Shutdown error (also)

V2 error reports
VE2ESF
Novice Class

Shutdown error (also)

Post by VE2ESF »

Hello,

I‘m a new user of Log4OM and I love it, great software but I still have a lot to learn about it... It would seem that I have a shutdown problem with my Log4OM 2 software. As I close it, the Log4OM 2 window goes trough a series of processes successfully but freezes in the end with the display of 3 lines :

Scheduler closed ;
Saving from Status...
Shutting down Log4OM application

And then, the windows stays open indefinitely. If I try to open it again, a Windows 7 warning message pops up giving me the following message:
Application is already running. Starting more than one instance may create conflits if you have UDP ports opened in both. Continue ?

Thinking that upgrading from 2.6.1 to 2.7.0 would solve the problem, I've upgraded the software to no avail...

To give you a context of my situation, I'm a new Ham Radio operator so this is kind of new to me but I work hard to try to keep up...

PC is a Dell Inpiron 1520 with 2 Gb of RAM, Windows 7 32 bit Family version. I'm trying to setup WSJT-X, Omni-Rig, GridTracker and Log4OM 2 to work together. The rig is a Kenwood TS-590S linked to the computer by a UBS cable. To date, I have about 600 QSOs that I've made exclusively with WSJT-X and manually transferred them to QRZ, EqsL and LotW. I use the Dimension 4 software to keep the internal clock synchronized.

Could you offer some insights on what to do ? If you want a specific report or that I modify something, could you help me in describing how I can generate it with Log4OM ?

Thank you for your precious help.

Roger
VE2ESF
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Shutdown error (also)

Post by KI5IO »

VE2ESF wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 22:32 Hello,

I‘m a new user of Log4OM and I love it, great software but I still have a lot to learn about it... It would seem that I have a shutdown problem with my Log4OM 2 software. As I close it, the Log4OM 2 window goes trough a series of processes successfully but freezes in the end with the display of 3 lines :

Scheduler closed ;
Saving from Status...
Shutting down Log4OM application

And then, the windows stays open indefinitely. If I try to open it again, a Windows 7 warning message pops up giving me the following message:
Application is already running. Starting more than one instance may create conflits if you have UDP ports opened in both. Continue ?

Thinking that upgrading from 2.6.1 to 2.7.0 would solve the problem, I've upgraded the software to no avail...

To give you a context of my situation, I'm a new Ham Radio operator so this is kind of new to me but I work hard to try to keep up...

PC is a Dell Inpiron 1520 with 2 Gb of RAM, Windows 7 32 bit Family version. I'm trying to setup WSJT-X, Omni-Rig, GridTracker and Log4OM 2 to work together. The rig is a Kenwood TS-590S linked to the computer by a UBS cable. To date, I have about 600 QSOs that I've made exclusively with WSJT-X and manually transferred them to QRZ, EqsL and LotW. I use the Dimension 4 software to keep the internal clock synchronized.

Could you offer some insights on what to do ? If you want a specific report or that I modify something, could you help me in describing how I can generate it with Log4OM ?

Thank you for your precious help.

Roger
VE2ESF
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Roger,

Have you been running OmniRig, WSJTx and Log4OM V2 with "administrator" level priviledges? That is required if running both those APPs (and possibly JTAlert as well). That level of operation is needed for OmniRig to be utilized in the multi-threading fashion when multiple APPs access and communicate through OmniRig.

You can see that advisory warning on Page 12 of the current User Guide dated: 10/06/2020 1:10PM You can download the most current UG at: Help / User Guide / English (force update) ... the UG will download and open in your preferred PDF viewer.

Give that (administrator level priviledges) a go and see if that will help out.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
VE2ESF
Novice Class

Post by VE2ESF »

Hello Nolan,

OK, understood and I proceeded to modify the properties of each program to give them Administrative privileges. I’ll check-out if everything is going now more smoothly or not in the next few days and give a final report on the subject.

I’ve read also that there seems to be a startup sequence that must be respected... Can you confirm if this a necessity ?

Typically, I load these programs in the following order:
1- Dimension 4 (Time synchronization) ;
2- Omni-rig ;
3- Log4OM 2 ;
4 - WSJT-X (version 2.2.0) ;
5 - GridTracker.

I’ve also downloaded JT-Alert but, at the moment am unsure if it will be needed. I imagine that if started it would be in position 6, correct ?

Is this OK ?

Thanks again for your help.

Roger
VE2ESF
Last edited by VE2ESF on 12 Jun 2020, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Roger,

the order of the program starts are o.k. so far but you not need them all running with administrative rights.
In your case this is only needed for Omnirig, Log4OM and WSJT-X. Gridtracker, JTalert and D4 are not connected
to Omnirig.

By the way, you can use Gridtracker and JTalert if you wont but only one of these should be setted up to log
to Log4OM or you will have a lot of double entries. In my case i only use JTalert for the stats like worked b4
and others and i don´t run Gridtracker. If you don´t need stats like JTalert has included there will be no need
to run it.

;) ;)

By the way again, i have a Dell Optiplex 7010 and the internal clock of it is very accurate. I only use the W10
possibility to sync time via www once or twice a day, that´s enough for a whole day of FT8/FT4 work. Have
used D4 also with my older PC so the clock of this was very inaccurate.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
N0ORQ
Novice Class

Getting Log4om to close

Post by N0ORQ »

Hi Roger,

I had the same problem you are experiencing. It turned out it was a problem with my LOTW files not uploading when I close the program it was hanging up for some reason.

There is a lot of information in this forum. I discovered that I did not have some settings correct on the LOTW settings for upload. Are you also having a problem getting LOTW files to upload when your program closes?

If so, start up Log4om and then open program configuration. Go down to user configuration and find the line that says external services, click on that. Go up to the LOTW button and click on that. See the pink box on the right it says they should match with the default LOTW sent status set in confirmations tab or a new QSO will not be uploaded automatically?

This is incorrect on my computer. Go to the left again and click on the confirmations when that opens up go up the click type and put LOTW in the box. If your program is like mine, sent will say requested. No matter what I do no matter how many times I save the configuration to NO LOTW always says requested.

I discovered that when the external services pink box says requested for LOTW like the pink box says it should, that is when my computer will not close or upload my LOTW files.

Try setting the external services flag in the pink box to NO and then try closing Log4om.

When I do this then my Log4om closes and any LOTW files are uploaded.

Let me know if this helps.

N0ORQ Joe 73
VE2ESF
Novice Class

Post by VE2ESF »

Thank you for the help !

Roger
VE2ESF
DJ6PC
New user

Post by DJ6PC »

Hello Joe,

indeed, funny enough, it works as you say. Thanks very much!

73 Alfred DJ6PC
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

I'm sure (at least I'm hoping) that y'all have also viewed Terry's two YouTube videos about "Confirmations" and those external services.

Link here is for the library of V2 YouTube videos that Terry as done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Ppcj ... yavI-azOug
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX