Re: Just about to give up, yes its FLDigi :(

Post by G4POP »

Follow our user guide for wsjt set up USB-D works automatically and fine
73 Terry G4POP
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

OK to put this one to bed once and for all, I have set up my IC7300 as I suggested above and it all works 100%
OK Terry, I'll bite on this and maybe learn something.

In my experience using Log4OM ADIF log following with FLDigi using the instructions in the manual does not work 100%. Specifically:
  • The most recent Log4OM user manual suggests following C:\Users\YOUR USER
    NAME\fldigi.files\logs\Logbook.adi. While that file uses ADIF syntax, the data in it is FLDigi/FLLog specific and does not contain SUBMODE entries. If you log an entry in a mode like Olivia, the result will be a non-compliant mode in your Log4OM log.
  • FLDigi does create an ADIF 3.x compliant entry for each logged record, but it is in the ephemeral file c:\Users\<login>\fldigi.files\temp\log.adif. Following this file with Log4OM rather than the recommended one results in compliant entries.
If I'm missing something I'd like to be corrected. The bad log entries in Olivia were a source of frustration until I moved away from what's in the manual.

Dale
M7DJK
Advanced Class

Post by M7DJK »

G4POP wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:34 Follow our user guide for wsjt set up USB-D works automatically and fine
How about the infamous FLDigi?

Currently my one sets "PKTUSB" and the rig goes to "USB_D"

All just enquiry at present, i have high hopes it will all work as you said in the new pdf guide.
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

If you are using the FLDigi interface you can change what mode FLDigi requests fldigi.files\frequencies2.txt. Default is USB but different rigs might have better modes (for flex PKTUSB is preferred). The FLDigi rig control popup will show you the options it understands.

Dale
M7DJK
Advanced Class

Post by M7DJK »

AE6DS wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:58 If you are using the FLDigi interface you can change what mode FLDigi requests fldigi.files\frequencies2.txt. Default is USB but different rigs might have better modes (for flex PKTUSB is preferred). The FLDigi rig control popup will show you the options it understands.
Yes, the only one that works correctly with the Icom is "PktUSB" which selects "USB-D" on the radio. But LOG4OM does not use "USB-D" AFIK as its not an ADIF mode, i was just wondering what it shows when FLDigi selects it ;)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

M7DJK wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 05:23
AE6DS wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:58 If you are using the FLDigi interface you can change what mode FLDigi requests fldigi.files\frequencies2.txt. Default is USB but different rigs might have better modes (for flex PKTUSB is preferred). The FLDigi rig control popup will show you the options it understands.
Yes, the only one that works correctly with the Icom is "PktUSB" which selects "USB-D" on the radio. But LOG4OM does not use "USB-D" AFIK as its not an ADIF mode, i was just wondering what it shows when FLDigi selects it ;)
You should ask that question in the FLDigi forum because its not a Log4OM problem.

FLDigi dictates the control of your radio in this scenario not Log4OM

FLDigi records the digital mode used like PSK31, RTTY, CW etc in the ADIF file and that is the information logged by Log4OM

You are correct USB-D is not an ADIF mode no more than the Yaesu 'USER' mode and is not recorded in a QSO by any logging software.
73 Terry G4POP
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

Ah. Log4OM should pick up MODE and SUBMODE from the FLDigi ADIF file not the rig. Or at least that’s what happens with my configuration (but note my previous post about different FLDigi files and ADIF compliance).

Eg, for an Olivia QSO Log4OM correctly shows “<MODE:6>OLIVIA <SUBMODE:12>OLIVIA 8/250” not PKTUSB even though the latter was the rig setting.

Dale
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

AE6DS wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:35
OK to put this one to bed once and for all, I have set up my IC7300 as I suggested above and it all works 100%
OK Terry,
In my experience using Log4OM ADIF log following with FLDigi using the instructions in the manual does not work 100%. Specifically:
  • The most recent Log4OM user manual suggests following C:\Users\YOUR USER
    NAME\fldigi.files\logs\Logbook.adi. While that file uses ADIF syntax, the data in it is FLDigi/FLLog specific and does not contain SUBMODE entries. If you log an entry in a mode like Olivia, the result will be a non-compliant mode in your Log4OM log.
  • FLDigi does create an ADIF 3.x compliant entry for each logged record, but it is in the ephemeral file c:\Users\<login>\fldigi.files\temp\log.adif. Following this file with Log4OM rather than the recommended one results in compliant entries.
Thank you for this information I have amended the user guide accordingly although we have not had a problem with other modes
73 Terry G4POP
M7DJK
Advanced Class

Post by M7DJK »

OK, thanks guys, there seems to be some confusion about logging data and rig/CAT control.

I am only referring to the issues i had earlier in the thread about rig control, not logged data.

I will drop the subject now as hopefully things will be sorted fine when my cat cable arrives.
Thanks for the help so far though.
M7DJK
Advanced Class

Post by M7DJK »

AE6DS wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 23:32
  • For FLDigi logging, I have the ADIF Function of Log4OM follow C:\Users\YOU\fldigi.files\temp\log.adif which is a temporary file that is ADIF compliant. The fldigi logbook.adi file is not.
I had a look at this, i can see the file in TEMP but it seems its not updated as much as the live log file, not idea why but mine is a few weeks behind, if it gets updated at, will keep an eye on it.

For now though it seems the only "live" log is the one selected in FLDigi Log menu.