GRID default row count

ve2bjg
Novice Class

GRID default row count

Post by ve2bjg »

Is it possible to let us pick the number we want as default row count ? Why limit this to 10,000.

Everytime I start LOG4OM, I manually unlock the padlock in the Recent QSO page and set it to 20,000. This works fine but it would be nice to be able to set it in the Program Settings menu for the next time we start the program.

Why is this limit imposed ? I have a Dell XPS with an Intel i9 processor and it can certainly cope with 20000 items to sort and display !
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: GRID default row count

Post by G4POP »

ve2bjg wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 19:51 Is it possible to let us pick the number we want as default row count ? Why limit this to 10,000.

Everytime I start LOG4OM, I manually unlock the padlock in the Recent QSO page and set it to 20,000. This works fine but it would be nice to be able to set it in the Program Settings menu for the next time we start the program.

Please read the user guide page 179 >>>>

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Why is this limit imposed ? I have a Dell XPS with an Intel i9 processor and it can certainly cope with 20000 items to sort and display !

Not everyone is so well endowed with a powerful PC as you so to save on resources for those using an knackered tablet or steam driven laptop we provide a choice!

Moving topic to User support as this is not new feature
73 Terry G4POP
ve2bjg
Novice Class

Post by ve2bjg »

I have read the user guide Terry. You can't put a number greater than 10,000 in there.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ve2bjg wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 15:59 I have read the user guide Terry. You can't put a number greater than 10,000 in there.
Have you got a monitor that allows you to display 10000?

Its only qso's displayed nothing to do with the number of QSO searched for any purpose!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Limit was set to avoid performance issues. An I9 is a very powerful CPU but the datagrid control is managed by design by a single CPU CORE, so having 32 vCPU or 4 doesn't matter.
Other activities are using threads and parallel processing, but datagrid is filled sequentially by a single thread.

Another reason is we can't find why an user should "degrade" his experience to have a 60.000 QSO "excel grid" while you have some powerful search tools to satisfy your needs. I can't see an user case scenario where the user manually scrolls down through 60.000 QSO searching for the right one :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
ve2bjg
Novice Class

Post by ve2bjg »

Thanks for comments Terry and Daniele.

I do not need to visualize more than 10,000 records Terry. I just want to do a SEARCH in my database. I have 14,060 QSO logged into Log4OM database at the present. I like to quickly sort by callsign and scroll to see if I have data on a station.

What I do now instead is to use either ADIF Master to display the whole JTDX file or I use SqLite DB browser and I query the Log4OM SQL file. Or I manually set Log4OM to 15,000 QSO and sort by callsign (prefered option since Log4OM is already running!).

I understand Daniele you are using a single thread for sorting but you still could let us go above 10,000 records. In 10 years from now when we get i15 or i30 processors running a single thread at 32GHz maybe going to 32,000 records won't be such an effort and will be a nice thing!

But for now I was merely suggesting that you leave the default at 10,000 lines but let users modify it at their risks if they choose to increase it to 16, 32 or 64K records.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ve2bjg wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 13:48 I do not need to visualize more than 10,000 records Terry. I just want to do a SEARCH in my database. I have 14,060 QSO logged into Log4OM database at the present. I like to quickly sort by callsign and scroll to see if I have data on a station.
As Lele and I both stated the number you are changing DOES NOT AFFECT the searches, searches are done on the WHOLE database regardless of this setting!

The number that you refer to is ONLY for display - NOT to do with searching
73 Terry G4POP