LoTW - "Override Station Location" when uploading

KZ3L
Advanced Class

LoTW - "Override Station Location" when uploading

Post by KZ3L »

Hello,

Recent versions of LoTW's TQSL utility have a preference setting that allows uploaded logs to override the station location selected in TQSL.

In theory, this feature would allow a user to avoid having to create a new Location in TQSL for each portable operation. One could just enter it all into Log4OM, select a generic Location profile in TQSL, and upload all QSOs accurately with minimal fuss.

1127067B-A492-44AA-8F12-95CB2761F7DB.jpeg
1127067B-A492-44AA-8F12-95CB2761F7DB.jpeg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 2093 times

Does Log4OM support this feature? If so, how do I configure it to work properly? I've tried and receive an upload error each time. The upload script reports a location mismatch.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: LoTW - "Override Station Location" when uploading

Post by G4POP »

No intervention from Log4OM is required its TQSL that is uploading the file, Log4OM just creates the ADIF, triggers the TQSL upload and reads the upload message received in return.

By checking the box outlined in your screen shot it will act as you suggest
73 Terry G4POP
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

Thanks, Terry. Sounds like the TQSL feature simply doesn't work then.

It complains that my grid squares don't match. :(

Has anyone else here been successful with this?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I dont beleive the description of the function indicates that it includes your grid square just the 'Station location' like G4POP - Home and 'QTH', like in Essex UK or NY State.

Ask LOTW for exact details of what is being ignored, my bet is that they forgot to include the grid square!
73 Terry G4POP
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

[Edited: Corrected option switches to something that worked... original post was in error.]

I apologize for revisiting this topic, but I still struggle with getting LOTW to “override station location QTH settings” when uploading my log with Log4OM2. I have this box checked in TQSL, as shown in my earlier post.
G4POP wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 23:16 No intervention from Log4OM is required its TQSL that is uploading the file, Log4OM just creates the ADIF, triggers the TQSL upload and reads the upload message received in return.

By checking the box outlined in your screen shot it will act as you suggest
I don't believe this is accurate. I think Log4OM executes TQSL via a command line call and with the addition of a configuration switch ("-f update") to the command line, Log4OM2 should be able to override all of the QTH fields. The override option checkbox in the TQSL GUI interface, from what I can tell, only affects logs uploaded through the GUI.

If I export the QSOs from Log4OM to an ADIF, and submit the ADIF log directly to LOTW with the TQSL GUI utility, it overrides all location fields of the log as advertised. LOTW doesn’t care if the grid square, county, or state in the ADIF match the selected location. It just works without hesitation. It appears the TQSL utility isn't broken--it functions properly.

However, when I attempt to upload the QSOs with Log4OM2, and the grid squares don’t match the selected LOTW location, I receive an error message (grid squares don't match) and LOTW rejects my upload.

I tried using the TQSL command line to manually upload my logs. It rejected them every time until I added the “-f update” switch to the command line parameters. By doing that, TQSL successfully overrode the location settings and replaced all fields with the log's location data.

The location override feature is extremely useful when operating in numerous portable settings, since one doesn't need to enter a new Location into TQSL for every temporary QTH.

Any chance of adding a switch in the Log4OM2 External Services/LOTW configuration panel to allow the user to enable QTH override? If that box is checked, Log4OM2 would simply add "-f update" to the TQSL.exe command line parameters and voila--problem fixed.

The command line would look something like this:

tqsl.exe -d -u -f update -a all -x -l "Portable (All)" d:\lotw.adi

The TQSL help dialogue (retrieved via "tqsl -h") is attached for reference.
Attachments
TQSL_Help.JPG
TQSL_Help.JPG (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
KZ3L
Advanced Class

Post by KZ3L »

From the Sourceforge documentation (https://sourceforge.net/projects/truste ... SL/v2.0.3/):

-f <str> Select handling option for QTH details

This option instructs tqsl on how to handle the MY_ fields in an
ADIF log file. These specify the callsign, QTH details such as zones,
gridsquare, state/county, etc. for a QSO. If the log includes this
detail, TQSL can read these fields and take action to use that
information to ensure that the Station Location is corrrect. By
default, TQSL will report any discrepancies between QTH and the
Station Location; TQSL can also be directed to ignore the QTH
information.

-f ignore Directs TQSL to ignore the QTH information
-f report Directs TQSL to report any differences between the
station location and the MY_ QTH deails