Running in administrator mode

General discussions V2
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Running in administrator mode

Post by W4GHV »

I made the recommended changes to Omnirig and the main program to administrator mode.

Now I get an error from TQSL saying it cannot run in that mode.
I have to tell it to proceed anyway. I did not set it to run in that mode.

Any suggestions?

Enjoying the changeover to this!
Once you watch the 3 videos about the QSL manager, its EASY!

Still have not figured out sharing with two computers and sync'd to Google Drive.
I used the telnet cluster along with the N1MM logger cluster in the contest and had a great time.
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
https://www.qrz.com/db/W4GHV
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Running in administrator mode

Post by G4POP »

Never needed to run Tqsl in admin mode, are you sure the message is not your anti virus software reacting? but if you need to do the following:

In the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\TrustedQSL

Right click on the TQSL.exe

Select 'Properties'

Go to the 'Compatibility' tab

Click the button 'Change settings for all users'

Check the box 'Run this program as an administrator'

Click 'Apply'

Click OK

Click OK
73 Terry G4POP
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Post by W4GHV »

It was a TQSL message saying it should NOT be run in the admin mode.
One option is to allow it to run this time.
This warning started when I changed Omnirig & LOG4OM to admin mode.
I guess I can change it to admin mode so I won't get the warning.

Thanks, Bo
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
ve3wej
Old Man

Post by ve3wej »

why are you running log4om and omnirig in elevated/admin mode I dont, and mine is working fine
W4GHV
Advanced Class

Post by W4GHV »

I read it somewhere. Its a nuisance having to click yes each time to get it started. I'll switch back to see how it does.
On another nice program CWGET you must run it and Omnirig in Admin mode. Its a great CW copy program.

Thanks for the info.

73, Bo W4GHV
73, Bo W4GHV since '54
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Not needed to run TQSL in admin mode as Terry stated before. Admin mode is needed when Omnirig should be
work together with Log4OM and other Software that needs CAT support to. Means if CAT shold be work
for WSJT-X and Log4OM and .... you have to run all these in admin mode. By the way, JTalert and LotW can be
used in normal mode. They don´t receive any informations from Omnirig.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
k4em
Advanced Class

Post by k4em »

I have the same issue in Admin mode trying TQSL. What I do is, Make sure Log4om is shutdown, before I use LOTW I right click the Log4OM icon on computer screen. I uncheck 'run as Administrator', OK, go back out. Then double click Log4om icon, it should start without asking any questions.

You have started Log4om without admin privileges, you can now use LOTW. When finished, shutdown Log4om, right click log4om icon, recheck, run as administrator, OK. Restart Log4om as normal.

Dave
k4em
kd7mw
Advanced Class

Post by kd7mw »

When a program that's running "as Administrator" spawns another program (such as TQSL), that latter program will also run as administrator. TQSL has an internal check and complains that you shouldn't be running it as administrator, presumably because there is some risk that a hacker could use it to take over your PC. I long ago checked the response box that said something like "run this program as administrator from now on." It's been running fine ever since.

It's too bad that to have CAT communication between programs, we have to run Log4OM and the other programs as administrator. It is a small security risk. But that's how Windows works. I wish there was a "slightly elevated" mode where multiple programs could access ports, but not write to system folders. But Microsoft doesn't listen to me... :D
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

kd7mw wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 22:02 It's too bad that to have CAT communication between programs, we have to run Log4OM and the other programs as administrator. It is a small security risk. But that's how Windows works. I wish there was a "slightly elevated" mode where multiple programs could access ports, but not write to system folders. But Microsoft doesn't listen to me... :D
Its not just to run CAT its because you need Omnirig to multithread and that cannot be done unless its run as an administrator which raises the need to run all programs that are using OmniRig to do so also
73 Terry G4POP
w7btm
New user

Re: Running Log4OM in administrator mode

Post by w7btm »

Log4M will not connect to my IC-7610 unless I run it in administrator mode. I run TSQL in normal mode.

Initially, I set the shortcut to admin mode for "all users". This worked but every time I shut down LOG4OM I would get an error asking if I wanted to "shut down TSQL so that it can be started in normal mode" and stating that TSQL should "never" be run in admin mode. But I'm NOT running TSQL in admin mode!

So... I removed the "all users" setting, and just clicked the "run as admin" for the single user. This also works and now I don't get the warning.
logom.png
logom.png (24.99 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Note that I am still running TSQL in normal mode. I have not changed it.