Rover /R Suffix

k2axx
Novice Class

Re: Rover /R Suffix

Post by k2axx »

Terry,

Thank you! I now better understand the issues I face here, and I can actually live with this solution. Unfortunately, since LoTW allows users to claim the /R suffix and register certs with such, it's a sticky one. In most cases, though, I'm OK with an alternate suffix or similar as the awards (i.e. VUCC, DXCC) are not what I'm really tracking with my older QSOs. And, since my log is built now from the ADI output from LoTW itself, I do have confirmation details even with those /R calls.

As a note, I DID indeed import a log with the -R suffix, and it correctly identified the country and other information. As it was importing the log check was yelling at me about it being incorrect, but took it in nonetheless. I'm not sure what other implications it has - but for the moment it seems to work.

And, finally, developers and programmers NEVER receive the fairness deserved. Your initial reply was tongue-in-cheek, which set me off. BUT - I understand why - this isn't the first time you've dealt with this. And no matter, my being rude is never acceptable since you're helping me better understand this tool. So in spite of my poor introduction, thank you.
Mark, K2AXX FN12cs90hc
TS-590SG - 100w currently
Soon Antennas:
TA-34 20-10, Cushcraft LFA 6M8 EL 50MHz, 1/2 Sloper 160M, 1/4w Vertical 80M
1/2 Sloper 40M (or Rotating Dipole), KW PA coming HF, 6m.
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

In both ARRL and CQ Magazine VHF/UHF contests, Rover stations are required to sign /R on cw and digital. This has been the case for many years. While I might have missed something, I could find no restrictions in the adif specifications that prohibit the use of /R as part of a callsign. While I might have missed something, I checked carefully. I have a few contacts with /R stations in my Log4OM log, and they were exported to adif, no problem. They were also uploaded to LOTW with no problem.

For Mark, K2AXX. This might solve your problem of changing the country for those /R calls. Using QSO Manager, type "/R" in the Callsign box. This will bring up all stations that have "/R" in their calls. However, only select the stations that are the ones you want to change. For example, I have 5B/RN3QO in my log, and that also shows up. Once you have the correct calls selected, click the "Single field update" tab. In the "Field to update" box, select "Country". In the "New value" box, select "United States" This assumes they are all in the United States. Some could be in Canada, for example. If not, you would need to do some more selecting. Once you have done all this, click the "Update" button.

Hope this helps.

Jim N6VH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N6VH wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 00:07 In both ARRL and CQ Magazine VHF/UHF contests, Rover stations are required to sign /R on cw and digital. This has been the case for many years. While I might have missed something, I could find no restrictions in the adif specifications that prohibit the use of /R as part of a callsign. While I might have missed something, I checked carefully. I have a few contacts with /R stations in my Log4OM log, and they were exported to adif, no problem. They were also uploaded to LOTW with no problem.
We are referring to licence conditions not what some independent award system sanctions and although there may be no rules in the US about this certainly many licencing authorities around the world are more stringent and insist that only certain suffixes are allowable.

e.g. Many European countries stipulate that the only allowable suffixes are /M, /A, /MM & /P
73 Terry G4POP
k2axx
Novice Class

Post by k2axx »

Jim,

Thank you for the reply! That is a very interesting workaround, I will have to give it a try. I have since downloaded and tested DXLabs, and find that the lack of /R restriction, and allowance for alternate suffix/modifiers is welcomed. It is also a far different user experience! Both very good, just need to get off the fence and decide which is more important.

That said, I have been really enjoying Log4OM and it's simplicity in automation. Either program is going to have a learning curve and limitations. Log4OM is a great shack tool, and lets me do things simply. I really like that. What started me was moving from VQLog, and how that was indeed a VERY useful tool for many years for me.

I, too, have thoroughly reviewed the ADIF standards, and find no hard and fast rule regarding the use of alternative suffixes, and that the ARRL LoTW accepts it without question is telling to me that it is a widely accepted thing. This boils down to 2 things, one Terry just addressed: 1) A regional division (i.e. R1 vs. R2) of acceptable use (where the UK uses /P, I don't believe roving is a popular thing in either the UK or EU), and 2) Adherence to the written ADIF standards vs. allowable inputs to the major logging entities. If a certificate is allowed to include /R to the ARRL, then IMHO it should be allowed by loggers.

I have had this discussion with Terry G4POP, and accept his reasoning and understand fully the restriction in Log4OM. It's a principled stand, and I have nothing but respect for the choice. I may wish for a change, but the developers are sound and fast in their considerations, and I've learned in my search for programs they are very reasonable in their accommodations, and realize that they are doing this for free.

Again, I really like your idea, and will investigate it further.

Mark, K2AXX
Mark, K2AXX FN12cs90hc
TS-590SG - 100w currently
Soon Antennas:
TA-34 20-10, Cushcraft LFA 6M8 EL 50MHz, 1/2 Sloper 160M, 1/4w Vertical 80M
1/2 Sloper 40M (or Rotating Dipole), KW PA coming HF, 6m.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Just to finish of the reasoning for not including /R as an agreed suffix!

If every operator stuck to the rules and only used a country prefix as it is intended PRE = BEFORE not after which then would be a suffix then we would not have to be so pedantic about this!

Example, if I operate in Norway I should sign LA/G4POP or LH/G4POP because they are the PREFIXES allocated by the ARRL/DXCC as listed here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/202 ... eleted.txt for that country and I should use the prefix in FRONT of my call.

Unfortunately along comes some cute guy from somewhere like Haiti and he decides to sign HH0??/G while he is on holiday in the UK.

Now if we dont accept our friend on vacation in the UK signing /G he would be logged as still being at home in Haiti and there would be many protests that we incorrectly identified his QTH!

Now the dilemma! what should we do when your chappie in the US activates a lighthouse and because its OK with some award manager somewhere he signs K3???/LH should we log him as operating from Norway? or should we make a call exception for /LH being a lighthouse - EASY you all say do the latter!

The problem is that when next a cheerful chappie from France signs F4???/LH because he is on vacation in Norway we ignore the suffix because you guys want your lighthouse award and we log his QTH as France - WRONG and the peasants revolt and riot because that dammed Log4OM made a mistake?

So we try to reduce the error factor by making certain suffix exceptions (/P, /M, /MM, /A and strangely /AM because in the US that is used a lot) so now 99.999% of the time we get the QTH correct but then sometimes some guy breaks the system by singing /LH for a lighthouse or in this case /R

So we are dammed if we do and dammed if we dont but we decided it was more important to get the QTH correct and thats how it will stay.
73 Terry G4POP