CAT error on SPE Expert amp

V2 error reports
K2GRG
Novice Class

CAT error on SPE Expert amp

Post by K2GRG »

My SPE Expert 1.5K-FA amp displays a "CAT error" message frequently when using Log4OM. It can occur at any time, but often occurs when switching between bands.

The factory says this error is due to a polling interval problem, with a longer polling interval tripping an error in the amp firmware. They said that some users with WSJT-X have this error, and they are looking at a firmware update to deal with it. They have sent me beta firmware they hope to deal with the WSJT-X problem to try and help, which I installed. That, itself, didn't fix the problem.

To diagnose this, I tried using HRD for rig control. I started off by getting the same error, but I increased the polling interval on HRD to 100 msec, and HRD no longer creates polling errors. ( HRD also works at a 200 msec polling, but errors appear at the 300 msec setting) With the new firmware and with the lower polling interval, I no longer receive CAT error on HRD.

To try use Log4OM, I have lowered the polling interval on OmniRig to 100 msec. The problem still continues. I tried adding a CAT delay in Log4OM of 250 ms just to see what would happen, and it seemed to help a bit.

Rig is a Yaesu FT-950 at 36400 baud. The PC connects to the rig, the rig has a CAT splitter, and the amp gets CAT data at the split.

Log4OM version 2.18.00, OmniRig 1.20, Windows 10

Thanks for any assistance.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CAT error on SPE Expert amp

Post by G4POP »

Probably due to the splitter trying to share the comms
73 Terry G4POP
K2GRG
Novice Class

Post by K2GRG »

Thank you for your post.

The splitter is from the manufacturer and is how the amp is supposed to get CAT data.

It is configured properly according to their instructions and inspection so as to only monitor the CAT data and not send anything.
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

Greg,

I do not have an SPE amp, but figured I would see if I could come up with some additional "food for thought" related to CAT issues experienced with the SPE Expert Amp.

I happened across the link below. I have no clue if there might be a piece of information that might be helpful. At the very least it is additional data.

https://ke9ns.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=129
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
K2GRG
Novice Class

Post by K2GRG »

Thanks, Nolan.

My guess is that the latest firmware on the amp is finicky in terms of delayed commands.

I've installed Log4OM on a faster PC (an i7) and it seems to do a bit better, but still has CAT errors, where HRD does not.

When the program is "thinking," such as when it's doing a lookup of a call I just clicked on, the mouse pointer has switched to the blue "I'm thinking" circle, and the CAT is switching bands, it appears that the software delay is causing the CAT error.