CAT Issues

GW4XCA
Novice Class

Re: CAT Issues

Post by GW4XCA »

KI5IO wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 16:53 Have you taken the time to maybe download the most current rig list from OmniRig? Do that and unzip the file and place it where it should be located on your HDD and then restart OmniRig and take a look-see.
I think you may have misunderstood, I clearly said it was Hamlib I was trying to find my radio in, not OmniRig, unless you are saying that downloading an OmniRig file will update Hamlib, is that what you meant?
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

GW4XCA wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 18:50
KI5IO wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 16:53 Have you taken the time to maybe download the most current rig list from OmniRig? Do that and unzip the file and place it where it should be located on your HDD and then restart OmniRig and take a look-see.
I think you may have misunderstood, I clearly said it was Hamlib I was trying to find my radio in, not OmniRig, unless you are saying that downloading an OmniRig file will update Hamlib, is that what you meant?
Bob,

And my reply clearly discussed OmniRig ... NOT HamLib.

HamLib and OmniRig are two completely different APPs. I honestly do not know how HamLib updates their rig files.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Nolan,

GW4XCA said that he could not find his rig in Hamlib. May I respectfully suggest that if somebody asks for help using Hamlib the answer is not to try to convert them to Omnirig.

I, like GW4XCA, have used Hamlib with no problems. We just want the rigs list in Log4OM to show an up-to-date list. Evidence that such a list exists is on page 165 of the Log4OM manual. The last piccky on that page shows it.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 12:57 Nolan,

GW4XCA said that he could not find his rig in Hamlib. May I respectfully suggest that if somebody asks for help using Hamlib the answer is not to try to convert them to Omnirig.

I, like GW4XCA, have used Hamlib with no problems. We just want the rigs list in Log4OM to show an up-to-date list. Evidence that such a list exists is on page 165 of the Log4OM manual. The last piccky on that page shows it.
Guy,

I fully read and understand what GW4XCA wrote. He also mentioned that he could not get OmniRig to play (without details) so I was offering that making sure the correct OmniRig "rig" file was currently installed.

That is all.

If you and GW4XCA are using HamLib with no issues then I'm not sure why you keep pushing that you have problems with OmniRig? As I've asked you on other threads ... pls follow the posting instructions by Doug Munday in the FAQ about seeking support and we will do all we can to try and resolve your OmniRig issues.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

KI5IO wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 17:35
If you and GW4XCA are using HamLib with no issues then I'm not sure why you keep pushing that you have problems with OmniRig? As I've asked you on other threads ... pls follow the posting instructions by Doug Munday in the FAQ about seeking support and we will do all we can to try and resolve your OmniRig issues.
The thing is that we 'have' used hamlib in the past, not 'are' using it now. We are mentioning the issues with Omnirig as our reasons for wanting to use hamlib. The list presented in Log4OM is quite old in that it does not have an 'Icon IC-7300 [stable]' item. As per Terry's suggestion, I have emailed Michael Black W9MDB on this issue. I appreciate your quick responses in this thread and may have to fallback on to Omnirig, but wanting to try what has worked in the past cannot be resisted, hi hi.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 12:39
KI5IO wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 17:35
The thing is that we 'have' used hamlib in the past, not 'are' using it now. We are mentioning the issues with Omnirig as our reasons for wanting to use hamlib. The list presented in Log4OM is quite old in that it does not have an 'Icon IC-7300 [stable]' item. As per Terry's suggestion, I have emailed Michael Black W9MDB on this issue. I appreciate your quick responses in this thread and may have to fallback on to Omnirig, but wanting to try what has worked in the past cannot be resisted, hi hi.
As an aside and not trying in any way to influence your choice, but I cannot see any advantage with Hamlib only disadvantages as below, perhaps you can educate me and explain why Hamlib is so much better?

