Log4OM Becomes Unresponsive, Very Slow

V2 error reports
NW7US
Novice Class

Log4OM Becomes Unresponsive, Very Slow

Post by NW7US »

Greetings.

Since I installed the latest version of Log4OM, it has become intermittently sluggish to unresponsive. The image below was captured after I was able to finally get Log4OM to close down. What you see in the image is staying on my screen for a very long time. It is still there.... so I will have to kill a process or restart my computer.

Can you direct me to a resolution? Thank you.
73 de NW7US
+ DXCC: 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, Mixed, Digital, CW, SSB
+ WAZ, WPX, etc.
+ SKCC:4758s / FISTS:7055 / LICW:653
+ NW7US on YouTube
+ Space weather and radio propagation editor for
  • CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and,
  • The Spectrum Monitor magazine.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4OM Becomes Unresponsive, Very Slow

Post by KI5IO »

Tomas,

What other APPs did you have running? Did you set up auto uploads to LOTW, Clublog and similar? Did you also have clusters and/or RBNs connected at the time?

Such situations have occurred in the past and a search will bring up some threads about similar.

When I get back to my regular PC I'll do a search and get the URLs for you.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Tomas,

Here are a couple URLs. There are quite a few. One thing you can also do is to look at the logfile to see if there are any clues there as to what is hanging up when Log4OM is trying to shut down.

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php? ... ngs#p26968

https://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php? ... ose#p31457
Plano, TX
NW7US
Novice Class

Post by NW7US »

The unresponsiveness / sluggishness occurs not at shutdown, but during operation. The screen grab is what I see when I try to close the program, ONCE it has become unresponsive or VERY sluggish (like, I click on something and three minutes later it does that one thing -- like a menu click).

I'll begin looking at the log (I will have to find that.. I assume that is a program debugging log).

I have restarted my computer and it has acted the same.

Thanks
73 de NW7US
+ WAZ, WPX, etc.
+ NW7US on YouTube
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

NW7US wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 00:33 The unresponsiveness / sluggishness occurs not at shutdown, but during operation. The screen grab is what I see when I try to close the program, ONCE it has become unresponsive or VERY sluggish (like, I click on something and three minutes later it does that one thing -- like a menu click).

I'll begin looking at the log (I will have to find that.. I assume that is a program debugging log).

I have restarted my computer and it has acted the same.

Thanks
Tomas,

You can go to: Help / Open Log File to see what is happening at the given time.

The default log level is "info" and you can change that at: Help / Log Level Those other log levels will obviously provide more granular data.

Upon restart Log4OM V2 will default back to the "info" level unless you happen to make a change in log level at: Settings / Program Configuration / Program Settings / Default Log Level.

Keep in mind that log levels other than info can also tend to slow down Log4OM so is only recommended for trouble-shooting.

Due to the fact that you are experiencing slow-downs during operation Daniele put in some additional trouble-shooting items that the OM can turn on/off to see what the response is.

Go to: Settings / Program Configuration / Performances and you can test the various elements and see how things respond when you tap the Performance Check button. You can also dis-able items and see what the response may be.

FWIW I've noted that cluster activity can have an impact on things as well. I know that the Wednesday CWTs tend to keep things busy and the cluster activity on my "aging" Dell D830 certainly pushes that processor along.
Plano, TX
NW7US
Novice Class

Post by NW7US »

KI5IO wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 01:08 You can go to: Help / Open Log File to see what is happening at the given time.
... (snip) ...
Go to: Settings / Program Configuration / Performances and you can test the various elements and see how things respond when you tap the Performance Check button. You can also dis-able items and see what the response may be.
... (snip) ...
FWIW I've noted that cluster activity can have an impact on things as well. I know that the Wednesday CWTs tend to keep things busy and the cluster activity on my "aging" Dell D830 certainly pushes that processor along.
Well, good news, so far...

There are no unresponsive periods. I've played with the spotting to throttle that back.

Everything now is working very well. I'm VERY happy, overall.

There are some feature changes/additions that I will post about, in another forum message elsewhere.

Thank you VERY much for your kind help.

I'm a software engineer (since 1980s). This program is put together very professionally, at least from what I see as an end-user.

I use Logger4OM2 for SSB, CW, and digital - so far only WSJT-X integration with JTAlert. I am going to work next on getting FLdigi tied in. Wish me luck!

73 de NW7US
+ WAZ, WPX, etc.
+ NW7US on YouTube
VK3AWG
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AWG »

I have also found that version 2.12 becomes slow and unresponsive. To the point that the computer locks up and I am unable to shut programs down let alone get a log file from Log4om. I have rolled back to version 2.11 and everything seems fine. I will continue to monitor it and see how we go.
VK3AWG
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AWG »

After some more investigation I have found that v 2.11 seems to do the same thing. Now I managed to open Task Manager and saw that Log4om was using 99% of the CPU. After speaking to a fellow ham who also uses Lo4om the question was raised "is Log4om v 2 made for windows 10?". I am running an older pc with Win 7. As I am typing this Log4om is hanging on shutdown. I hope we can resolve the issue because I really like Log4om.