Painfully slow to look up Call-Sign

General discussions V2
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Painfully slow to look up Call-Sign

Post by G4POP »

OK next question is your PC left running all the time or is it regularly re-booted?
73 Terry G4POP
vk2ex
Novice Class

Post by vk2ex »

Chrome is on the PC but I use Firefox for browsing. I don't tend to leave the PC on all the time but have noticed that it seems to play up if I haven't entered anything into the log for a while.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

vk2ex wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 08:05 Chrome is on the PC but I use Firefox for browsing. I don't tend to leave the PC on all the time but have noticed that it seems to play up if I haven't entered anything into the log for a while.
I asked about Chrome because I have had bitter experience with it because it always runs in the background even if you dont open the browser and is a resources hog. Many users have had to uninstall Chrome and use Edge or Firefox instead
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

To users with the issue:
Please try this:

perform a lookup with QRZ.COM as usual. If it's slow, enter settings, switch to hamqth provider (it's free) and try performing some more check calls.
That issue is puzzling me as nothing was changed and can be changed on a PC when the application is installed between different runs.
I've read that the problem disappears when you switch off QRZ, so switching to HAMQTH may help me identify if the problem is on QRZ or somewhere in the internal routines
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
vk2ex
Novice Class

Post by vk2ex »

I switched to HAMQTH and seems to work fine, but at the time of testing it was working ok with QRZ, I have also uninstalled Chrome, (I don't use it anyway) and I will monitor performance. This problem is so intermittent it is hard to track down the culprit.
vk2ex
Novice Class

Post by vk2ex »

This is what I have done and I have not had a problem in the last few days, (hope i didn't speak too soon).
I have HAMQTH as my failsafe source and QRZ.com as Primary source.

Also after a bit of googling and youtube I checked my windows shutdown and found when it shutdown it only put the system in sleep mode, this keeps the Kernal in the same state, I checked into this because I was asked if I shutdown every day, so technically no, only sleep. I reset the shutdown sequence in (Windows power options) to fully shutdown on a shutdown command which makes it a little slower to start up, maybe 25 seconds now instead of 15 (Whoopdi Do), since then all seems to be ok.
Will update if this changes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and guidance.

DE Paul VK2EX :D :D :D
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Is it still OK?
73 Terry G4POP
vk2ex
Novice Class

Post by vk2ex »

Appears to be ok, the only thing I can say, if I have the VPN activated after doing some banking or other sensitive activity, I have noticed the system will not update, but the web browser QRZ.com still functions normaly. The VPN only seems to effect the Log4OM program, and the delay is consistent with QRZ disabled and HAMQTH enabled (thought I should check this).
Is there a reason that the VPN should effect the program this way. I use NordVPN on the system and I would like to leave the VPN running. :?

Cheers Paul VK2EX
w7nee
Novice Class

Post by w7nee »

Just un UPDATE.... I have been using QRZCQ for my lookup. I went back too QRZ and the problem is still there . It is a 3-4 minute lookup time.
vk2ex
Novice Class

Post by vk2ex »

This problem still exists even with QRZCQ HAMQTH or whatever I try to use, I have noticed that after the program has been up for some time it appears. I had left the PC on over night and rebooted it when I noticed the peskie problem again, it all started working, after a hour or more of listening and talking the problem again raised it's self.
Reboot and all ok for a while.
What should I do next. :cry: