Bugs/differences ver 2.7 vs ver 1

V2 error reports
G4AON
Old Man

Bugs/differences ver 2.7 vs ver 1

Post by G4AON »

Comparing version 1.41 side by side with version 2.7.0.0, I note a few errors/bugs that have appeared in version 2.

If I may, here are my findings, in no particular order. I hope I explain the issues clearly:

1. Net Control and previous QSO lookup.
In version 1, Net Control puts your chosen name and QTH into the log. Outside of a net, previous QSO data populates the name field.
In version 2, Net Control data is ignored if QRZ.com is available and a lookup is done for each station, wasting data and resources at QRZ.com. Likewise typing a callsign into the log results in a QRZ.com lookup rather than pulling data from previous QSOs.

2. Omnirig
In version 1, with two radios powered, turning off the radio shown in the log, doesn't change the display to "Off Line", however it does mean I can switch to radio 2 and use it.
In version 2, turning off a radio while displaying the frequency results in "Off Line" displayed after a few seconds and it is not possible to switch to radio 2.

3. LOTW upload
In version 1, when attempting to upload to LOTW, you have a box pop up with the option to select other callsigns registered with LOTW.
In version 2, there is no box shown and the only indication is when you see the text as the QSO is being uploaded... If it's the wrong call you are a bit stuck. For example, I accidentally used my Spanish call and had to enter the QSO data into version 1 to upload with my UK call.

The above are minor issues that I hope can be resolved and should make version 2 better.

73 Dave
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Bugs/differences ver 2.7 vs ver 1

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Dave, V1 was constantly refined for 41 different versions.
I will check your report and verify if we can make it better.
About checking the "previously saved QSO" for operator name it's possible, but using external sources was more easy, now that 99% of users have always-on internet connections, to perform a lookup on external data providers.

About omnirig i'll check. It's a complex matter, as every radio answers in a different way when turned off, and omnirig not always provide the same answer facing the same situation with 2 different rigs. As example, on some rigs we're able to detect if the rig stop responding, and omnirig is "resilient" to disconnections. On other rigs omnirig stays stuck and didn't provide any info about radio disconnection. Finding the right path is complex and probably the way we choosed allow us to cover a larger set of situations (with some drawbacks, as you noted). I'll check if we can reproduce with our actual rigs.

About LOTW we can add more options. We made interfaces simpler, as we rely on the different user profiles for changes in LOTW (and other service) settings. That will not require using or remembering different parameters, but simply switch the user profile. Anyway this can be added

Thanks for your suggestions :)
Daniele, IW3HMH
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N6VH
Old Man

Re: Bugs/differences ver 2.7 vs ver 1

Post by N6VH »

IW3HMH wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 20:46
About LOTW we can add more options. We made interfaces simpler, as we rely on the different user profiles for changes in LOTW (and other service) settings. That will not require using or remembering different parameters, but simply switch the user profile. Anyway this can be added

Thanks for your suggestions :)
Daniele, IW3HMH
I think it would be very good to add a selection box for different calls, locations, etc, as it was in v1. It would probably also be good to do this for eQSL. It might also be a god idea to force us to make a selection, instead of having one already selected, unless there is only one choice. In the selection box, you might have something like <Please Select>. This would make it even less likely that we would upload to the wrong call, etc. IOW, protect us from ourselves. Sometimes we need that protection. :D

Jim N6VH