Update database entries from ADIF file

DK8PP
Novice Class

Update database entries from ADIF file

Post by DK8PP »

Hello,

I use LOG4OM version 2.xx since about a year, mostly for FT8 QSOs but a few phone QSOs as well. Only now I found that I made a consistent mistake with WSJT-X from the beginning: when prompted to log the QSO, I entered the TX-power with a trailing "W" (e.g. 100W). LOG4OM silently ignores that entry, as it expects a number, not a text and therefore all records have the TX-power missing (TX power = 0). I'm not too active, but the number of affected entries is now in the order of 500. Well, admittedly, my mistake.

I can easily and semi-automatically edit the WSJT-X ADIF file with a text editor to correct the TX-power entries, but when I import the modified ADIF file in LOG4OM, the records are (correctly) detected a duplicates and are entirely ignored. My expectation would be, that any modified fields update the records in the database. Is there any setting which achieves such a behaviour? Or is there any better way to fix the database?

May I also suggest that a mistake in an imported ADIF record (e.g. entering a text instead of a number) would be flagged as info, warning or error, at least optionally?

tnx and vy73,
Michael, DK8PP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Update database entries from ADIF file

Post by G4POP »

Just use the QSO manager to bulk update the QSO's, details in our user guide and youtube tutorials

Basically

QSO manager and filter for TXPower = 0

Select all resulting QSO's (Highlight)

In single field update tab select 'Field to update' (TXPWR)

Set 'New value' to 100

Click update
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hello Michael,

why not use bulk editing from QSO Manager to have an easy edit for your TX Power setting without
importing an editet ADIF file ? It´s described from the side #92 in the actual user guide. You can
change any field you find in the field list for a mass of contacts.

;) ;)

Uuups, Terry was a bit faster ... ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
DK8PP
Novice Class

Post by DK8PP »

Hello Terry and Jürgen,

thanks a lot for your quick response. I'm afraid, however, that it is not that easy, because not all QSOs have been made with 100 Watts TX power. Some were done with just 1W, others on 60 m with the permitted limit of 15W and basically everything between 1 and 100 Watts. The phone QSOs seem to be ok, as I entered the values manually in Log4OM. I really feel I have to merge the updated WSJT-X ADIF file into the Log4OM database. It is actually not important enough to do it manually, it would be a waste of time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again and kind regards,

Michael
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

FYI importing an adif where the QSO's already exist will not work they will be rejected as duplicates.

Just do the editing in batches for example

Filter
band = 60m
Mode = SSB (or FT8 etc)
TXpwr Not equal to 15
Then update those QSO's

And so on etc
73 Terry G4POP
DK8PP
Novice Class

Post by DK8PP »

Hello Terry,

thanks again. It basically means I'm out of luck. It is just too tedious and too much manual work to be worth it. I'll leave the entries as they are.

vy73,
Michael
s51cn
Novice Class

Post by s51cn »

Hello Michael
Use ADIFMaster program. Import your .adi file. In TX_PWR column right-click and choose "Remove Right Char".
73 Bojan S51CN
s51cn
Novice Class

Post by s51cn »

Sorry Michael,
my mistake on "Remove Right Char", please use "Remove Alpha".
I hope this resolve your problem.
73 de S51CN
DK8PP
Novice Class

Post by DK8PP »

Hello Bojan,

thank you for pointing me to this very useful utility, I didn't know it yet. Indeed, it changes all my wrong entries in the WSJT-X ADIF file with just one mouse click, much faster than I could do it with a text editor. But anyway, I'm then back to my old problem, when importing that modified file, Log4OM won't overwrite existing records with new data. Every record is just refused as duplicate.

Let's not dig deeper here, we shouldn't waste our time. Maybe a future version of Log4OM will be a bit more flexible on ADIF imports and then I can still revisit this issue.

73 de DK8PP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

What your asking for is a MERGE not an import
73 Terry G4POP