Map windows on initial screen

General discussions V2
G0VAX
Novice Class

Map windows on initial screen

Post by G0VAX »

Hi All,

Is it possible to hide/switch off the map windows on the initial setup? Or, could it be made optional?

Best Wishes

Brian G0VAX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Map windows on initial screen

Post by G4POP »

No it's hard coded in the framework.

Why don't you want it?
73 Terry G4POP
G0VAX
Novice Class

Post by G0VAX »

Hi Terry,

I don't like Google maps. Thats the top n bottom of it. Everything else is fantastic!!!!!

Brian G0VAX
K8JHR
Novice Class

Post by K8JHR »

I, too, would like to remove the map from the main display window. For one, it very often displays the wrong location for the other operator. For two, I would like to put that space to better or at least a different use. For three, would like to compress or reduce the size of the logging application on screen, to make room for other applications.

Is there any way to improve the accuracy of the other station location display ... I presume not, as I further presume it is limited to the data provided by the other operator to callsign databases. Is this correct?

Thank you for considering my take. K8JHR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The accuracy of the map location depends on the other station providing an accurate grid reference in the look up providers web site.

Clearly a six digit grid provides greater accuracy than a 4 digit one but there is no data available from any source to pin point it to street level.

When the day comes that the other stations provide GPS accurate locations on line then all software will be able to improve accuracy
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

G4POP wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 09:27 The accuracy of the map location depends on the other station providing an accurate grid reference in the look up providers web site.
Unfortunately thousands of active hams listed on QRZ.com are too lazy to check and correct their locator square. For English hams, several hundred are shown incorrectly at IO91vl and over a thousand are in the ocean off the western coast of Africa at JJ00aa (zero degrees lat/long). I’ve mentioned it to several hams that I work, but they haven’t made the effort to change their QRZ entry.

I’ve suggested on here that a user entered “rogue” square facility would help avoid pointing our beams in the wrong direction. I appreciate that it’s a QRZ problem, not specifically a Log4OM one, but to quote a UK advert “every little helps”.

73 Dave
K8JHR
Novice Class

Post by K8JHR »

THANK YOU, Terry and Dave, for a prompt and direct reply to my inquiry.

OK, so it is not a perfect world! In addition to your observations, I understand some hams intentionally enter erroneous, but "close," grid data to obscure their actual location on the map for privacy and security reasons, notwithstanding their addresses are accurately listed and can easily be transferred to a map application for pinpoint accuracy. As they say, we can run, but we cannot hide!

Happy trails to you. James - K8JHR -
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Post by W4EBB »

With all due respect to others, I cast my vote vigorously in support of the maps. I just love to look at the maps on every contact.

I could support the Main F6 area having a menu in the configuration section where each person could select what they wanted to see.

Charlie
W4EBB