1. Hamlib only displays one radio VFO
2. Hamlib cannot switch between two different radios
3. Hamlib cannot multi thread enabling multiple programs to synchronise band, freq and mode

Omnirig does all of the above and includes virtually every modern radio setup!
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

G4POP wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 12:53 As an aside and not trying in any way to influence your choice, but I cannot see any advantage with Hamlib only disadvantages as below, perhaps you can educate me and explain why Hamlib is so much better?

3. Hamlib cannot multi thread enabling multiple programs to synchronise band, freq and mode

Hi Terry,

I have had some strange issues getting this PC setup for amateur radio after a QRT period for 15 months. I have had to contend with relearning everything as well as coping with major changes in my software. I was hoping to stay with Log4OM v1 whilst getting used to everything, but with v1 being possibly unsupported and possibly having a few related issues, I decided to start using v2. That is the reason for a flurry of v2 questions from me. The only immediate issue remaining is that after manual QSL uploads (LOTW and eQSL_, the 'sent' flag does not change - a separate thread has been started for this.

At this point I have deduced, rightly or wrongly, that Omnirig was at fault. A couple of the issues were Omnirig not auto-starting with Log4OM 2 (due to being left to run in admin mode from running under v1) and my rig changing from USB-D to RTTY-R mode when starting to transmit on FT8 mode.

In the past I have not had any issues with Hamlib and having it working in Log4OM 2 would be an important part of the fault-finding process. Whilst setting things up from scratch, I wanted to get things working ASAP so that I could a) obs get on the air quickly and b) get used to how things should work so that I would be in a position to tell if something was broken after making any changed.

All that being said, I could very well switch back to Omnirig. Also, I think the issue with Hamlib in Log4OM needs addressing, viz that the FLDigi iteration of Hamlib has an Icon IC-7300 [stable] listing (see bottom picture page 165 of the manual) and the Log4OM 2 version does not even list the 7300 at all. I have already emailed Michael Black about this issue.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 13:27
G4POP wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 12:53 As an aside and not trying in any way to influence your choice, but I cannot see any advantage with Hamlib only disadvantages as below, perhaps you can educate me and explain why Hamlib is so much better?

The only immediate issue remaining is that after manual QSL uploads (LOTW and eQSL_, the 'sent' flag does not change - a separate thread has been started for this.

You dont say which version you are using but if you follow the instructions for sending a support request re trace mode and then re-enacting the upload before creating the support request I will check what your issue is - As always EMAIL IT TO ME DONT POST TO THE FORUIM my email is g4pop (AT) arrl.net

A couple of the issues were Omnirig not auto-starting with Log4OM 2 (due to being left to run in admin mode from running under v1)

As you are using multiple connections to Omnirig (Or should be!) you must run Log4OM and Omnirig plus WSJT as an administrator in accordance with our user guide, but that of course is incidental if your determined to use Hamlib

and my rig changing from USB-D to RTTY-R mode when starting to transmit on FT8 mode.

This is due to having either or both WSJT and Log4OM set up incorrectly, I have an IC7300 which works just fine

In the past I have not had any issues with Hamlib and having it working in Log4OM 2 would be an important part of the fault-finding process.
All that being said, I could very well switch back to Omnirig. Also, I think the issue with Hamlib in Log4OM needs addressing, viz that the FLDigi iteration of Hamlib has an Icon IC-7300 [stable] listing (see bottom picture page 165 of the manual) and the Log4OM 2 version does not even list the 7300 at all. I have already emailed Michael Black about this issue.

I think when you hear from Mike Black you will find that one of his hacks to Hamlib will fix this for you
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

Hi Terry,

I am not hell-bent on using Hamlib. I just want to use it to see if it performs better for me.

I have heard from Michael Black. He said "Log4OM has never updated their hamlib". He also says that he will be releasing an RC for v4 and "maybe they will update eventually".

Regarding the QSL issue, the uploads worded fine now! Bloody computers, hi hi.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Really! :D :D :D :D :D
73 Terry G4POP