First time V2 user, issues I noticed

yt9tp
Old Man

First time V2 user, issues I noticed

Post by yt9tp »

I recently set new desktop PC so I installed Log4OM (v2.22.0.0). Here are my impressions as first time user of this version:

I lost all customization of Log4OM v1. The only thing I could save was log database.

On entering QSO i noticed that dxcc, country and zone data were not automatically updated with entering station call sign. Finally I found out that new install does not contain dxcc, country and other data and that I have to manually download them. Log4Om should at least warn that there is no needed data to finish the tasks.

Updating external data seems to fixed some fields keep resetting entered values after QSO is saved.

After I downloaded those data, it had no influence on already entered QSOs. I had to reenter them manually. Newly entered QSOs had related data automatically updated.

Entering QSO date and time is strange. I have to click on each item and type in value. Each time I move to anther item in date time field some refreshing event initiates and focus is moved to call sign field so I have to move back to date time filed to continue editing.

There are start end end QSO date time. Usually I enter start date and time only, but program forces use of end date time too. I cannot turn that off so I end up having to enter that too (as I do not have that info in my log i have to invent it). There should be option to turn of entering end QSO sate and time for good.

Entering new QSO and editing QSO are completely different. Not different only in looks but also in functionality. I end up entering new QSO, saving it and then opening edit to check what is actually entered and to finish entering data I was unable ti enter in new QSO dialog. Editing dialog has checkbox to turn of end QSO date and time. It also allows entering My radio and My antenna.

As editing dialog is more user friendly it would be great if we could use it as new QSO dialog too.

Each time I start Log4OM it shows main screen (day/night map and world map). I find that useless for my purpose. As this is logging program I want to see log data (recent QSO's) but I could not find way to set it open as default screen.

When Cluster screen is opened (F8) there is no option to turn on and off cluster connection or to enter cluster settings. I found out that turning cluster on button is on top of the windows hidden under the icon that does not remotely associate to cluster, and for configuration I have to go
to menus and search there.

Propagation window (F9) just says NO DATA AVAILABLE. I could not find how to make it work.

When I enter QSO, antenna bearing is set automatically, to bearing where station country is. I use dipole antenna, I cannot turn it around, so this info is not just false but misleading. I could not find option to at least set fixed bearing for dipole antenna.

I found it rather cumbersome entering data from paper log due to fact that order of fields in Log4OM completely differs from common field order in paper logs.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
HB9VQQ
Old Man

Re: First time V2 user, issues I noticed

Post by HB9VQQ »

Hi, thanks for your input.

Well, this excellent piece of logging Software was not only written specifically for you and your setup. It is available for FREE to anyone and tries to cover many different use cases and various setups. I changed from HRD to Log4OM a couple of years ago and after some familiarisation, I find it very convenient and useful.

Take your time to get used to V2 and all will be good. Also, a little thankfulness for all the work from the Dev Team and Supporters in this Forum is certainly not out of place.

It also helps to read at least the Quick Start Guide and the fine Manual, which I am sure you already did.

Roland
Happy Log4OM User
Flex 6600 - Spiderbeam
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The user guide and quick start guide clearly state

Log4OM version 2 cannot use an SQLITE database created/used by Log4OM version 1, it has an entirely different
structure.
Users of Log4OM Version 1 should export an ADIF file in ADIF 3 format and then import it into the new version 2 of Log4OM once a database has been created or use Log4OM v.1 automatic backup as source
73 Terry G4POP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Pedja,

As Terry has noted the structure and format of Log4OM V2 is totally different than the legacy Log4OM V1.

Reading your message suggests that you have not thoroughly read the Quick Start Guide and/or watched any of the 12+ YouTube Videos that Terry has produced for Log4OM V2.

So many things you have noted are simply addressed if you take the time to properly fill in the data in the Configuration section of the program.

Also ... entering in QSO data from (for example) a paper log is best done by a specialized routine called Lazy Log that is very well detailed in the current User Guide and there is also a YouTube video about that function as well.

I was also a long-term user of Log4OM V1 and the transition to Log4OM V2 is a substantial change, but taking the time to read the Quick Start Guide and having the current User Guide as well as watching all the YouTube videos will serve you very well.

Take your time, slow down, review the support videos and guides and all will come together very well for you.

You can keep V1 running along side V2 as you get used to how it works. There is absolutely no conflict when running both V1 & V2 at the same time.

Here are some links to Terry's YouTube videos and the Quick Start Guide and Current User Guide.

Terry's YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Ppcj ... yavI-azOug

YouTube Quick Start Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvR_Ngpeqw

Quick Start Guide: https://www.log4om.com/l4ong/usermanual ... ide_EN.pdf

Current User Guide: https://www.log4om.com/l4ong/usermanual ... NG_ENU.pdf

73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX