SDR Control by DL8MRE logbook via UDP to Log4OM help

General discussions V2
NJ0F
Novice Class

SDR Control by DL8MRE logbook via UDP to Log4OM help

Post by NJ0F »

I just installed SDR-Control by DL8MRE and I am trying to send live logbook data to my Log4OM logbook via UDP from this program. I was wondering if there is someone on this forum who has done this before and willing to share how to do this. Several hours of trying various settings proved to be unsuccessful.
Very little info or instructions on the SDR-Control software how to do this.
Andre
NJ0F
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SDR Control by DL8MRE logbook via UDP to Log4OM help

Post by DF5WW »

Hello Andre,

i don´t have an Icom transceiver which can handle this APP but the manual says that it´s possible to
forward to N1MM and/or Log4OM:
If you are using another Logging Program simultaneously which supports UDP log broadcast such as N1MM or Log4OM, you can enable UDP Broadcast submission.

If enabled, whenever you are adding a new Log entry, this log entry will be submitted simultaneously to the other Logging program. In addition, there is a “UDP Broadcast” button on the Log detail screen which can be used to submit any older or amended log entry as well.

For UDP Log transmission, you need to enter the IP Address of the PC/Mac where your other Logging program is running and the required UDP Port. If the program is running on the same Mac, just enter 127.0.0.1 as IP Address.

Unfortunately, there are different standards for submitting log entries via UDP. This App supports two different standards:

1.) For N1MM or Log4OM format

This standard is understood by N1MM or Log4OM and others, mainly PC based logging programs.

2.) WSJT-X format

This standard is used by WSJT-X. Every logging software that can receive WSJT-X UDP logging information can be used.

The ports that need to be used for each standard depends on the Logging program. Some will let you enter an individual port number, some have a fixed port number. In any case, the port number used by the logging software needs to be identical to the port entered here.

When clicking the Test button, a sample log entry will be submitted so you can verify if the log entry will be received in your logging program.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
NJ0F
Novice Class

Post by NJ0F »

Hi Juergen,
Thanks a bunch for your response. This is a good start for me and I will start playing around to see if I can get this up and running.
Best 73
Andre
NJ0F
kd6qfo
Novice Class

Post by kd6qfo »

Did this ever get resolved? I am trying to do the same thing. I am new to LOG4OM2, only had it installed a day. Guilty of not fully reading the manual. I am moving away from HRDlogbook as its limited on inbound and outbound confections, hardcoded not to allow it per the company owner.

My primary two three goals are to replace HRD, Create a master logbook (LOG4OM2) that can accept QSO broadcasts form other apps on the same machine and most importantly, from other computers on the same subnet.

I tried adding two UDP ports on LOG4OM2 Incoming. One is using port 12060, the other 2333. Service type, NM Message and JT_Message. I send a test from the "Test Button" in SDR Control and I dont see anything received. I turned the firewall off on the LOG4OM2 Windows 11 system.

I have not imported my ADIF log from HRDlog yet, I really wanted to confirm I can get log data from the three systems I have running SDR COntrol for Icom.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Firstly I have no knowledge of the SDR control program referred to as its an IOS program but apparently the author says it sends QSO's to Log4OM perhaps he can help you?

However I question if you have created a database in Log4OM as without one no incoming data can be saved?
73 Terry G4POP
kd6qfo
Novice Class

Post by kd6qfo »

Thanks. Clarification and update. First off, I am now logging QSO's via a UDP broadcast from another system using SDR Control for iPad does indeed work. See below:

I have created a database and imported my qso log from HRD.

SDR Control for Icom is both iOS and MacOS. Very capable, with built in logging, FT8 Client, awesome radio control. Yes, it has capability to send a UDP broadcast to whatever host IP and Port you choose. It has two formats of data it can sent, N1MM/Log4OM or WSJT-X.

My main issue preventing receive was the need to turn on the ability to receive QSO’s in Log4om. I had the UDP Incoming setup. Its a two step process, setup your UDP Communications and then turn on the ability to receive QSO's from another app.
  • Software Intergration | Connections
  • Software Intergration | WSJT-X/JTDX
I first tried the Log4om format from the SDR Control app (Seems logical) on port 12060. but It failed to show anything received. I then changed the port to 12080 on both ends and it failed again.

Next, I tried the WSJT-X format from the SDR Control app on port 2333 both ends and it works. I also tested port 2237, it works too.

So, I have a solution to getting the data in from my two macs and one iPad which allows so much flexibility. It is however puzzling that the N1MM/Log4om format from the SDR Control app does not work. I have reached out to the developer of SDR Control for Icom. Marcus will probably provide an answer.

I hope this helps anyone else with SDR Control for Icom.
kd6qfo
Novice Class

Post by kd6qfo »

Updated reply after much testing.
I am not successfully broadcasting QSO info from SDR Control on a MAC and iPad to LOG4OM2 on a Windows system.

The Software Integration | WSJT-X/JTDX setting was not needed. I just had to specify the ADIF message options on the listening connection in LOG4OM2, (not the N1MM/LOG4OM message which seemed to be the best choice originally). I specified the IP address of the remote system, select a port. I then have a a listening connection in LOG4OM2 on the same port.

It was the message type preventing the broadcast from SDR Control being received.