Ctrl+PTT puts TX in transmit, but no 400Hz modulation

ON3BSQ
Novice Class

Ctrl+PTT puts TX in transmit, but no 400Hz modulation

Post by ON3BSQ »

Log4OM NG 2.7.0 & OmniRig 1.19; rig Yaesu FT897D.
Ctrl+PTT activates transmission, but without the expected 400Hz modulation. When I change the Mode from FM to DIG or PKT then the 400Hz tone is sent out. In Volume² volummixer I can see Log4OM2 generates audio and passes this on to the correct TX soundcard, but when Mode = FM it is not sent out.
This may be the same problem as stated by other users whit the Voice Keyer. I tested Voice Keyer myself and I had to change the mode also to DIG or PKT to make it work.
I use also another program: VoiceKeyer 5.4 from K9DUR. This voice keyer works w/o problems in mode FM (or SSB). No need to change the mode.
I wonder what could be the difference betwee the two voice keyer programs ?

Rgds, Francis - ON3BSQ
OA9DVK
Novice Class

Re: Ctrl+PTT puts TX in transmit, but no 400Hz modulation

Post by OA9DVK »

I have to add myself to those who cannot use the voicekeyer properly. I have the very same problems of Francis. The radio is a Yaesu 891. The program sends the string to the radio through the digital gear (SCU-17 in my case). The issue has to deal with the way it handles it. Only if the radio is on digital mode you can get the voice string to be txed. If you turn the radio on SSB of course the signal will not go through the jack of the interface unit but through the mike. Thus, the string will not be played even if the radio is on tx mode.

Any idea how to fix it?
73 91 de Daniel

OA9DVK (also IK2SGL)

From somewhere in the Amazon Rainforest

Permanent activity from the Communal Reserve of Chayu Nain, ref. OAFF-0040
Latitude - 5.023231 ( 5 1' 23'' S)
Longitude -78.340072 (78 20' 24'' W)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ON3BSQ wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 19:12 Log4OM NG 2.7.0 & OmniRig 1.19; rig Yaesu FT897D.
Ctrl+PTT activates transmission, but without the expected 400Hz modulation. When I change the Mode from FM to DIG or PKT then the 400Hz tone is sent out. In Volume² volummixer I can see Log4OM2 generates audio and passes this on to the correct TX soundcard, but when Mode = FM it is not sent out.
This may be the same problem as stated by other users whit the Voice Keyer. I tested Voice Keyer myself and I had to change the mode also to DIG or PKT to make it work.
I use also another program: VoiceKeyer 5.4 from K9DUR. This voice keyer works w/o problems in mode FM (or SSB). No need to change the mode.
I wonder what could be the difference betwee the two voice keyer programs ?

Rgds, Francis - ON3BSQ
I suspect that you have not set up the sound devices correctly in the Audio devices and voice keyer

I just tested with my Flexradio and all is working fine including the voice keyer but I am using the latest release of log4om not one that is probably a year out of date.
73 Terry G4POP
OA9DVK
Novice Class

Post by OA9DVK »

Hi Terry, as for me, I use the latest version. I suspect the Flex has a different way of channeling the audio. It would be interesting to hear someone with a Yaesu radio. The gap, I guess, is between the digital interface and the analogic radio. The 891 behaves this way: when ssb is selected the input goes to the mike. It is true you can change it into the menu and choose the digital interface, but then the mike will be automatically disabled.
I see no way to use them both the back and front input (data port and mike). Said that, I am wondering how the N1MM handles that as it allows to send wav messages without problems. The same for the QARTEST software.
I am puzzled.

Any help is greatly apreciated.
73 91 de Daniel

OA9DVK (also IK2SGL)

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OA9DVK wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:33 Hi Terry, as for me, I use the latest version. I suspect the Flex has a different way of channeling the audio. It would be interesting to hear someone with a Yaesu radio. The gap, I guess, is between the digital interface and the analogic radio. The 891 behaves this way: when ssb is selected the input goes to the mike. It is true you can change it into the menu and choose the digital interface, but then the mike will be automatically disabled.
For your information I also have an Icom IC7100 and an Elecraft and they also work OK same as the flexradio, the only difference with the Flex is it uses a VAC whereas the other two use normal sound device audio codec's!
73 Terry G4POP
OA9DVK
Novice Class

Post by OA9DVK »

Hi Terry, thank you for the reply and I apologize if you get offended. I did not mean to.
It would be nice to hear somebody with a recent Yaesu radio.
I tried any possible combination of settings on the program and radio menu as well without result.
73 91 de Daniel

OA9DVK (also IK2SGL)

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OA9DVK wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 17:51 Hi Terry, thank you for the reply and I apologize if you get offended. I did not mean to.
It would be nice to hear somebody with a recent Yaesu radio.
I tried any possible combination of settings on the program and radio menu as well without result.
No no problem Daniele just noting that if it works with my three different radios it should work with your Yaesu.

If your using an accessory socket for the connection then I guess the interface will have the sound codecs. From past experience with Yaesu radios when using the acc socket you need to be in the Yaesu data or user mode for the socket to accept audio data.

There was also a possibility of using the mic socket with a splitter adaptor if I recal which needed a menu change in the radio

There may be other Yaesu menu settings to be selected for audio input via either the mic or ACC sockets but that I cant help you with as I have not owned an 897 for over 30 years
73 Terry G4POP
ON3BSQ
Novice Class

Post by ON3BSQ »

I did some additional tests and I believe I have an explanation. This issue may be typical for Yeasu transceivers. I use an FT-897D connected to the PC using the USB interface unit SCU-17, but other Yeasu tranceivers may behave the same way.
The PC sees the transceiver as two sound cards and two COM ports, one Standard com port for PTT and one Enhanced COM port for the CAT interface. You can trigger PTT either via the Standard COM port or via the CAT interface.
I tested four programs that use this connection: Black Cat SSTV, FreeDV, Log4OM and Voice Keyer (from WD6CNF).
Log4OM (OMNIRIG) triggers PTT over the CAT interface, the other programs use the Standard COM port.
When PTT is triggered over the Standard COM port then the audio from the rear connection is always used, thus also on USB & FM. When the PTT goes over the CAT interface then the audio selection depends on the TX mode: DIG and PKT use the rear connected audio (from the PC), the other modes (including USB & FM) use the front connected audio (my desktop microphone).
This may explain the different behaviour between Yeasu trasceivers and others.
Rgds, Francis