SSL-secured email doesn't work, Non-SSL does work

KC7X
Novice Class

SSL-secured email doesn't work, Non-SSL does work

Post by KC7X »

I tried to configure my email (using Settings -> Program Configuration -> E-mail Settings). I discovered that I can successfully send both test and alert emails from log4om2 (Version 2.18.0.0) if I disable SSL and use the unsecured port number at my ISP (in my case, port 587), but if I enable SSL and use the secure port number (in my case, port 465), I am not able to successfully send test or alert emails from log4om2. I validated my mail settings against a Microsoft Outlook email client, and Outlook works fine with the secure SSL and port settings.

This doesn't present a real problem for me, as I can simply use unsecure email to send alerts to the targeted email account. But it appears to possibly be a bug in log4om2, so I thought I would bring it to the attention of the developers and also note it for other users who may be frustrated trying to connect their email using secure SSL to their SMTP server.

73's,

Rick - KC7X
73's,

Rick - KC7X
--... ...-- -.. . -.- -.-. --... -..-
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SSL-secured email doesn't work, Non-SSL does work

Post by KI5IO »

Rick,

Just a guess/suggestion (as I noted in your other post about Solar data ... check your PC's firewall. Read that other post as I shared a bit about what "protector" I'm using on my laptop.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KC7X
Novice Class

Post by KC7X »

Hi and thanks for the reply, Nolan. I answered your post in the other thread as well. I had the same suspicions about the firewall. I am running Windows Defender and have verified that Log4OM2 does have access. That doesn't seem to be the problem at the moment. But good call on your part suggesting that it might be. Good to know that it is working for you. I'll keep digging and see what I can find on my end.

BTW, I don't believe that the problem is anything upstream of the PC (like a firewall in the router) since I am able to make secure SSL connections using the same ports from other clients from the same PC.

73's,

Rick - KC7X
73's,

Rick - KC7X
KC7X
Novice Class

Post by KC7X »

PROBLEM SOLVED. It appears that I am now able to send SSL-secured email from Log4OM2.

The reasons behind the resolution of the issue are not entirely clear to me, but I am happy with the outcome nevertheless.

In hopes that this may help someone else, here is what I found:

Let me preface this with the fact that I checked the firewall (Windows Defender) on my PC, and Log4OM2 is indeed "allowed" both inbound and outbound access on all ports.

When I set my alternate mail client (Outlook) to use port 465 with SSL on my PC as suggested by my web hosting company (Hostgator), it works fine. When I set Log4OM2 to use the same port 465 with SSL on the same PC, it doesn't work. So no SSL-secured email for Log4OM2 this way. (This was my original issue.)

For unsecured email, when I set my alternate mail client (Outlook) to use port 587 without SSL on my PC as suggested by my web hosting provider, it works fine. When I set Log4OM2 to use port 587 without SSL on the same PC, it also works fine. So unsecured email works as advertised by both the web hosting provider and by Log4OM2. (As noted in an earlier thread.)

However, here's the kicker: When I set Log4OM2 to use port 587 with SSL, it seems to work to provide SSL-secured email! I'm not sure how I can actually validate that it is delivering SSL-secured email at this point, but it appears (from the "Use SSL" checkbox) that this combination of port 587 with SSL enabled works to provide SSL-secured email.

I happened upon this after much experimentation and some web research that indicated that IANA has reassigned a new service to port 465, and it should no longer be used for SMTP communications, contrary to the perhaps outdated advice from my web hosting provider.

I hope this helps others.

Cheers and 73,

Rick - KC7X
73's,

Rick - KC7X
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Rick,

I'm using SSL and Port 587 and that combination was recommended by the sources I had tested.

Hostgator (as you noted) might have outdated information at their site. When I was still working (I'm now retired) and had a couple website the host companies were sometimes a bit lagging on certain data points when it came to e-mail account information. I think I even used Hostgator for a short span of time, but dropped them after many datacenter power failure issues. Ended up using A2 Hosting for the last 5 or so years when I was still in business.

https://www.a2hosting.com/?aid=60444ff2 ... d=edae5de3
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX