V2.11.0.0 double-click on Cluster (F8) not working

V2 error reports
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: V2.11.0.0 double-click on Cluster (F8) not working

Post by KI5IO »

dk2lo wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 19:20 Nolan,

thanks for reply. I use a K3s with the USB-connection for digital modes and the serial port for CAT.
I tried already different CAT connections. Direct via RS232 port at my desktop and via USB to serial converter.

The problem only occurs in the "F8 window" and when mode is not changed. E. g. changing LSB on 40m to USB on 20m is working, but changing from CW to CW or from USB to USB does not work. No such problems in bandmap or cluster view.

So the question is, what is different in "F8 window" for my K3s configuration?
Olaf,

So you are using two cables from your PC to the K3S? One is via a USB cable from PC to the USB input port on the KIO3B and then you are also running an RS232 cable from your PC to the RS232/P3 input port on the KIO3B?

Both of those cables/ports are running the very same data into the K3S as they are copies of each other.

I've been digging into the Fred Cady book: The Elecraft K3S and P3.

One item Fred mentions is to be sure you match the baud rate in the PC setup to match what you have set up in the K3S at: CONFIG:RS232.

In light of your connections ... have you tried just the USB cable from your PC to the K3S?

Or as Terry has noted there might be some strange toggle that is causing "Murphy" to putz with things and that a fresh/clean installation might flush it out. Or course ... making sure you have backups.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Nolan,

yes I also suspected my P3. Currently I use the E980297 cable and the Serial line is routed through the P3 as described on page 19 of the K3s owners manual. I do not own the CBLP3Y cable as described on page 18. Therefore I cannot set CONFIG:RS232 to USB with my cable. This would disconnect the communication K3s - P3.
All baud rates are on 38400.

I tried the following:
1. Switch off the P3
2. Remove the P3, just direct serial connection to the K3s without P3 in between
3. Again update of the K3s firmware

Unfortunately no changes.

The question is: what is the difference between "F8-cluster" and the cluster view? They look the same but only cluster view works fine for me.
73 Olaf DK2LO
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Nolan,

yes I use for communication two cables to the K3s:

1. USB-cable from the K3s USB-port to the PC - only to use the internal soundcard (KIO3B) for digital modes. Shows up as "USB Audio CODEC" in device manager (audio)

2. Serial cable from the RS232/P3 port of the K3s via the P3 to the PC serial port for CAT usage. The cable between K3s and P3 is the E980297. From the P3 PC-port the serial cable goes to the PC. CONFIG:RS232 38400 is used, not USB. Uses serial port on PC - COM port in device Manager.
73 Olaf DK2LO
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

dk2lo wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 12:24 Nolan,

yes I use for communication two cables to the K3s:

1. USB-cable from the K3s USB-port to the PC - only to use the internal soundcard (KIO3B) for digital modes. Shows up as "USB Audio CODEC" in device manager (audio)

2. Serial cable from the RS232/P3 port of the K3s via the P3 to the PC serial port for CAT usage. The cable between K3s and P3 is the E980297. From the P3 PC-port the serial cable goes to the PC. CONFIG:RS232 38400 is used, not USB. Uses serial port on PC - COM port in device Manager.
Olaf,

FWIW ... I only use the USB link between my K3 (KIO3B) and laptop. I upgraded to the KIO3B board for the internal sound card usage when I work FT8. I don't use an additional serial connection between my laptop and K3, but again, that is for the way I operate.

I know I'm searching for straws in a haystack here, but could you try just the USB link between your PC and K3S to see if that makes any difference?

Again, however, I'll fall back to Terry's comment that a fresh installation may also flush out some weird code in one of the support files somewhere.

It certainly doesn't make sense for such a change between the F8 tab and Bandmap 'double-clicks' and could be some weird anomaly in Log4OM V2, but trying to replicate it on our part to trouble-shoot has come up empty so far.

Tnx for your help and patience.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Nolan,

I am always shy to "destroy" my running DX-machine environment though the chance for a new DXCC bandpoint is currently pretty low.

I tried something else. I have a second rig which worked perfect with LOG4OM V1 as rig2. This is a mcHF which I have build from a kit from M0NKA. This great little QRP-machine has as the K3s a soundcard included and all connection CAT and USB-Codec runs via one USB-cable to a different USB-port than the K3s. Also a small panadapter is included. I connected this rig as rig2 to LOG4OM V2 with the same Omnirg file which I used already with LOG4OM V1. The connection works immediately but I get the same results as with the K3s. Cluster bad, bandmap works, only the Cluster view is worse, I need here several tries - perhaps because the mcHF uses only 9600 Baud, it emulates a FT-817. Switching back with this rig to LOG4OM V1 works as before without any misbehaviour.

Probably Terry is right. I think it must be something with the new LOG4OM Version in my environment. Is it possible to just install it again over the current installation? I already put some time to get a similar look and feel as before and do not want to loose all my configuration work.
73 Olaf DK2LO
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Olay,
Installing over existing will not remove the user files I refer to!

You could rename the c:/........./ appdata/roaming/log4om folder and then do a new install to revert to a default set of files for testing!
73 Terry G4POP
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

This morning I made a totally new installation incl. Omnirig. Before I renamed the appdata/roaming/log4om folder as adviced to start with the default config files.

Unfortunately exactly the same misbehaviour as described. I give up now. Perhaps a new release will solve this mystery.

Nolan and Terry, thank you for all suggestions and help!
73 Olaf DK2LO
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Now on V2.14.1.0 and double-click in Cluster is working now as it should.

Thanks a lot!
73 Olaf DK2LO