Database Structure Question

General discussions V2
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Database Structure Question

Post by WA2SQQ »

I have a database structure question. I'm assisting a friend to migrate to LOG4OM. Logs that were imported into LOG4OM from DXKEEPER appears to combine the City + US State in the same line, where LOG4OM has a separate field for state. Imported QSO's show a blank field.

I realize that LOG4OM can't be expected to do imports with 100% accuracy. My question is more about the consistency of ADIF across different logging programs.
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Re: Database Structure Question

Post by AE6DS »

Internal db structure shouldn't matter if the exporting log and importing log both use standard ADIF. I recently imported a number of QSOs from DXkeeper via ADIF and the STATE info did transfer correctly.

Did you import via ADIF or via CSV?

Dale
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

I used ADIF.
Let me explain a bit. I’m using DXKEEPER to create an ADIF file of paper logs. Once completed, I export the data into Log4om. I find this much easier than using the method used in Log4om.

First I imported a small portion of my Log4om file into DXK to see if the fields populate correctly.
For the most part it does, but the station location for US stations appears in DSK’s QTH field, combining city and state; e.g. “Newark NJ”. That got me to notice that in DXK’s log input screen there isn’t a separate field for STATE.

If I manually enter City and State into DXK, in the one line format, STATE in Log4om is blank. I did some digging in DXK and found a STATE field in the AWARD screen. That was at 2 AM, so I decided to call it a night. I’m hoping that States inputted into that field will transfer to Log4om correctly.
AE6DS
Advanced Class

Post by AE6DS »

Ah, gotcha.

FWIW my DXK exports contain a valid <STATE> but don’t recall if I did anything special to make that happen.

Dale
WA2SQQ
Old Man

Post by WA2SQQ »

I'm thinking that STATE gets populated when the data comes from QRZ or some similar service. Manually entering, I'm not seeing the STATE field. What's more confusing is that their documentation calls out a STATE field as part of the AWARD tab, but in looking at that part of the program I don't see any field to manually enter it. Very confusing - Log4om is so much easier to use!