allow you to LOAD into database an externally created XML

lele IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH