Edit QSO - County field

V2 error reports
ka4hot
Novice Class

Edit QSO - County field

Post by ka4hot »

In the Edit QSO - County field the data being returned seems to be State,County // County, ex: VT,ADDISON // Addison. There's a County Field and a State field right below it. Why isn't the County field simply truncated to only report the County?
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Edit QSO - County field

Post by DF5WW »

You may ask adif.org about that. They say State and County for the County field. That will be used
for the counties award and some county names are also used in other states. That´s why they say
County and State in the county field.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
NS8K
Advanced Class

Re: Edit QSO - County field

Post by NS8K »

Juergen / Roy,

I've read the adif spec and Juergen is correct, the format for County is State,County. In my log however, all of my county entries are just the county name in mixed case. Only when the QSO is confirmed via LoTW does the county change to the format that Roy shows. For example if I worked someone in Addison County, Vermont the log entry for county would be Addison. After receiving LoTW confirmation it would read VT,ADDISON // Addison.

I believe the // denotes a comment from LoTW and this came about in a LoTW change more than a year ago. Maybe 2 years. They did a similar thing with the State at that time too as I recall. The State issue was fixed back in V1 to remove the // and comment that followed it but maybe the county field was overlooked. It has been this way for a long time now.

In my case, I run an QSL statement on occasion to remove the // Comment from my county fields. It looks nicer, makes me feel better.

Roy - are all of your county entries like you described in your original post or do they become that way after a LoTW confirmation? In your OP you mention editing the QSO records. Mine do not change to that format from doing a QSO edit. I use qrz.com for look-ups.

EDIT - I did a little searching to better support my claim of "more than a year ago. Maybe 2 years" and found the original post. It was in December of 2017
https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3201
The topic is very long and the issue of the county filed was brought up and acknowledged. The state field was fixed but perhaps the issue with county fell in a crack somewhere and is still stuck there.
73 - Tom NS8K