Huge amount of QSO's with wrong Locator

EI2GLB
Old Man

Huge amount of QSO's with wrong Locator

Post by EI2GLB »

Hi All

I have noticed that over 1200 or my 2500 6m QSO's have the wrong locator logged against the other station,

Is there any easy way to resolve this or may I just forget about it,

I have clicked on Update Info but it doesn't update the locator,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Huge amount of QSO's with wrong Locator

Post by G4POP »

If no locator is available from external services Log4OM allocates a locator roughly equivelent to the centre of the country.

To fix this in QSO manager clear/empty/delete the locators that are not correct from the QSO's by bulk editing them and then use the update button to attempt an update from lookup
73 Terry G4POP
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

Thanks for the reply Terry, I don't think the time it will take to do this will justify the results, I only started paying attention to grids on 6m last year so the chances of me missing some rare ones in these old QSO's is small,

Trevor
EI2GLB

V2.21.1.0
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

The possibility of adding to my square total get the better of me and after having a look at what you mention Terry it seemed easier than I first taught,

Only think I will say that having the XML sub on QRZ.com made a big difference.

The first 200 I did using hamqth as my data source and I had to manually search for about 25-30 of those stations to update there locator,

I decided to subscribe to QRZ.com as I had let my sub lapse years ago and for the remaining 1000 QSO's I only have a dozen or so that I manually needed to search for there info,

In the end I found 20 new squares so happy with the return for about 2 hours work,

Here is how I did it for anyone that finds this in a search in time,

First I created a filter on my log book to the band I was interested in

I then exported the Log book is CSV and opened it in EXCEL

In EXCEL sort by Gridsquare and then look to see what squares (6 digit) have multiply QSO's

I had approximately 35 Squares showing as many as 100 QSO's but some only had as low as 5, (any less I didn't worry about)

Take note of the squares and back in Log4OM in QSO Manager Create a filter again with band and the Gridsquare,

Select all the QSO's and click on the Single Field update select Gridsquare and then tick the clear field button,

Do this for all the Squares that you need to, Then create a new filter with the band and gridsquare = (blank)

This will show all the QSO's you just removed the incorrect grid from, Select all of them and click the update info button and if you are lucky you will only be left with a small few to manually update,

If you what to update the distance section then you can create another filter with band and distance = 0 and then go to QSO checks and select option 1, do the simulation first to make sure it is going to work and then if no errors run it again,

Hope this is of some help to someone, Always have a backup of your log to fall back on,

Trevor
EI2GLB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Well Trevor you certainly did it the hard way! :lol:

Easier route would have been in Log4OM Utilities/QSO Manager to:

a. Filter by required band
b. Select QSO's that require Grid editing

Grid one.jpg
Grid one.jpg (126.88 KiB) Viewed 801 times

c. Select the 'Single field update' tab and in 'Field to update' select 'Gridsquare' then check the 'Clear field' check box followed by 'Update' this empties all the selected grid square fields.

Gris two.jpg
Gris two.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 801 times

d. in the 'Search tab' select all QSO's with an empty grid square either manually or by using a filter 'Gridsquare equal to' and leave the data field empty, that searches for all Grid fields where there is nothing in the field. Press the 'Select all' button at bottom.

Grid three.jpg
Grid three.jpg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 801 times

e. Now select 'Update info' on top tool bar of the QSO manager to update those selected

Grid four.jpg
Grid four.jpg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Now your left with just a couple to update manually.

I just did this for my logbook and it took 5 minutes, less time than it has taken me to write this post :D :D :D
73 Terry G4POP
EI2GLB
Old Man

Post by EI2GLB »

Thanks Terry that is why you are the person that helps the likes of me who doesn't know what he is doing :D

I did it roughly the same way as you only I had 1200 QSO's to first identify and then I did them one grid at a time,

Still Log4OM was easy to use and I got all my data back into shape, I was thinking I'd have to manually update each QSO so that was a relief,

I think when I switched from HRD to Log4OM I messed up the transfer as all the QSO's were from at least 10 years ago,

Thanks again Terry

Trevor
EI2GLB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Trevor,
Well ten years ago was just after Chuck and I severed all connections with HRD due to the attitude of one of the former owners who seemed determined to screw up all the good work Simon Brown and Peter Halpin, assisted by our team had put into HRD during the previous decade, at that time there were a lot of issues probably including the one you have just found.

Anyway your all sorted out now so go work some DX!

If you speak to Ger McNamara (EI4GXB) send him and his family my best regards.
73 Terry G4POP