VP8PJ - S. Orkney Island

General discussions V2
N9BBE
Advanced Class

VP8PJ - S. Orkney Island

Post by N9BBE »

FYI for everyone trying to work the VP8PJ operation that started yesterday. The grid square on Hamqth.com is incorrect as it is a Falkland Island grid square. The grid square on QRZ is correct so some may get the location resolved OK and some of us won't. Happy hunting....

Jeff - N9BBE
N9BBE
Advanced Class

Re: VP8PJ - S. Orkney Island

Post by N9BBE »

Also I sent an email off to ask someone to update hamqth.com. Not sure that will happen but figured doesn't hurt to ask. I emailed the address on QRZ.

Jeff - N9BBE
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

I was not aware the grid square was the cause of the cluster reporting it as Falkland?
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

N9BBE wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 21:12 Also I sent an email off to ask someone to update hamqth.com. Not sure that will happen but figured doesn't hurt to ask. I emailed the address on QRZ.

Jeff - N9BBE
Jeff,

It could be up to the OM to keep the data current with the Info Providers like HamQTH and QRZ. Hopefully you sent the message to the OM.

Best of luck.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
KB8O
Novice Class

Post by KB8O »

I use qrz for look up, once I look him up he shows up correctly, and when I log him he is correct, but in the scrolling cluster I show Falkland Is, is there a file or a area to edit a unique call sign or some easy way to fix this manually till they are done on the island???
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

kd0zv wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 21:36 I was not aware the grid square was the cause of the cluster reporting it as Falkland?
It is not the reason

The cluster derives the country from the prefix only not the whole callsign and compares to the country file, that's why it just says Falkland isles

When the callsign is entered in the callsign field all resourses are checked to define the actual country or island
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry already explained how the DX Cluster determines the country lookup, where it is derived from the call’s prefix.

I am noticing something in V2, that I never saw in V1.

This afternoon I saw 3 stations listed as being in Guantanamo Bay (CUBA). Coincidentally, there are hundreds of “KG4’s” listed through the southern US, none of which are in Guantanamo Bay – which by the way is a US military base. For the record, when I select, the “INFO” tab it correctly shows KG4IUF as being in Covington, VA – but on the cluster he’s in “Gitmo”

The US has many US possessions, all of which have prefixes that are very similar to stateside calls. Why didn’t we see this problem in V1, and how can we fix it? I've never used the ALERT feature, but if I had Guantanamo Bay set to send an alert, isn't it also using the DX Cluster data? So we'd be getting lots of false alarms?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 17:49 Terry already explained how the DX Cluster determines the country lookup, where it is derived from the call’s prefix.

I am noticing something in V2, that I never saw in V1.

This afternoon I saw 3 stations listed as being in Guantanamo Bay (CUBA). Coincidentally, there are hundreds of “KG4’s” listed through the southern US, none of which are in Guantanamo Bay – which by the way is a US military base. For the record, when I select, the “INFO” tab it correctly shows KG4IUF as being in Covington, VA – but on the cluster he’s in “Gitmo”

The US has many US possessions, all of which have prefixes that are very similar to stateside calls. Why didn’t we see this problem in V1, and how can we fix it? I've never used the ALERT feature, but if I had Guantanamo Bay set to send an alert, isn't it also using the DX Cluster data? So we'd be getting lots of false alarms?
You will find the next release reacts differently because now instead of just checking cluster spots against the country file we are now also checking against the CTY and Clublog exceptions file.

This causes a bit of a delay on initially starting the cluster but once populated the first time the flow seems quite normal.
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Noted, with my BIG THANKS!