Rover /R Suffix

WT0DX
Advanced Class

Rover /R Suffix

Post by WT0DX »

I'm operating FT8 in the ARRL June VHF contest this weekend. There are a lot of roving stations signing /R at the end of their calls. While there is no problem logging the grids (WSJT-X -> JTAlert -> Log4OM), the country is being assigned as European Russia. I'm using QRZ.COM and HAMQTH as my information providers. Of course, I can go back and change the country after the station is logged.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this issue?

73 Bill WT0DX
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Rover /R Suffix

Post by DF5WW »

/R is not a valid extensiion. Valid are only /M, /MM, /P, /M, /AM. All other extensions
resulting in Errors like this so /LH for Lighthouse may give you Norway and things like
this. Not a Log4OM problem.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
WT0DX
Advanced Class

Post by WT0DX »

I'm not sure where valid extensions are defined for call letters. Is this in the ADIF standards?

However, I think this needs to be added as a valid extension. ARRL LOTW will process this extension, so why not Log4OM? This extension is used by many operators when they are roving on VHF bands. This is not something new...

73 Bill WT0DX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WT0DX wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:56 I'm not sure where valid extensions are defined for call letters. Is this in the ADIF standards?

However, I think this needs to be added as a valid extension. ARRL LOTW will process this extension, so why not Log4OM? This extension is used by many operators when they are roving on VHF bands. This is not something new...

73 Bill WT0DX
Jurgen is correct and we will stick with the format agreed by ADIF and by many radio regulatory bodies in the world.
73 Terry G4POP
WT0DX
Advanced Class

Post by WT0DX »

Understood. Guess I need to lobby the VHF community and ARRL to make a change to ADIF. :?

73 Bill WT0DX
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Don´t think that they will do so. Since we can use Callsign/Prefix if we are in another
country all loggers interpreting a /R as Russia, a /LH as Norway and so one. Maybe
these extensions should be -R or -LH or something like this but in that case not only
ARRL and K1JT has to react also the Lighthouse guys and some others.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
k2axx
Novice Class

Post by k2axx »

I understand the ADIF issue. However, how can one fix over 2100 QSOs with /R as the extension? Can I use bulk edit to remove /R and instead put -R or similar to indicate Rover status? And, if I use bulk edit to change the /R to -R - will I need to also run another bulk edit to rescan the QSOs and reset the country information?

I downloaded from QRZ, which happily accepts /R as well as LoTW to fill Log4OM.

Thank you for any assistance.

Mark, K2AXX
Mark, K2AXX FN12cs90hc
TS-590SG - 100w currently
Soon Antennas:
TA-34 20-10, Cushcraft LFA 6M8 EL 50MHz, 1/2 Sloper 160M, 1/4w Vertical 80M
1/2 Sloper 40M (or Rotating Dipole), KW PA coming HF, 6m.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

This is the statement from the ARRL re LOTW found on the LOTW web site

"Logging the Right Callsign
For your QSO to be confirmed via LoTW, it must match the information your QSO partner submits. In particular, the callsign you log must match the callsign your QSO partner uses to submit your QSO the callsign you use to submit your QSO must match the callsign your QSO partner logs

When Mike K1MK works Rick K1MU, there's no ambiguity; Mike logs the QSO with K1MU and uses his K1MK Callsign Certificate to submit this QSO to LoTW. But suppose Mike works Robert KC2YWE/QRP; should he log this QSO with KC2YWE/QRP or with KC2YWE?

To maximize the probability that both parties in a QSO act consistently and therefore obtain LoTW confirmation, the following "best practices" are recommended:

Log the callsign that your QSO partner sent over-the-air unless your QSO partner's over-the-air callsign includes a non-standard suffix like /QRP or /LH, in which case you should ask him or her what callsign they'll be using to upload your QSO to LoTW, and log that callsign

Submit your QSO to LoTW using the Callsign Certificate for the callsign that you used over-the air; if you operated as P5DX/QRP, for example, then submit your QSOs using a Callsign Certificate that specifes P5DX/QRP as its callsign.

Note: some DX and contest stations won't log non-standard suffixes like /QRP or /LH or the three-letter county abbreviations used when activating a US county. If you submit your QSO using a Callsign Certificate whose callsign specifies one of these non-standard suffixes but don't receive a timely confirmation, try resubmitting your QSO using a Callsign Certificate whose callsign omits the suffix".

So basically you can do what you wish in Log4OM as far as editing is concerned but the end result will be according to the Tqsl cert of the other station or your own.

Just because some stations chose to use a suffix like /QRP or /Latrine does not make it correct! even though if that call is registered with that suffix at LOTW or QRZ, its up to you how your circumvent the problem.
73 Terry G4POP
k2axx
Novice Class

Post by k2axx »

Terry,

I would appreciate assistance with this. Can I use the SQL editor to CHANGE the suffix to something more acceptable like -R and re-scan the log, or should I abandon the log, edit the ADIF I get from LoTW, and re-import?

-Mark, K2AXX

NOTE: I have edited my rather rude reply. It was unbecoming and not useful to this discussion. If you did see it, my apologies.

Also Note: I have downloaded & installed ADIFMaster, and can edit the raw ADI files and then import them to remove the non-standard elements. That may be the solution for those like me who have logs that include /R and /LH suffixes.
Mark, K2AXX FN12cs90hc
TS-590SG - 100w currently
Soon Antennas:
TA-34 20-10, Cushcraft LFA 6M8 EL 50MHz, 1/2 Sloper 160M, 1/4w Vertical 80M
1/2 Sloper 40M (or Rotating Dipole), KW PA coming HF, 6m.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

k2axx wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 23:40Terry,

I would appreciate assistance with this. Can I use the SQL editor to CHANGE the suffix to something more acceptable like -R and re-scan the log, or should I abandon the log, edit the ADIF I get from LoTW, and re-import?

-Mark, K2AXX

NOTE: I have edited my rather rude reply. It was unbecoming and not useful to this discussion. If you did see it, my apologies.

Also Note: I have downloaded & installed ADIFMaster, and can edit the raw ADI files and then import them to remove the non-standard elements. That may be the solution for those like me who have logs that include /R and /LH suffixes.

Unless your adept with SQL I would suggest that for safety you export an ADIF from Log4OM, edit it in adif master then re-import it to a new database - That way you always have a fall back situation.

Amending to -R may not fix everything for you it depends how the other stations have registered these odd calls, if at all, with QRZ and LOTW.

BTW Log4OM does not accept a hyphen (-) in the call sign input field

Thank you for the apology I must say my hackles rise when users are rude and stroppy it helps no one and makes me wonder why we waste our time and money providing free software and support.
73 Terry G4POP