Change Freq Column Format

General discussions V2
n2lrb
Novice Class

Change Freq Column Format

Post by n2lrb »

For some reason my "Freq" column shows frequencies at 144206.0 Instead of 144.206. It makes it hard to read and differentiate from when I input frequencies for 20 meters such as 14.206, which would show as 14206. It all runs together. Please tell me there is a way to change this. I looked in the manual and it has all manner of changing column titles but not the format of the Freq column.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Change Freq Column Format

Post by G4POP »

There is no way to change the format
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Change Freq Column Format

Post by G4POP »

Further to your complaint on Facebook regarding a lack of response even though I replied during the Christmas holidays!

Here is a full explanation from Lele about why we use that format, which I found by searching this forum!

"Log4OM stores frequencies in KHZ. After decimal point indicates Hz (144555.678)

ADIF protocol requires frequencies are expressed in MHZ. So everything after MHZ is after a decimal point (14.555678), driving up to 6 decimals to save until single Hertz.

CAT software like Omnirig reports frequencies in Hz (144555678)

Due to several problems with local user number formats, decimal separators and other similar issues we decided to "force" the format into database that way.

Despite the local display of the number, you should see in DB frequencies like 144MHz 600KHz (R0 VHF) represented as 144600.000 This will be exported into ADIF as: 144.600000

The format shown on Log4OM is using the user local configuration, so comma or dots for decimal, and vice-versa for thousand separators.

Internally the format is ALWAYS without thousand separators and with DOT as decimal separator.

The field format in the database is a STRING for several reasons (mainly related to portability and precision up to 6 decimal points) and it is internally converted into decimal when needed

Some software doesn't comply with those rules, and exports ADIF as KHZ.

When Log4OM reads numbers "over some reasonable values" it tries to correct them assuming those frequencies are KHz instead of MHz

Generally speaking this is a very complex thing to deal with due some "environment discrepancies" when talking with other systems"
73 Terry G4POP