Logging SOTA QSO, gridsquare & s2s

f4iyy
Novice Class

Logging SOTA QSO, gridsquare & s2s

Post by f4iyy »

Hi all,

I start to practice SOTA, and I am quite fine with it, it works like a charm.

When I do SOTA, I am not at home, I am on XYZ summit so my QTH is this summit.

Question 1
Is it possible for Log4OM to automatically fill the GridSquare textbox from the My QTH tab with the GridSquare from the Summit.

Question 2
If I do a summit to summit, is it possible for Log4OM to fill the Grid textbox from the summit where the other guy is.

Because in that case compute of distances is wrong as it is based from my data lookup from QRZ.COM

Thank you All, have a great week.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Logging SOTA QSO, gridsquare & s2s

Post by G4POP »

f4iyy wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 21:00

When I do SOTA, I am not at home, I am on XYZ summit so my QTH is this summit.

Question 1
Is it possible for Log4OM to automatically fill the GridSquare textbox from the My QTH tab with the GridSquare from the Summit.
Providing you set up your station config with the locator for the summit as well as your SOTA ref in the Program Config Station Info and My References tabs then that is what will be recorded for that activation - Many of us set up separate program configs for each summit, POTA, IOTA etc - All covered in the user guide!
Question 2
If I do a summit to summit, is it possible for Log4OM to fill the Grid textbox from the summit where the other guy is.

Because in that case compute of distances is wrong as it is based from my data lookup from QRZ.COM
It already does this, try comparing the locator saved against a summit worked against the locator for the persons call sign shown on QRZ you will see its different - SOTA summit locator info is harvested from the SOTA summit list and SOTA Mapping project so that the correct locator is used instead of the activators home locator
73 Terry G4POP
f4iyy
Novice Class

Post by f4iyy »

Thank you Terry , I will have a look ASAP, I have a SOTA to fulfill. Thank you again.
f4iyy
Novice Class

Post by f4iyy »

Hi Terry,

Sorry to borrow you. But unfortunately, I am not able to make it working correctly.

Despite: Settings, Configuration My References, I put a Summit from... far away from me. (I am south of France, and I put something near Switzerland).
When I add a QSO, in MyRef I have the correct summit, good. However in MyQTH, I still having the grid square from my home and I don't have the gridsquare from the summit where I was (F/JU-034 locator is JN25sv)
I also tried to export in ADIF and of course, my home gridsquare is in and not the gridsquare from the summit.

Same as for summit to summit, grid square remain empty, except if I manually key in somthing inside the field, but it is not auto populated from the summit where the guy in front of me was.

Thank you for your help Terry.

I am please to provide you any information you may want, just ask.

Léopold
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OK the only way you can get your SOTA grid recorded at this time is by setting up a new config for each summit you activate and use that config for those QSO's only - Fairly simple just use the clone facilitty and change the grid before saving and of curse the My SOTA Reference.

The grid for the other persons summit should automatically be populated when entering the SOTA ref but I just checked and its broken, AGAIN ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I will explore the possibility of auto updating your SOTA reference grid at the same time as we check the broken other persons SOTA grid
73 Terry G4POP
DK9JC
Advanced Class

Post by DK9JC »

After many hundreds of SOTA activations I can tell you the following:

In the past I always adjusted the profile + locator etc. every time in Log4OM.

Which saves me a lot of time: I log directly on my mobile phone with VK-port a log.

I set the summit, loc, etc. there. I upload from there to the cloud (Dropbox or whatever) and the ADIF I also upload directly to the SOTA DB from my mobile phone. Often from the mountain or on the way back.

I then take the ADIF from the cloud at home and import it into Log4OM. Everything is already filled in correctly there (including S2S and Loc) and you don't even have to change profiles in Log4OM.
73 de John, DK9JC (AK9JC stateside)
https://www.dk9jc.de
f4iyy
Novice Class

Post by f4iyy »

Hey John,
That is an interesting process, I will have a look tonight when back to home.
Thank you for sharing. Really appreciated.
Léopold
f4iyy
Novice Class

Post by f4iyy »

Hi John,

Thank you for all. I am waiting to be accepted in the group.io

I will try this app and let you know.

Thank you.

Léopold.
f4iyy
Novice Class

Post by f4iyy »

Hi John,

I have tested VK port a log at home, seems to tick a lot of box, very nice. This weekend I will test it in SOTA. I will see if my two hands can mange mic & phone ;)

There is on things missing, probably if you track the groups.io chan you have seen my message. Let me expose that to you (and how I solved it). I am curious if you feel the same and potentially how did you solved it. So I take you view in reply ;)

VK port a log does not populate <GRIDSQUARE field which is an important field if we want to compute distance later.

- In S2S scenario VK port a log does not collect from it's SOTA database the gridsquare of the guy in front of you so <GRIDSQUARE is not here in the generated ADIF. (reason: summit point might not be the activation point if you are not exactly at the summit but a bit around).

Always in order to avoid loosing time in front of computer and to reduce human mistake, before loading the ADIF (coming from VK port a log), I enriched it with a bit of Python, if I see that <SOTA_REF is here (that mean QSO is a S2S) I lookup SOTA lat/lon from the CSV file, compute the gridsquare & enrich the record before re-writing the ADIF file. Only after that only import it to Log4OM.

- For non S2S, I relied on Log4OM to connect to hamQth and lookup the gridsquare but now I have added that feature to my python script and do this lookup on the fly before Log4OM import.

I am currious if you got same view as me ? and if you find a better way to solve it.

Thank you John.

Thank you.
LB9EH
New user

Post by LB9EH »

Hello SOTA Friends!

Try out HAMRS for loging on summit and send it to SOTA DB and Log4om.

This work for me and i save time!

73 de Bjørn