Hamlib version used in Log4OM

G4DWV
Old Man

Re: Hamlib version used in Log4OM

Post by G4DWV »

G4POP wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 06:11 I suggest that you contact Michael Black W9MDB who is the current Hamlib open source developer for update advice, there are many Google posts asking the same question
I did write to Michael Black and he said,"Log4OM has never updated their hamlib.
I'll be doing a release candidate soon for hamlib 4.0 and maybe they'll update eventually".

That explains why I see an old list of rigs!
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

I emailed Mike today about HamLib.

He said "we haven't done an "official" release of hamlib for 4.0 yet. It's on the horizon." So Log4OM is in fact using the latest official HamLib release available.

Its my understanding that Log4OM only includes the official releases in the software.

Nothing is stopping you from running HamLib 4 on your own.

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Correct! we only use official releases especially when it is an open source package, however users are welcome to experiment with unofficial releases at their own risk
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

G4POP wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 06:38 Correct! we only use official releases especially when it is a shareware package, however users are welcome to experiment with unofficial releases at their own risk
If only I knew that from the beginning! It would have been nice to have been told.

What is a shareware package? Isn't Hamlib open source? The Log4OM version is so old, there should be a note in the manual to that effect.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Its the most current release version available

Normally software companies to not put notes in the manual recommending users to try version that are not in final release.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4DWV - Guy wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 15:05
G4POP wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 06:38 Correct! we only use official releases especially when it is a shareware package, however users are welcome to experiment with unofficial releases at their own risk
If only I knew that from the beginning! It would have been nice to have been told.

What is a shareware package? Isn't Hamlib open source? The Log4OM version is so old, there should be a note in the manual to that effect.
My mistake I meant Open source of course
73 Terry G4POP