A day in the life of user support

General discussions V2
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

A day in the life of user support

Post by G4POP » 20 Apr 2020, 07:35

Got out of bed at 0700 hrs GMT/UTC on Sunday morning having retired at 2300hrs on Saturday evening. By 0800hrs I was showered and shaved and ready to check my emails.

Apart from a couple of emails from friends I was surprised to have received 37 support request emails while I was asleep, an all-time record in all the years I have been providing amateur radio software support!

With one exception they were all because the user had not read the user guide or watched the videos, the exception was a question about something I had failed to document.

Each one had to be replied to and in a few cases multiple email exchanges were required (These were for the users that required the ‘Read the manual for me sir’ service! So, by the end of the morning I had sent over 60 emails to users!

The user that astounded me most was an amateur from the East coast of the USA who had emailed me at 11.30hrs the previous evening, bear in mind by then I was asleep, because he was annoyed at “having all of these dammed columns displayed in the Recent QSO window” An hour later he sent me another very irate email because he had not received a reply from me! Half an hour after that he threw all his toys out of his pram and started to swear and curse about the terrible user support from Log4OM.

I responded to him firstly explaining that the time zone difference meant I was in bed and secondly directing him to the relevant pages of the user guide to change the recent QSO layout, all I hasten to add without rancour or in an argumentative manner.

Several hours later I received another email from this guy, I imagine when he got out of bed, which was another huge rant suggesting that we should provide a 24 hour support line and that he did not understand the user guide so was scrapping Log4OM and going to tell all his friends what awful software and support we provide, I did not respond!

Having cleared the emails I checked the forums for support questions which luckily our other team members had mostly resolved. After that the day proceeded fairly normally. :) :) :)
73 Terry G4POP

IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: A day in the life of user support

Post by IW3HMH » 20 Apr 2020, 09:16

Terry, please inform the user we will give him a 100% refund of the support service for 2020 and big discount on the next 2.5 update.

Luckily for a single unsatisfied user we have 10.000 good friends here (some of them should read the manual at least to search the right answer to their questions :roll: )

Serious mode: Please use the FORUM to pose your questions. Answers will help us creating a good knowledge base for everyone, now and forever.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH

W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP » 20 Apr 2020, 12:34

G4POP wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 07:35
Got out of bed at 0700 hrs GMT/UTC on Sunday morning having retired at 2300hrs on Saturday evening. By 0800hrs I was showered and shaved and ready to check my emails.

Apart from a couple of emails from friends I was surprised to have received 37 support request emails while I was asleep, an all-time record in all the years I have been providing amateur radio software support!

With one exception they were all because the user had not read the user guide or watched the videos, the exception was a question about something I had failed to document.

Each one had to be replied to and in a few cases multiple email exchanges were required (These were for the users that required the ‘Read the manual for me sir’ service! So, by the end of the morning I had sent over 60 emails to users!

The user that astounded me most was an amateur from the East coast of the USA who had emailed me at 11.30hrs the previous evening, bear in mind by then I was asleep, because he was annoyed at “having all of these dammed columns displayed in the Recent QSO window” An hour later he sent me another very irate email because he had not received a reply from me! Half an hour after that he threw all his toys out of his pram and started to swear and curse about the terrible user support from Log4OM.

I responded to him firstly explaining that the time zone difference meant I was in bed and secondly directing him to the relevant pages of the user guide to change the recent QSO layout, all I hasten to add without rancour or in an argumentative manner.

Several hours later I received another email from this guy, I imagine when he got out of bed, which was another huge rant suggesting that we should provide a 24 hour support line and that he did not understand the user guide so was scrapping Log4OM and going to tell all his friends what awful software and support we provide, I did not respond!

Having cleared the emails I checked the forums for support questions which luckily our other team members had mostly resolved. After that the day proceeded fairly normally. :) :) :)
That's very unfortunate. I am sure all of us using Log4om (Except that guy) feel as I do and appreciate Log4om and all you guys do. Its a great program and you guys do a great job with all of the help you provide including the User Guide. Keep up the great work. ;)
Mike-W2MJP

wb2bin
Novice Class

Post by wb2bin » 20 Apr 2020, 18:37

I, for one, most appreciate the support. I am a newbe to this program but I did print out the manual and have read it completely twice. I keep it by the table with I am watching TV and read during the commercials. I learn something new every time I pick it up.

