CQ zone set incorrectly if QSO time/date is locked

V2 error reports
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

CQ zone set incorrectly if QSO time/date is locked

Post by KJ7EHA »

I am working on entering previous SOTA activations into Log4OM.
Preconditions: v2.2, my ref set to SOTA Summit I was on at the time (June 2019), I am in CQ zone 3, my QSO is in CQ zone 3.

In the QSO edit screen I lock the QSO start and end times to be the date/time of the QSO. I then enter the call sign of the QSO. It is shown as 5 not 3.

I reset the CQ zone to 3.

When I save the QSO it is reset back to 5.
Attachments
set-CQ-to-3-with-time-locked.jpg
set-CQ-to-3-with-time-locked.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
lock-time-wrong-CQ-zone.jpg
lock-time-wrong-CQ-zone.jpg (47.59 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
after-save-CQ-zone-is-set-to-5.jpg
after-save-CQ-zone-is-set-to-5.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CQ zone set incorrectly if QSO time/date is locked

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 18:49 I am working on entering previous SOTA activations into Log4OM.
Preconditions: v2.2, my ref set to SOTA Summit I was on at the time (June 2019), I am in CQ zone 3, my QSO is in CQ zone 3.
Your SOTA, Locator and zone information is not set in the working screen its set in the Program Configuration/station information and My References tab

Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (74.54 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
My Ref.JPG
My Ref.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 4569 times

In the QSO edit screen I lock the QSO start and end times to be the date/time of the QSO.

Correct when entering history QSO's manually

I then enter the call sign of the QSO. It is shown as 5 not 3.

This is not YOUR ZONE it is the zone of the person that you contacted

All of the information in the input/working screens are that of the other station that you worked, NOT your information
73 Terry G4POP
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

Post by KJ7EHA »

My QSO was on the west coast, a nearby FM contact. His information is coming up as CQ zone 5 when I enter in his call sign. I believe it should be CQ zone 3. I reported a very similar bug in previous release and it was fixed if you leave the date/time values unlocked. But if you lock them the bug still exists as in the previous release, it incorrectly sets it to zone 5.

I am re-setting the Program Configuration "My References" to the SOTA peak I am on, prior to making any of the data entries (as you show).
But I am not resetting my Grid Square every time in the "Station Information" is that necessary? Should I change my Grid Square locator every time to match the gridsquare of the SOTA peak I was on?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 02:20 My QSO was on the west coast, a nearby FM contact. His information is coming up as CQ zone 5 when I enter in his call sign. I believe it should be CQ zone 3. I reported a very similar bug in previous release and it was fixed if you leave the date/time values unlocked. But if you lock them the bug still exists as in the previous release, it incorrectly sets it to zone 5.
If your refering to the VE9 station you mentioned in the other thread its because you are entring his cal incorrectly, if a canadian opperates in the USA he must prefix his call K/VE9???

BuI am not resetting my Grid Square every time in the "Station Information" is that necessary? Should I change my Grid Square locator every time to match the gridsquare of the SOTA peak I was on?
I don't think SOTA require your grid reference but I would always change the grid reference also, but I am OCD on these matters
73 Terry G4POP
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

Post by KJ7EHA »

no this issue is not related to the other post. In the graphic above you can see it is just a K7xxx call sign.
Easy to reproduce. Just lock the date/time fields and enter a west coast call sign which is in CQ 3 and it will come up CQ 5.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

KJ7EHA wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 04:25 no this issue is not related to the other post. In the graphic above you can see it is just a K7xxx call sign.
Easy to reproduce. Just lock the date/time fields and enter a west coast call sign which is in CQ 3 and it will come up CQ 5.
Greg,

I was doing some testing this AM and I followed your comment above and each/every call sign I entered came up with CQ-3 and did not shift/change to a CQ-5.

I've tried with time padlocks locked/unlocked and could not repeat your concern.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 04:25 no this issue is not related to the other post. In the graphic above you can see it is just a K7xxx call sign.
Greg,
I just had time to take another look at this and I think I know what your issue is

Looking at your first post I noticed that you are using QRZ for your on line lookup but although some of the data is being completed the grid locator is empty.

So I checked your call on QRZ and notice that you are an unpaid subscriber or 'Ham member' which means that when you do an on line lookup from external software you dont get all of the data and particularly not the Grid square, to get full data you have to pay for an XML subscription at QRZ!

The zones are derived from the grid locator reference

So when there is no accurate grid square reference in the lookup field Log4OM selects the grid that represents the centre of the country denoted by the call sign prefix and uses that to derive the zones. The same process is applied to the edit window as well.

I suggest that you either take out a paid for xml subscription to QRZ or join the free HamQTH on line lookup which invariably provides an accurate grid lookup.

Neither did I have an issue changing the zones and saving the zone in the edit windows

Make sure that you update the country and other data files just in case you have a corrupt file

This is probably why you had the same issue with Version 1
73 Terry G4POP
KJ7EHA
Novice Class

Post by KJ7EHA »

Hi Terry,
Thank you so much for looking into the issue. Thanks for the tip about Hamqth being able to provide gridsquare information. I switched over to that per your recommendation.

I made the config change to Hamqth, reloaded the resource files per your recommendation and I am still seeing that if you lock the date/time field then the CQ zone is set to 5 for west coast call signs not 3.

Attaching a screen shot. This is via HamQTH and it is not a contact I had any previous QSO with.
Attachments
hamqh_still_cq_error.jpg
hamqh_still_cq_error.jpg (135.93 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

I've been following along on this thread and running tests through my setup as well and just cannot get the CQ Grid to change. I've also been trying with QRZ and HamQTH. I'm still digging as is Terry trying to come up with a solid fix.

BTW - when the padlock icons are red they are "unlocked". I was reading your comments about locked/unlocked and seemed when you noted 'locked' the padlock background was red.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KJ7EHA wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 03:28 Hi Terry,
Thank you so much for looking into the issue. Thanks for the tip about Hamqth being able to provide gridsquare information. I switched over to that per your recommendation.

I made the config change to Hamqth, reloaded the resource files per your recommendation and I am still seeing that if you lock the date/time field then the CQ zone is set to 5 for west coast call signs not 3.

Attaching a screen shot. This is via HamQTH and it is not a contact I had any previous QSO with.
I just checked the call KF7JVQ that you entered and HamQTH has used the default country 4 digit locator so the example is flawed

Please try W7DRM as a test
73 Terry G4POP