Manually entering old QSO's

General discussions V2
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Manually entering old QSO's

Post by WA2SQQ »

I’m aware that Terry has previously commented that a future release might include some way of more easily manually adding old QSO’s. He suggested entering the most basic QSO data, than using the “UPDATE” feature to populate the name and QTH. Problem is, many of the contacts have passed on, and some calls have been reassigned. When I switched to LOG4OM I though I had finally entered all QSO’s going back to 1970. While cleaning the shack I just discovered another log book from the mid 70’s, so the update just got restarted! I’d be interested in hearing how you manually add QSO’s, especially in volume.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Manually entering old QSO's

Post by G4POP »

It was added some time ago it's called Lazy Log see the user guide
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

I've tried it - it's great for entering the primary QSO data, but the ops info, city state country relies heavily on using the "UPDATE" feature. Many stations have passed on or calls reissued.Too many steps to enter a single QSO

How about a fixed mode where:
>All CAT communications are disabled
> You can manually set date, band, mode - until you want to change it
> A window to type in freq and any "notes"
> One screen that shows all the basic QSO data

How about this approach?
Could a custom spreadsheet in Excel be created, with some utility to export it to an ADIF file that LOG4OM will import and merge into the existing database?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

So do it in Excel and use the online excel to adif converter then import the ADIF
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Is there a specific order or field name that should be followed? I'm assuming that LOG4OM can import and combine such an ADIF file?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Once converted to a true adif format Log4OM will understand the structure for import
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WA2SQQ wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 19:03 How about a fixed mode where:
>All CAT communications are disabled
> You can manually set date, band, mode - until you want to change it
> A window to type in freq and any "notes"
> One screen that shows all the basic QSO data
Having read your comment on the QRZ forum "Lazy Log" utility is so user unfriendly" I revisited your post here.

1. CAT has no effect in Lazy log?
2. Resetting the date, time, band, mode etc just requires a fresh entry or an auto increment of the time?
3. How much simpler than typing f 14125.555 can we get?
4. The right hand pane already displays the QSO's entered and the top pane full detail?

The Lazy Log style of manual QSO entry was requested for years by many users and so far the feedback has all been good so I cant understand why your having so much trouble and wanting to construct CSV files and then have to convert those files to ADIF before importing the ADIF into Log4OM?

The commands outlined in blue only need entering once and the QSO's then are entered by a single line of text followed by pressing the 'Enter' key on your keyboard.

Mistakes in entries can be deleted before saving the QSO's to the main log

Admittedly there is no provision to enter comments but that can always be added at some future date if we get enough demand for it.

Lazy log.jpg
Lazy log.jpg (125.68 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
73 Terry G4POP
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

Terry
I appreciate your very detailed response. I have come up with another method which is much easier, but I'm reluctant in posting details without first sharing the details with you. Working from home during the Covid 19 situation has me having very little free time. ASAP I'll send you a private message with details.
Again many thanks!