CI-V to USB Cable for the IC-7300 fldigi solution

kd7mw
Advanced Class

CI-V to USB Cable for the IC-7300 fldigi solution

Post by kd7mw »

I'm looking for a CI-V to USB cable (sold in the USA) for the "Icom IC7300 CAT control for multiple data programs" solution. Any recommendations?

I found a $26 cable on Amazon made by Valley Enterprises, which claims to have a genuine FTDI chip. Is this suitable? I recall that counterfeit FTDI chips have been a problem. I have the same company's cable for a Yaesu 2 meter radio.It was genuine FTDI and works fine.

I've maintained two configurations for fldigi/flrig and WSJT/JTAlert in Log4OM v.1, only to find that the fldigi setup no longer worked in v.2 It will be *so* nice to have one setup again. A big thank-you to Terry and the folks who figured out the solution.

--Peter, KD7MW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CI-V to USB Cable for the IC-7300 fldigi solution

Post by G4POP »

Providing its an FTDI chip you should not have a problem, you could try the ZLP Electronics one which we know to work and Neil ships to the US

Setup for the 7300 for two data connections is covered in our user guide
73 Terry G4POP
kd7mw
Advanced Class

Post by kd7mw »

Thanks, Terry. I’ve ordered the Valley Enterprises cable from Amazon, ETA next week. If it doesn’t work, I can easily return it, and order from the UK vendor you mentioned.
AD8FD
Novice Class

Post by AD8FD »

I have been using this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JRWYRP

It uses the FTDI chip & supported by KJ6ZWL and has been working good for me.
kd7mw
Advanced Class

Post by kd7mw »

Thanks! I received the Valley Enterprises cable a couple of days ago, and it is working fine. I've merged my Log4OM fldigi configuration with the my standard config, all's well. The cable has red and green LEDs that show activity, which is either useful or annoying, depending on your point of view. If the latter, a piece of black tape takes care of the annoyance.

The cable I got was 3 ft (~1m) long. That's OK because my monitor, which is next to my rig, has a USB hub built in. The cable that AD8FD mentions is 6 ft long, so that would be a better buy if your computer CPU is on a shelf under the table, etc.

--Peter, KD7MW
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Never a good idea to use a hub USB (Your monitor is that) for CAT control
73 Terry G4POP
G4DWV
Old Man

Post by G4DWV »

I just got a cable that uses the same chipset that is in the ic-7300. The drivers on the Silicon Labs (SL) site are much more up to date than the Icom drivers. The Icom drivers are unmodified SL drivers.
I bought it to replace the ZLP cable I preciously had, which had poor build quality - the USB plug was very loose in the housing.
You've never known happiness until you're married; but by then it is too late.
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

G4POP wrote: 23 Sep 2020, 06:39 Never a good idea to use a hub USB (Your monitor is that) for CAT control
Interesting. What is your reasoning for that?

Early in the 2.0 standard insuring that there was a multi-tt capable hub between rig and host usually made things better.

Dale