MAP ERROR

V2 error reports
VK7XX
Old Man

MAP ERROR

Post by VK7XX »

My apologies if this is being posted in the wrong area, to me, it seems like an error, but there may be a simple explanation. Firstly, I am using version 2.6.1.0 because I cannot use 2.8.0.0 as it randomly locks up (previously reported and the team are looking in to it) and there is a possibility that this "error" may not occur in version 2.8.0.0.

The map error I am reporting here occurrs when I enter AH2EJ in to the log, the left hand map shows USA and the right hand map shows Guam and, as I am typing this I also just noticed that the Country box shows USA instead of Guam. According to the info on QRZ, AH2EJ is in Guam, but his mail address is in USA... Is this the cause of this "error" ???? and if it is, this needs correcting so that the correct country is logged.

regards
John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: MAP ERROR

Post by G4POP »

Hi John, hope your well and keeping safe?

I have investigated this and the problem appears to be caused by QRZ providing conflicting data!

The right hand map ALWAYS uses the grid locator which as you say provides the correct map possition but the QRZ information about the call sign location is at variance because is shows an incorrect state identifier (AP) and the country as USA with a DXCC reference of 291 which is the USA - So we fill the fields in accordance with the QRZ data.

When you enter the call the left hand map initially draws the connector to Guam because its using the grid reference from the prefix but then that is immediately overridden when the QRZ Country, state and DXCC number is provided by QRZ, so it redraws to the centre of the USA.

Oddly changing the lookup source to HamQTH is even worse because although they have the country correct as GUAM the grid locator is completely incorrect so the maps are totally wrong.

So really this is one that you need to change manually because I cant see how we can legislate for conflicting data from the on line data source. Just change the country in the drop down to Guam and the DXCC and zones will be corrected, as will the left hand map.

For your reference this is the data returned by the xml lookup

QRZDatabase xmlns="http://xmldata.qrz.com" version="1.33">
<Callsign>
<call>AH2EJ</call>
<aliases>KN4IAS</aliases>
<dxcc>291</dxcc>
<fname>Shane D</fname>
<name>Callaghan</name>
<addr1>PSC 488 Box 213</addr1>
<addr2>FPO</addr2>
<state>AP</state>
<zip>96537</zip>
<country>United States</country>
<lat>13.535726</lat>
<lon>144.890214</lon>
<grid>QK23km</grid>
<ccode>271</ccode>
<land>United States</land>
<efdate>2020-05-12</efdate>
<expdate>2027-11-28</expdate>
<class>E</class>
<codes>HAI</codes>
<email>KN4IAS@CALLSAN.COM</email>
<u_views>1700</u_views>
<bio>6025</bio>
<biodate>2020-03-14 08:39:41</biodate>
<image>https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/ ... jpg</image>
<imageinfo>192:380:20454</imageinfo>
<moddate>2020-07-13 20:50:12</moddate>
<MSA>0000</MSA>
<AreaCode>000</AreaCode>
<TimeZone>None</TimeZone>
<GMTOffset>0</GMTOffset>
<DST>N</DST>
<mqsl>1</mqsl>
<born>1986</born>
<user>AH2EJ</user>
<geoloc>user</geoloc>
</Callsign>
<Session>
<Key></Key>
<Count>89947</Count>
<SubExp>Fri Feb 4 00:00:00 2022</SubExp>
<GMTime>Sat Sep 5 22:33:29 2020</GMTime>
<Remark>cpu: 0.023s</Remark>
</Session>
</QRZDatabase>
73 Terry G4POP
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: MAP ERROR

Post by VK7XX »

G4POP wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 22:53 Hi John, hope your well and keeping safe?

I have investigated this and the problem appears to be caused by QRZ providing conflicting data!

<some text removed for brevity>
</QRZDatabase>
Hello Terry.. As safe as is possible.... I hope you are as well.

Thanks for looking in to this.. I didnt think it would be an easy thing to fix, so manually it is .... and thanks for all the info you provided.

cheers, stay safe
John