ADIF field for "nickname"

General discussions V2
K2GAV
Advanced Class

ADIF field for "nickname"

Post by K2GAV »

I wonder why there isn't an ADIF field for a person's nickname. By nickname, I mean the first name people prefer to be called. For me, Theodore, my nickname is Ted.

To me, this seems like a very handy bit of data to have in my logbook for a colleague. When I talk to them it's nice to know what they like to be called.

Does anyone know why there hasn't been a nickname field?
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV
Kenwood TS-990, Elecraft KPA-1500
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: ADIF field for "nickname"

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Ted,

we only use the ADIF 3 standard but we´re not the ADIF organisation so we´re don´t make it. Much better to ask
the guys of adif.org, HI ...

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K2GAV
Advanced Class

Post by K2GAV »

Yes, Juergen, I know that. HI I was asking this crowd if they know why there isn't one. Of course, it's not the purview of this group to standardize ADIF, but there are many smart people here.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KI5IO »

K2GAV wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 12:18 Yes, Juergen, I know that. HI I was asking this crowd if they know why there isn't one. Of course, it's not the purview of this group to standardize ADIF, but there are many smart people here.
Ted,

Why don't you do what I have done for years with Log4OM and other logging APPs. Put the OM's commonly-used name in the Comment or Note fields?

I seriously doubt you would get the ADIF committee to even consider such an added field in the ADIF standard.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
K2GAV
Advanced Class

Post by K2GAV »

Thanks. You're likely correct on whether the ADIF committee would be open to such a suggestion.

My method has been to add to the beginning of the Name field (typically already filled in by a lookup), either an equal sign meaning the first name is what they prefer, or their nickname with a hyphen before their formal first name. Both your method and my method are kind of clunky for what I (at least) think is as important a field as many of the other obscure fields in the standard. Example:

= Kevin Brown
Ted - Theodore H. Szypulski

I like my method because it puts the nickname next to the legal name, right where you'd intuitively look for it. I'd prefer a specific field for it though.
Best wishes,
Ted Szypulski
K2GAV