Log4OM NextGen Lost Configuration and Database

W6SDM
Advanced Class

Log4OM NextGen Lost Configuration and Database

Post by W6SDM »

I shut down my PC completely to move some furniture and when I turned it back on, LOG4OM came up as a new program with no configuration. This happened to me several years ago but it was with the old version and I don't remember what I did to correct it. I know that I need to copy the config.xml file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM NextGen directory but I can't find that file. Also, there is no config.xml file there at all. When I look in the C:\Users\ddmar\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\backup folder alI I find is config.json.

I assume that when I find the backup of config.xml and replace the one in the working directory, it should point to my current log file and my log data will come up. Where do I find config.xml?

Thanks and 73,

Steve, W6SDM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4OM NextGen Lost Configuration and Database

Post by G4POP »

See 'Emergencies' page 228>>>> of the user guide for correct file names and locations
73 Terry G4POP
W6SDM
Advanced Class

Post by W6SDM »

The .json ext. had me confused. I was looking for an .XML file. I found the backups in my specified backup directory, C:\Log4OM_Backups. Oddly, there isn't a config.json file or an ADIF file in my main directory. So if I understand the instructions correctly, I remove the "_backup" from the ADIF file name and copy it along with the config.json file into the main directory, right?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

NO!

Without Log4OM running

1. Copy the config.json file to C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Log4OM2\user folder

2. Start Log4OM - (At this point you wont have any QSO's)

3. either locate your original SQLITE database if you know where it is and use File/Open new database to load it - - - - OR -------- If you cannot find the file create a new database from the File/Open - New database dialog -- - -- - - -- - You now have a new but EMPTY database.

4. In the Log4OM File/Import ADIF menu select the latest backup ADIF file and import it, now your program is restored
73 Terry G4POP
W6SDM
Advanced Class

Post by W6SDM »

Terry,

I apologize for the late reply. I was away for a while.

I tried that and was unable to recover the config data. Not a problem though, I reentered all of the data and built a new config file. Everything is working as it should.

Whatever took out my config file also took out the Flex Radio Virtual Serial Ports too. They still appeared in Device Manager but none of the various apps, including Flex CAT could see them. To recover, I had to disable, delete, and then re-install each one of my CAT ports. This happened to me a couple of years ago and the lesson I learned is to keep a list of the CAT ports, their properties, and what they're used for. It will save a lot of grief if you ever have to rebuild these in the future. Now, I will also keep a screenshot of my config file from Log4OM, GridTracker, and WSJT-X so that I don't have to guess at UDP settings, etc.

Steve, W6SDM