Auto Increase

NR3E
Advanced Class

Auto Increase

Post by NR3E »

I have checked the new manual and looked everywhere in the screens but can't find the Auto Increase function that was present in Version 1. As ninety five percent of my ham activity is SOTA, I would use that feature to input my field log from an activation. I set the Auto Increase to one minute and started entering records and had them entered in short order. Is that feature included in Version 2?

Thanks,
Ron, KI4TN
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Auto Increase

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Ron, we don't have yet moved this function to V2. It's on the list, but unfortunately we didn't added it yet, prioritizing other implementations.

It's on the list and will be added soon. I miss that too :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NR3E
Advanced Class

Post by NR3E »

Thanks for the response. Patiently waiting.

Ron
DG9MA
Novice Class

Post by DG9MA »

Hello!

I would like to ask if there is already progress on this nice capability? I am miss that too.. looking forward to have auto increase in Log4OM v2 :)

Manuel
Attachments
auto increase.JPG
auto increase.JPG (16.31 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I assume you need this for manual historic log entries, why not use Lazy Log which does have this feature? See our user guide
73 Terry G4POP
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Post by HB9BRJ »

Terry is right. Use Lazy Log to enter paper logs of SOTA activations or other field activities! I admit I still have the manual page with all the commands open as "cheat sheet" while using Lazy Log, but it is way more efficient than doing mass entries via the regular GUI. Give it a try!

Important: Before entering any QSO data, make sure that fields like MY CALL, MYGRID, MYREF are defined as appropriate. They will be applied to all QSOs entered subsequently.

73, Markus HB9BRJ
DG9MA
Novice Class

Post by DG9MA »

Thanks for reply. I just tried the lazy log. Clearly a nice feature. But i am working over Satellites an need to enter many "special" data like Propagation Mode, Sat Name, Sat Mode, RX/TX Freq, etc... So in that case, i prefer the standard log.
The time for Sat QSO's is limited, therefore i do the lazy log first on paper and log properly in Log4om2 my QSO's afterwards. Due to this fact, i need to manually enter/change the QSO start time and as for the end time, i am adding 1 minute which is the average time for a Sat-QSO. That's the reason why i am asking for the auto increase function ;)

73 Manuel
NR3E
Advanced Class

Post by NR3E »

Manuel,

Since I started this thread, I feel it appropriate to comment. Some time after my first post, I found out about Lazy Log, use it frequently, really like it, and have found no need for the auto increase function on the main Log4OM screen. My main interest is SOTA and I will make 30 to 45 contacts in an activation and can use Lazy Log to enter my records in usually less than ten minutes. If you don't mind, I have a couple of suggestions and I apologize if you have already thought of this.

My first suggestion is to use Lazy Log to do the bulk of the entry and use the QSO Manager to clean it up. I believe this method is better if you have quite a few entries and will be much quicker than anything else. I would let Lazy Log do everything it is capable of doing, one of which is your concern of split tx/rx frequencies, which Lazy log can do. Then set up your auto increase increment and start putting in the callsigns and signal reports. When everything is entered, save it, and Lazy Log will roll the entries over into your database. Then use the QSO Manager to do the things Lazy Log can't, such as Propagation Mode, Sat Name, and Sat Mode. It is easy in QSO Manager to highlight your records and change a single field.

My second thought, and this is probably more appropriate if you only have a few entries, is to not forget about the little lock icon next to the start and end times on the Log4OM main screen. You can lock the times, change them manually, then enter your records. If you only had maybe less than half a dozen records to put in, this might be easier than using Lazy Log, but you would still have to use QSO Manager to set the Propagation Mode, Sat Name, and Sat Mode for each record after you put them in as I don't see those fields in the normal input screens.

Since I don't do satellites, some of my comments may be off base, but I would think that some of the things that apply to entering paper SOTA logs would also apply to your entry of paper satellite contacts. So feel free to accept or reject any of my suggestions but I hope you give Lazy Log a serious try.

73 from Ron, KI4TN
DG9MA
Novice Class

Post by DG9MA »

Hi Ron,

thanks for your comments and suggestions!
Usually I have only a couple of entries from a 15 minutes Satellite pass, so i am using now the lock icons next to the start and end times and add 1 minute manually to get my end time. That's the easiest and fastest way for me and i don't need to edit the QSO entry twice :-)
Thanks again!

73 Manuel, DG9MA
NR3E
Advanced Class

Post by NR3E »

Hi again, Manuel,

I am glad you found a solution to your problem. I have a habit (although I am better than I was in the past) of wanting to do everything like I have done it before because "we have always done it that way." This isn't limited to Log4OM, but includes cell phones, computers, and anything technical. But if I open my mind a bit and learn the new ways, I have found that sometimes I actually learn a better way to do things. I resisted Log4OM Version 2 for a long time as I was used to the way things worked in Version 1. But finally, I found that Version 2 was an actual improvement and most logging procedures work much better than before.

So, good luck with your satellite contacts from a simple Log4OM user and SOTA activator!

Thanks,
Ron