Cluster Display vs. Cluster Data Feeds

N8EI
New user

Cluster Display vs. Cluster Data Feeds

Post by N8EI »

I looked for this information and couldn't find it - sorry if this is already covered somewhere.

I was looking at doing some customization to my custer config - add a few sites, filter down a few things, etc. In looking at the cluster output both in Log4OM and just telnetting to them, I noticed that the information returned by the cluster host has far more hits than appears in the cluster table on the main logger screen. I do not have any complex filtering configured in Log4OM and reset them all. However I see much more spot data in the raw feed than appears in the table. Is there some other configuration I'm missing or does Log4OM rate limit things or what else is causing this?

Thanks.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster Display vs. Cluster Data Feeds

Post by G4POP »

Examples?
73 Terry G4POP
N8EI
New user

Post by N8EI »

I've been trying a couple of different ones.... The two that it was very obvious on was ve7cc.net and dxc.nc7j.com. NC7J is a CW skimmer and prints out dozens of CW hits a minute. ve7cc.net spits out a a few SSBs every 15 seconds or so. When I'm watching the "raw" output in Cluster Management I can see it all but in the Cluster view on the main page on the standalone cluster window, it shows almost nothing. Then all of a sudden it will spit out about a dozen spots randomly with a wide variety of timestamps.

I reset everything when I was writing this. I immediately got three CW spots in the cluster viewer for 1209Z and then nothing for about 5 minutes and suddenly about 25 showed up at 1215Z with timestamps from 0929Z to 1210Z? Log4OM wasn't even running at 0929Z.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The cluster spot times have zero to do with what time your PC was turned on they are the time that someone spotted the DX call, so seeing a very early spot time happens regardless of you having your computer turned on!

You will not see every spot if you selected 'Show cluster grouped' in the Program config as shown below.

Grouped - Call signs that have been spotted many times are grouped into one spot indicating the last time it was spotted, so G4POP gets spotted by 100 spotters over a period of several hours if grouped G4POP appears as one entry only. However you can view all previous spot comments by right clicking on the entry.

Un-Grouped - Every time someone spots the same call they are displayed separately in the cluster list - Messy! So in the example above G4POP would appear 100 times in the cluster list.

The raw cluster data received from the servers is not arranged as described above so you see everything there.

You may want to change the cluster spot age and number of spots displayed and that can be done in the Program Config, again as shown below.

In the example below the cluster is set to display spots up to 6 hours (360 mins) old and display a maximum of 1000 spots, probably too much for most opps?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (185.53 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
73 Terry G4POP