Antenna tuning

DB9CR
Novice Class

Antenna tuning

Post by DB9CR »

Hello
when clicking on different entries in the cluster view, I can easily tune my transceiver to the correct frequency by just a double click. When this involves a band change, a re-tune of my CG3000 antenna tuner is necessary. This should be done at low power and with a mode that actually transmits a signal, even without NF input from the microphone, e.g. FM, AM or CW. Unfortunately, there is little support for that in Log4OM, so I always end up in a complex series of steps on the clumsy buttons of my transceiver. (Yes, I know, at least the mode can be changed on the CAT screen of Log4OM)
I would like to see a single button to tune my antenna on the main view that executes a series of actions:
- On press, change mode to FM, AM or CW (configurable), lower HF power to a configurable value and press ptt
- If possible, while button is pressed, show SWR value. A decimal number display would be perfectly fine here, no need for needles, gauges, whatever.
- On release, release PTT, change mode back to original mode, restore power setting. The last SWR readout should be kept.
(to my understanding, that all can be done via cat)
I would be very glad if you could consider this.
Thanks in advance
Christian DB9CR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Antenna tuning

Post by G4POP »

DB9CR wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 12:22 Hello
when clicking on different entries in the cluster view, I can easily tune my transceiver to the correct frequency by just a double click. When this involves a band change, a re-tune of my CG3000 antenna tuner is necessary. This should be done at low power and with a mode that actually transmits a signal, even without NF input from the microphone, e.g. FM, AM or CW. Unfortunately, there is little support for that in Log4OM, so I always end up in a complex series of steps on the clumsy buttons of my transceiver. (Yes, I know, at least the mode can be changed on the CAT screen of Log4OM)
I would like to see a single button to tune my antenna on the main view that executes a series of actions:
- On press, change mode to FM, AM or CW (configurable), lower HF power to a configurable value and press ptt
- If possible, while button is pressed, show SWR value. A decimal number display would be perfectly fine here, no need for needles, gauges, whatever.
- On release, release PTT, change mode back to original mode, restore power setting. The last SWR readout should be kept.
(to my understanding, that all can be done via cat)
I would be very glad if you could consider this.
Thanks in advance
Christian DB9CR

Did you read page 23 of our user guide re keystrokes for PTT/TUNE?

Then its just double click the cluster spot followed by CTRL+ the selected PTT key to activate your ATU
73 Terry G4POP
DB9CR
Novice Class

Re: Antenna tuning

Post by DB9CR »

Thanks, Terry, I missed that detail. the trick is to search for "tune" in the manual, not for "tuner".

That's similar to theway WSJT-X implements the tune button

Additional questions:
  • Will the defined hotkey just send a tone or will it also reduce the transmit power?
  • In my setup, only in data mode, my ft891 will accept audio from the computer. In SSB mode, only the microphone is active. So tuning fails, if the transceiver is set to SSB as the tone coming from computer audio is not sent out, which means almost no signal at all in SSB.
Wouldn't it be better to reduce power and switch to cw to tune? That would work even without an audio connection to the computer.
Of course it's some work and I am not complaning about a free software. Just an idea in the hope it's helpful.

73 Christian DB9CR