TenTec Orion 2

wb2bin
Advanced Class

TenTec Orion 2

Post by wb2bin »

Is there anyone using a TENTEC Orion 2. I can not get VFO B to work.

Thanks,

Greg, WB2BIN
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: TenTec Orion 2

Post by G4POP »

I don't think the TT Orion code supports computer display of both Vfo's
73 Terry G4POP
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

I thank you for info. It has worked on my DXBase for years and I am switching to this logging program.

Greg
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

wb2bin wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 23:00 I thank you for info. It has worked on my DXBase for years and I am switching to this logging program.

Greg
Showing both VFO's?
73 Terry G4POP
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

I do not control the radio from DXBase but every contact I work split it reads VFO B and logs it in the comment field. When I use Omni Rig for LOG4OM it reads the correct frequency for VFO B for about 3 seconds.I guess it is something I will have to live with if I use this program and DXBase is no longer is supported.

Greg
WB2BIN
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

Can you provide some more information about how you have set up Log4OM V2 to connect to your TenTec Orion?

I would suggest that you use OmniRig. There is a rig selection for the TenTec Orion.

If you open the OmniRig Settings can you capture a screen clip of that and also screen clips of your CAT settings in the Log4OM Configuration section?

What type of port and cable are you using between your TenTec and your computer for the 'wired' link between those two devices?

You might be close, but just have to close the loop to get a good flow of data and we just have to peel the onion one layer at a time.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

Below is a copy of the e-mail message your sent me regarding your setup with the TenTec Orion. I've put the data here on the Forum for other OMs to see and review for their installations that may be similar and/or offer any assistance.

My first thought would be to look at your Windows O/S and see if you have any settings that allow your USB ports to 'sleep' or 'hibernate'. That may occasionally cause some problems. As for the RTS/DTR settings and timings for your TenTec rigs you might could tweak them a bit as well.

I have also attached the images he sent to me via e-mail as well.

E-mail message from Greg - wb2bin
Attached are some screen shots of how the Orion 2 is connected. It is
working today with the settings as attached. One is showing the program
with both VFOs reading correctly. Second is showing OmniRig info and last
is show the cat interface. I don't know why it only works sometimes when
it works with DXBase with the same cable. I am looking for any help.

Thanks,

Greg
WB2BIN
Attachments
Screenshot (4).jpg
Screenshot (4).jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Screenshot (3).jpg
Screenshot (3).jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Screenshot (2).jpg
Screenshot (2).jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 3441 times
Plano, TX
wb2bin
Advanced Class

Post by wb2bin »

I just finished trying HRD and DX Lab for controlling my TT Orion 2 and both function outstanding in all respects from changing bands, modes ect but I must be doing something wrong with LogOM2. I can get it to read the frequency if I turn the orion on first. it will not work if LogOM2 is started first. I really want to use this program. Surely someone is using and Orion.

Thanks,

Greg, WB2BIN
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

I have forgotten to ask (in our message exchanges) what version of OmniRig are you using?

I've included a link below to the DX Atlas page where you can then select the download page for the most current version of OmniRig. You need to also download the 'ini' file for all the rigs as well.

DXAtlas - OmniRig: http://dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

The most current version of OmniRig is: 1.19 and the newest INI file for rigs is dated: April 01, 2020

Give a fresh installation of OmniRig (most current version) a try and see if there is some positive motion.
Plano, TX