There is a learning curve with anything good.

Thank you very much for all the hard work you guys do.

Greg,
WB2BIN

W3LI
Old Man

Post by W3LI » 20 Apr 2020, 22:43

Terry, your absolutely right. There are so many times when I want to jump in and tell these folks to read the manual, but I don't. I admit that I had a few issues myself because I did not read the manual in the old days, but they were resolved calmly. This is a hobby and should be fun.
Hope you and the other support team members are safe and remain healthy.
Andy... W#LI

KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO » 20 Apr 2020, 23:27

wb2bin wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 18:37
I, for one, most appreciate the support. I am a newbe to this program but I did print out the manual and have read it completely twice. I keep it by the table with I am watching TV and read during the commercials. I learn something new every time I pick it up.

Greg,
WB2BIN
Greg,

Tnx so much for that step to print the manual. Albeit, I can assure you it is hard to keep up with Terry and Daniele as they are like unstoppable machines. They keep working and producing more and more.

Those of us on the Alpha & Beta Teams are kept busy with testing new features, elements and repairs to problems y'all find.

As for the User Guide ... I can like guess that the version you printed is well out of date as Terry always has updates. See my post in the Log4om V2 FAQ about developing a habit to check for new UG updates.

At the least a quick check of the User Guide is a good starting point as, odd's are, there will likely be an answer therein.

Tnx again, Greg and I hope to work you before too long.

Thanks for using Log4OM V2.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX

W2MJP
Old Man

Post by W2MJP » 20 Apr 2020, 23:43

KI5IO wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 23:27
wb2bin wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 18:37

Greg,
WB2BIN
Greg,

Tnx so much for that step to print the manual. Albeit, I can assure you it is hard to keep up with Terry and Daniele as they are like unstoppable machines. They keep working and producing more and more.

Those of us on the Alpha & Beta Teams are kept busy with testing new features, elements and repairs to problems y'all find.

As for the User Guide ... I can like guess that the version you printed is well out of date as Terry always has updates. See my post in the Log4om V2 FAQ about developing a habit to check for new UG updates.

At the least a quick check of the User Guide is a good starting point as, odd's are, there will likely be an answer therein.

Tnx again, Greg and I hope to work you before too long.

Thanks for using Log4OM V2.
Instead of printing for that same reason mentioned that its always being updated. I recommend people add it to their desktop as shortcut as I did. Much easier to navigate and search specific issues. And when its updated you delete the old and create a new.
Mike-W2MJP

DK9JC
Advanced Class

Post by DK9JC » 21 Apr 2020, 18:26

G4POP wrote:

Terry, it's up to you. I would only reply with "RTFM". You could also stop E-Mail Support completely and direct them to the forum. You and Daniele should think about a paid support service, where you fix issues "in private" for $15 / €15 via paypal if someone wants a direct line.

I always find it amazing how cheeky some people get, especially when the software costs nothing and no support is owed at all.

Better get on the radio and have some fun instead of this E-Mail BS.
73 de John, DK9JC (AK9JC stateside)
https://www.dk9jc.de

G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP » 21 Apr 2020, 18:35

DK9JC wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 18:26
G4POP wrote:

Terry, it's up to you. I would only reply with "RTFM". You could also stop E-Mail Support completely and direct them to the forum. You and Daniele should think about a paid support service, where you fix issues "in private" for $15 / €15 via paypal if someone wants a direct line.

Can't do that, we try to be well mannered and provide best support possible..

Lele and I don't want to charge it's against the basic principals of what we do, donations are different and at the discretion of the user.
73 Terry G4POP

DK9JC
Advanced Class

Post by DK9JC » 21 Apr 2020, 19:08

G4POP wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 18:35
Lele and I don't want to charge it's against the basic principals of what we do, donations are different and at the discretion of the user.
Well, I understand this approach. I would be interested to know whether the people who write to you by e-mail at least donate something afterwards?
73 de John, DK9JC (AK9JC stateside)
https://www.dk9jc.de