Cluster Aggregator

V2 error reports
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Cluster Aggregator

Post by KD0ZV »

Beyond getting everything setup my main focus with V2 since it was released has been the cluster and NEW ONES. I have been trying to run a two SSIDs with VE7CC.net as well as a localhost for CW Skimmer.

I am reasonably sure that the aggregator is not working as designed.

Figuring this out has been compounded by the fact that when you edit cluster information in known servers it does not reflect that info in the Active server box. As an example if I disconnect the cluster, add sh/mydx to a cluster server and restart that change will not be reflected in the active server box without removing it from the active server box and re-adding it.

What I have found is hit or miss results. I started off using three SSIDs on VE7CC.net. -1, -20 and -30. Any of them used independently would work fine but once you started using them together they may or may not work for a while but eventually I would not get the cluster data I was expecting.

I thought maybe VE7CC had a problem so I switched to using VE7CC for one set of filters and W7JD for another set. Same results.

I am a newbie when it comes to clusters and have just used a single SSID in the past. Yes, that is my disclaimer.

But my current setup does not seem to be aggregating properly. Another local ham is having the same results but is all fairness his was setup with my direction which might have been wrong :)

Anyone else running multiple clusters or multiple SSIDs with success or issues?

Rich
kd0zv
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Cluster Aggregator

Post by KI5IO »

kd0zv wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:59 Beyond getting everything setup my main focus with V2 since it was released has been the cluster and NEW ONES. I have been trying to run a two SSIDs with VE7CC.net as well as a localhost for CW Skimmer.

I am reasonably sure that the aggregator is not working as designed.

Figuring this out has been compounded by the fact that when you edit cluster information in known servers it does not reflect that info in the Active server box. As an example if I disconnect the cluster, add sh/mydx to a cluster server and restart that change will not be reflected in the active server box without removing it from the active server box and re-adding it.

What I have found is hit or miss results. I started off using three SSIDs on VE7CC.net. -1, -20 and -30. Any of them used independently would work fine but once you started using them together they may or may not work for a while but eventually I would not get the cluster data I was expecting.

I thought maybe VE7CC had a problem so I switched to using VE7CC for one set of filters and W7JD for another set. Same results.

I am a newbie when it comes to clusters and have just used a single SSID in the past. Yes, that is my disclaimer.

But my current setup does not seem to be aggregating properly. Another local ham is having the same results but is all fairness his was setup with my direction which might have been wrong :)

Anyone else running multiple clusters or multiple SSIDs with success or issues?

Rich
kd0zv
Rich ... I've run/tested multiple clusters via the V2 aggregator a month or two ago, but will revisit again today and see what I can experience/learn.

FWIW I do not have the additional local host CW Skimmer in my arrangement so I can't quite get apples to apples on that regard here.

You are correct in that when editing a cluster configuration it has to first be removed from the "active" box and once edited/saved will have to then be 're-added' to the active box. Almost as if there is a prime and clone copy of that cluster configuration and they don't talk to one another in that edit circumstance.

Thanks for your continued digging and testing and using of V2.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

I will continue to play with it but the issue with removing it and re-adding it after edits is a recent discovery and a lot of my testing over the last couple weeks might not be valid because of it.

I have lost all my filters in VE7CC a few times now and not sure why. I think it might have been related to logging into two clients (CC User and Log4OM at same time). I did not intentionally do that but was changing SSIDs in log4Om and since I did not realize the edits were not recognized by what is already in the active server box I probably was logging in via two clients with same SSID. Regardless the cluster must not like that as my filters were lost.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Just an update.

When running multiple clusters either using two SSIDs to one server or connecting to two servers the aggregated feed eventually starts messing up and not displaying all the spots.

I thought I had it resolved by running one server for skimmer spots and one for human spots but apparently not. Just noticed I was only getting skimmer spots so I fired up CC user with a SSID that is a copy of the SSID Log4OM uses and had spots coming in. Stopped the cluster on Log4OM and restarted and then had human spots again.
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Some thoughts.
Cluster are interconnected, so connecting to multiple cluster is useful if those clusters shows unique data. Connecting 3 times to the same cluster is a waste of resources for the cluster owner and should be avoided.

Log4OM will work aggregating spots. If 2 clusters reports the same spot, they're merged into one. The last received, per band and emission type. You will see only one.

Log4OM, based on data in the cluster (frequency and callsign basically) retrieves almost 20 different informations including possible award references. This operation has a "cost" in terms of system resources.
If you're connected to a skimmer the amount of spots will easily be more than the amount of spots Log4OM can manage so the spots will enter into a queue that potentially never complete.

More, 2 spots on the same call, same band and same emission type will not be shown. Only the most actual info is made available.

You can switch to traditional non aggregated cluster on cluster options in settings to make tests, but once again you will be overloaded by awards reference parsing. I'm about to make award parsing optional or automatically distorted disabled when a skimmer spot rate is detected. In any case loading more spots than the one you can read is probably a waste of your time.

I'll make another cross check at the routines
Thanks
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Daniele here is my reasoning. Keep in mind I am new with advanced cluster stuff so really do not know what I am doing :)

It works best for me and others if I have a filter set using about 12-15 states using human spots. Its nice to add a skimmer server but 12-15 states of skimmer stuff is too much and not overly accurate.

So I have another filter set for skimmers just 2 states (Iowa and Illinois). Both typically only have one skimmer each so not a ton of spots. So if I aggregate my normal human spots with the scaled down skimmer its about right.

I am not really getting a ton of data that way and its pretty reliable.

That said some of my research was not valid because I did not realize that if you edited a cluster server under known servers it would not update in active server list without removing it and re-adding it.

I just have had some weird stuff going on. I am not sure how but my filter set in VE7CC has been wiped out a few times. I know logging a server with two clients using the same SSID can do some strange thing but would not think it could remove filters.

Right now I am running two different servers instead of VE7CC.net with two SSIDs.

I did notice a couple days ago that one of those servers was having issues and it caused havoc with even the other server on Log4om.

Hope you are following. Cant say I understand it all myself!
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team