QSO Editor with block selection for MyState

K2GAV
Advanced Class

QSO Editor with block selection for MyState

Post by K2GAV »

Using QSO editor and Single Field Edit to change MyState after selecting a block of QSOs with the mouse resulted in the clearing of the previous State and leaving it blank. I typed in the Single Field edit value for North Carolina, but there is likely the need for a state pulldown selector instead. I also edited MyStreet, MyCounty, MyCity, MyPostalCode, and GridSquare using this method and all those fields edited correctly. It's just MyState that has this problem.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV
Kenwood TS-990, Elecraft KPA-1500
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSO Editor with block selection for MyState

Post by G4POP »

Ted
I just tested this on some of your QSO's that were in my test file and it worked 100% OK

Are you sure that you had not checked the box 'Clear field'

The selection before editing

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (219.62 KiB) Viewed 2539 times

After the edit

After.jpg
After.jpg (207.48 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
73 Terry G4POP
K2GAV
Advanced Class

Post by K2GAV »

Okay, here's an amended description of the bug...

If I do a block edit of MyState and type in (no pulldown menu) North Carolina, the result is a blank MyState field in that block edit. However (having noticed you're showing the official USPS two letter abbreviation for North Carolina - NC) I then block edited and entered NC for the MyState and the result is what I wanted, and with the full name, North Carolina shown!

Just to be sure it wasn't working because the MyState field was left empty from my first effort, I edited a block to change it to Connecticut (I had to use CT to make it work). Next, I edited that block to change them from Connecticut to North Carolina using NC and it changed them properly on the first try, displaying North Carolina (as desired) and NOT the NC that I had entered in the single field edit window.

I got the result I wanted eventually, but why won't it accept North Carolina as the new data and leaves it blank, but will accept NC and then actually enters "North Carolina"? Strange but there's a work around.

It isn't intuitive that to edit the MyState field you MUST use the two letter state abbreviation in order for the edit to work, and is isn't intuitive that the full state name will result. That's the bug.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Because the ADIF specification is two letter state identifiers.
73 Terry G4POP
K2GAV
Advanced Class

Post by K2GAV »

I'd suggest that if Log4OM is going to use full state names within the program, in this case providing pulldown menus with full state names, that the program accept full state name when using QSO Manager in single field update mode. Full state names are also displayed when you open an edit of one particular QSO.

Don't get me wrong, I like full state names and the pulldown selection menu, it's just that the single field update should accommodate the use of full state names also rather than leave the field blank after an edit.

I'm doing a lot of editing using search filters and QSO Manager, so I'm finding these issues by digging into the program. I hope my observations are useful to the team.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Check out the Primary administrative sub divisions (State My or otherwise) we would have to list for selection, its not just US states you know!

https://adif.org/310/ADIF_310.htm#Prima ... ubdivision
73 Terry G4POP
K2GAV
Advanced Class

Post by K2GAV »

The program already nicely accommodates full US State names. I'm simply suggesting harmony within the program when searching.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV