Failed Win10 Install

KA4CDN
Old Man

Failed Win10 Install

Post by KA4CDN »

Long time user of Log4OM and I've never had the trouble I'm having now installing new. It must be a Windows 10 issue.

Brand new Windows 10 Pro version 10.1.19041

I have both an Admin account and a normal User account. I am trying to install under the normal account.

After install I get a message box titled: "Initialization error" with test about "Something goes wrong during Log4OM startup sequence. Probably a missing file in the configuration folder. Check Application Log"

Log4OM continues to start and brings up the Configuration dialog at the Station Information page. There I can enter my station Callsign but can not set other required fields (IARU Region, Station Country, etc). The Station Gridsquare map does not show a map only the words "Exception: No data in local tile cache...."

I checked the Log file and it says things about "Base File not found. For example:

Code: Select all

2021-07-28 14:23:54.1653 INFO:        [#=zkb4_jJl7QKvgqlH6Bw==] : Log4OM Next Generation (V2) version: 2.15.0.0 
2021-07-28 14:23:54.1809 WARN:        [FwFile][ComposeFilename] :    ComposeUserFilename [load]: Base File not found  file C:\Users\KA4CDN\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\l4ong.status 
2021-07-28 14:23:54.1809 INFO:        [#=zkb4_jJl7QKvgqlH6Bw==] : Status file not found in config folder 
but those files are there, I can see them using the Windows File Explorer.

If I run As Administrator I do not get this error but the manual say we don't need to do that and I've not need to run as Admin in prior installs of Log4OK v2.

Mike / KA4CDN
\-boy do I hate setting up new Windows computers-\

Log4OM version 2.15.0.0
User manual date: 02/07/2021 1:25 PM
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Failed Win10 Install

Post by DF5WW »

Hello Mike,

first of all is that your W10 Pro is not up to date. Latest is 21H1 Build 19043 (see attached screenshot)

1.png
1.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Second thing ist that a Firewall or Antivirus deleting a file. Also possible is a broken Download.

Please download a fresh installer and before you unpack it stop the firewall and antivirus for
that action. Unpack it, install it and then you can activate FW and AV again.

But first of all use Windows Update to check for aktual versions. If you like to see what your
version is use the Windows Key and R. In the upcoming box type in "winver" and hit enter.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Juergen,

Thanks for trying to help me.

I did all you suggested and the results are the same.

I've updated the OS to the latest and it matches your screen shot now. I turned off all firewalls and and the Win10 defender virus and threat protection is off. This a brand new computer with no other anti virus s/w installed. No other programs installed except Brave browser and FLDigi.

I download a new Log4OM zip, unpacked and installed as a normal user. I received the same error and the log indicates again that it can not find the files that are in fact in the locations it is trying to access. Firewalls and Defender are still off.

Mike / KA4CDN
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hmm, i use only installations with "Run as administrator" so i use Omnirig and it´s
multithreading functions which must have run all softwares as administrator.

I have only one more idea. Some files are in C://user/username/appdata/roaming/log4om2.
These folders are normally hidden folders. Could be possible that the software need these
adminitrativ files to find them. One way is to make these folders visible.

Not shure that this is solving the problem but it´s worth to try:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 66d1d9f4b5
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Further info ...

Log4OM runs OK from the primary Windows User account, which of coarse is type Administrator.

It does not run under a user that is a Local Account. I tried setting the Local Account originally as a Standard User type but I just tried as an Administrator type as well. This user is under "Other users". Maybe I need to make it under "Your family"?

I also tried running Log4OM as Administrator while logon the Local Account and the results were the same.

Mike / KA4CDN
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Find L4ONG.exe in your installation folder. Use a mouseover and right mouseklick.
Open Properties, in the next window open Security and you will see a list off users.

I have the german version so use the red boxed button to change the user rights.
Give all the users you want the same rights as your administrator account. Save
all changes and restart Windows. Then try again ..

The last idea i have ... :( :(
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Was log4om installed in the default folders or did you choose a location?

Where is the sqlite database stored?
73 Terry G4POP
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Juergen,

No luck. I'd already made the AppData viewable so I could see if the 'missing' files were missing or not.

I tried changing the L4ONG.exe permissions. Again no change.

So I think I am stuck using the primary user. Not the end of the world but I don't understand MS. What is the point of users that can't use their own data!!

Thank you again for your assistance.

Mike / KA4CDN
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

Hi Terry.

I installed in the default directory.

There is no database yet. I can't setup the Station Information yet.
init_error.png
init_error.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
stationInfo.png
stationInfo.png (37.98 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
I'm also attaching my log file.

What is weird is after the error message and exiting the Configuration dialog (which has to be done twice), Log4OM application is running and I can then use the menu
Help->'Open log file' to see the log, which is under C:\Users\KA4CDN\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2 !!??
I can also use the 'Open config folder' under menu Help.

So Log4OM must have access to the files. Why can't it open them on start? Why doesn't the Station Information screen work?

Mike / KA4CDN
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Move the sqlite log file to either your documents folder or a cloud folder, do not have it in the app data tree

DO NOT post log files to the forum they contain your personal information, I have removed it
73 Terry G4POP